Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 200MK Rooftop Solar Connector

Hello,
    Picked up the unit in Oct 2020 after doing extensive research on which unit to buy. Just a little perturbed on two subjects. The GD website said units are prepared for solar with industry standard MC4 connectors. The dealer gave me quote of $2,200 + to add 380 watt system, ouch!. So, prior to delivery, I bought a complete setup from www.Newpowa.com for $550, 2 panels, MPPT controller, pigtail cables, mounting brackets etc with industry standard MC4 connectors . When we picked up the unit there was already a 180 Watt Furrion system installed- bonus right? NOT so. As it turns out the rooftop solar prep does NOT have industry standard MC4 connectors. They are using a Furrion propitiatory connector. BIG problem installing a 2nd panel. Have to cut the wires and crimp the MC4 connectors. (Buy a crimp tool & connectors etc....) Dealer said GD installed solar panels because of the new 12v ONLY refrigerator.

Also the MPPT controller was not installed correctly, the negative battery wire was left loose because the ground wire was screwed into that spot. ( I kept wondering why the batteries were slowly discharging with electrical disconnected. The green light on the MPPT was even blinking as if it were charging, must of been because of the ground wire...... ) I'd take it back to dealer for warranty, but 3 hrs one way is too far.

The second "problem" is weight. GD website says 200MK UVW is 4,800#, sticker on unit says 5,336#. My tow vehicle max is 6,000. I thought 1,200# payload would barely work, only 700# is a problem.

The unit is excellent is all other aspects. Well built and designed, just need to update website with accurate information.

Enjoy the trip!
    Steve
    2021 Transcend Xplor 200MK

Just thinking here, but leave the GD panel; alone and just install your solar set up parallel to it.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
      Just thinking here, but leave the GD panel; alone and just install your solar set up parallel to it.
      That is actually a very interesting approach Keith. As long as Steve can get wiring from the roof to the controller location, that would be a very unique solution. Use the installed panel and controller for the refrigerator, and a secondary system to run the rest of the DC loads and charge the batteries.

Steve: Regarding the weight. It's not unusual for propane and batteries to add a couple of hundred pounds to the published empty weight. But 536# seems very high. I think I'd take the unit and get it weighed and verify how much you really have to work with.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by WyoSteve View Post
        Hello,
        Picked up the unit in Oct 2020 after doing extensive research on which unit to buy. Just a little perturbed on two subjects. The GD website said units are prepared for solar with industry standard MC4 connectors. The dealer gave me quote of $2,200 + to add 380 watt system, ouch!. So, prior to delivery, I bought a complete setup from www.Newpowa.com for $550, 2 panels, MPPT controller, pigtail cables, mounting brackets etc with industry standard MC4 connectors . When we picked up the unit there was already a 180 Watt Furrion system installed- bonus right? NOT so. As it turns out the rooftop solar prep does NOT have industry standard MC4 connectors. They are using a Furrion propitiatory connector. BIG problem installing a 2nd panel. Have to cut the wires and crimp the MC4 connectors. (Buy a crimp tool & connectors etc....) Dealer said GD installed solar panels because of the new 12v ONLY refrigerator.

Also the MPPT controller was not installed correctly, the negative battery wire was left loose because the ground wire was screwed into that spot. ( I kept wondering why the batteries were slowly discharging with electrical disconnected. The green light on the MPPT was even blinking as if it were charging, must of been because of the ground wire...... ) I'd take it back to dealer for warranty, but 3 hrs one way is too far.

The second "problem" is weight. GD website says 200MK UVW is 4,800#, sticker on unit says 5,336#. My tow vehicle max is 6,000. I thought 1,200# payload would barely work, only 700# is a problem.

The unit is excellent is all other aspects. Well built and designed, just need to update website with accurate information.

Enjoy the trip!
        Steve
        I'm not a fan of the proprietary Furrion connectors. Yours is the first post I've read from an owner complaining, and I'm guessing it won't be the last.

That 180 watt panel will be useless on a day like I experienced today on the drive home--dark, dreary and rain for 8 hours. If you haven't already, consider installing a battery monitor ASAP. The best (IMO) is the Victron BMV-712 or SmartShunt (same thing without the display), but there are less-expensive alternatives.

Need a less expensive alternative? Check out:

Finally, when you get a chance check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

-- please pass this owner's feedback to the Transcend team. Not sure if the other lines are using the Furrion proprietary solar connector, but in this moderator's opinion I agree with them that not going with industry standard MC4 connectors is a mistake.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Can the Furrion rooftop connectors be removed and real ones installed? We have a 2021 Imagine, but I have not been on the roof yet to see what connector we have. Like you, I already have my own panels and controller, and I don't relish the idea of having to replace the wiring from the roof to the basement.
          Mark & Judy
          2021 F350 Lariat 4x4 7.3L Crew SB SRW
          2021 GD Imagine2500RL

Comment

Originally posted by mbergthold View Post
            Can the Furrion rooftop connectors be removed and real ones installed? We have a 2021 Imagine, but I have not been on the roof yet to see what connector we have. Like you, I already have my own panels and controller, and I don't relish the idea of having to replace the wiring from the roof to the basement.
            I think so...but I haven't read anyone's experience.

According to the Parts Lookup website there's a Jaboni Solar Port on the roof: https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/56663

There's a bare version and a MC4 version here: https://www.futuresalesrv.com/index....facturer_id=18

I'd guess that it would be a simple matter of removing sealant around the port and finding how it's secured (screwed?) to the roof and then do a one-for-one swap.

Remember, this is all conjecture based on what I'm seeing online.

Not that it helps, but I'd do the exact same thing (replace that port). Why would any owner want to be semi-forced to buying Furrion solar panels without wiring in Furrion connectors to their new panels? (Rant over...)

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
            X