Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Install Question - Roof material

Hi,

I'm installing four 100w Renogy solar panels on my 2020 GD Imagine 2400BH. I'm using AM Solar Rocker Brackets because of the sloped roof. Those brackets go at fixed positions (corners) on the panels. Based on available roof space, the resulting panel placement and the fixed location of the brackets, the chances of hitting a roof truss with the bracket retaining screws (for the extra support) are something less than 100%.

So now I'm wondering if I have to hit a truss to have enough support or if putting screws in where ever the panels lie is sufficient. To me, that's answered if I knew what material was over the trusses and how how thick it was.

Does any know if it's plywood that lies on top of the trusses and if so how thick?

Thanks,
    Pete and Dana
    2020 GD 2400BH
    2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT 6.2L Gasser
    Full-Time as of 4/30/21

Grand Design uses 3/8" thick roof sheeting. The trusses are supposed to be on 16" centers , this may not always be true though. Your roof has roof vents and tank vents that may cause the centers to be different , maybe wider maybe closer together. A stud finder may help you find the trusses. Many here have just installed their panels to the roof where ever they fit the best and did not rely on truss placement.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks Country Campers! Appreciate the helpful info
      Pete and Dana
      2020 GD 2400BH
      2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT 6.2L Gasser
      Full-Time as of 4/30/21

Comment

Roof warranty? Anyone know what happens to the roof warranty if we install solar?
        2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Originally posted by cvretis View Post
          Roof warranty? Anyone know what happens to the roof warranty if we install solar?
          If the solar install is the cause of a roof failure, the warranty will not cover it. For example, if you install solar mounts and fail to seal the openings, the warranty will not cover damage that resulted from this. I'm not sure what roof you have, but here is a an example warranty from Alpha Systems:

"This Limited Warranty excludes liability for defects in or damages to an Alpha Replacement Roof Membrane caused directly or indirectly by any of the following:
          xi. Items not installed by the RV manufacturer"

In fact, when reading the warranty, they have so many exclusions that actually having a successful claim against the roof manufacturer seems to be nearly impossible for almost any foreseeable event.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by cvretis View Post
            Like anything we do to our trailers, if a modification induces a failure in a related component then it is highly unlikely any OEM (including GD) will cover the problem under a warranty claim. GD typically will not categorically state that any given action will automatically negate a warranty claim--it all depends on the situation. At minimum they won't cover the labor involved with removing and re-installing an owner's modification (including solar).

Keep in mind that the "roof warranty" is for the TPO material only. For the couple of years I've spent on these forums most problems on trailers (with TPO roofs) are induced by the failure of the owner to maintain the sealant or from punctures due to tree limbs, etc.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
            X