Announcement

Collapse

Need help?

Please include the year, make and model of your GDRV ("2019 Reflection 315RLTS") along with the make and model of the component with the issue ("Dometic RM1350 refrigerator", "Furrion FMCM15-BL microwave", etc) in your question.
See more
See less

2018 Solitude310GK

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2018 Solitude310GK

    I want to install a solar panel on the rooftop. I was going to glue the brackets to the roof instead of drilling holes. After reading many forums this became a bad idea. What kind of structural support is there to drill holes and place screws. Also where is the best place for the wiring going through the roof? Any assist will be very helpful.

  • #2
    Originally posted by JCarter View Post
    I want to install a solar panel on the rooftop. I was going to glue the brackets to the roof instead of drilling holes. After reading many forums this became a bad idea. What kind of structural support is there to drill holes and place screws. Also where is the best place for the wiring going through the roof? Any assist will be very helpful.
    I noted this was your first post, so please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members when you get a chance. It (hopefully) will allow you to get the most out of your time here on the forum.

    I don't know much about the Solitude's interior, but this thread may give you a few ideas as the 337 is also a 5th wheel: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/3...s-solar-wiring

    There's several Solitude owners here that may be able to help. Second Chance has a new Solitude with pre-run wiring. Rob--can you tell where the wiring runs?

    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

    Howard, 2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

    Comment


    • #3
      Go to the solar sub-forum on this forum. There's lots of information there and documents to go through. (There's a "Reference Material" link on the solar forum main page.)

      Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by howson View Post

        I noted this was your first post, so please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members when you get a chance. It (hopefully) will allow you to get the most out of your time here on the forum.

        I don't know much about the Solitude's interior, but this thread may give you a few ideas as the 337 is also a 5th wheel: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/3...s-solar-wiring

        There's several Solitude owners here that may be able to help. Second Chance has a new Solitude with pre-run wiring. Rob--can you tell where the wiring runs?
        The solar wiring runs down a built-in race just behind and to one side of the front AC on the roof. It comes out in the basement somewhere - I haven't bothered to look for it in the basement, though. I believe all the newer rigs are coming with this race (capped off with a plate and sealant). I'm not sure about a 2018.

        Rob
        Rob & Laura
        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
        2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
        2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
        (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
        Full time since 08/2015

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JCarter View Post
          I want to install a solar panel on the rooftop. I was going to glue the brackets to the roof instead of drilling holes. After reading many forums this became a bad idea. What kind of structural support is there to drill holes and place screws. Also where is the best place for the wiring going through the roof? Any assist will be very helpful.
          Almost everyone just attaches the solar panel brackets with wood screws right into the roof panels. Cover the screws with self-leveling sealant. I think the roof panels are 5/8" thick plywood.

          The 2018 310GK does have a built-in chase that goes from the roof down into the storage basement. I posted pics in a thread titled Satellite/solar roof access channel: Solitude 310GK

          on another forum. PM me for more info.

          -Steve
          2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
          Morryde CRE3000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
          2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
          18k B&W Companion, non-slider
          640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
          Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
          Blaine, MN

          Comment


          • #6
            Roof is 3/8" OSB (per my factory rep)
            Scott M. Barlag, RV Product Specialist, NW Indiana

            Comment


            • #7
              I believe the solar chase was added during the 2018 model year. Depending on the production date, your unit may or may not have one.

              Jim
              The moderators for this site are not GDRV employees, but we do own GDRV products.

              Jim and Ginnie
              2017 Reflection 297RSTS

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                I believe the solar chase was added during the 2018 model year.
                And just to be clear, the factory solar/satellite chase is not where Grand Design runs the wires for the factory solar system. At least not on my 2020 Solitude 310GK.
                Brian & Kellie
                2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS w/ disc brakes, Factory 300w solar
                2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor
                Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

                Previous setups:
                2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

                Comment

                Working...
                X