EcoWorthy 190W Panels -- Good Choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EcoWorthy 190W Panels -- Good Choice?

Okay I have been reading all the comments and now am wondering if what I am looking at is a good deal or not also. Ecoworthy 190 watt solar panels are currently on sale. In looking at their specs they show 21vdc and 9 amps. Looking to parallel 4 of them as an initial solar system. Currently running with 300 ah battle borne and Victron Multiplus 3000.

Howard and Neil we have discussed my system before and I think this might be a nice add. Not sure hire big a MPPT controller to pair with it but will also upgrade to a color GX at the same time.

looking to purchase needed items over the winter then do as an early Spring project. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Kevin & Deb 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350, Diesel SRW long box Platinum
    Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
    2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Originally posted by 50ST8R View Post
    Okay I have been reading all the comments and now am wondering if what I am looking at is a good deal or not also. Ecoworthy 190 watt solar panels are currently on sale. In looking at their specs they show 21vdc and 9 amps. Looking to parallel 4 of them as an initial solar system. Currently running with 300 ah battle borne and Victron Multiplus 3000.

Howard and Neil we have discussed my system before and I think this might be a nice add. Not sure hire big a MPPT controller to pair with it but will also upgrade to a color GX at the same time.

looking to purchase needed items over the winter then do as an early Spring project. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

I could not find the 190 panels on their web page https://www.eco-worthy.com/collectio...nt=51-200-watt Were you looking at the 195 W units?

However Amazon https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...ews-filter-bar reviews are a bit spotty. Just FYI
    The best on your project.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

50ST8R (Kevin) -- I moved your post that was on Yoda 's thread about the Go Power panels so the two topics don't get mixed up. I'll be adding a few thoughts in the next post.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by 50ST8R View Post

Read up on Series vs Parallel wiring the panels will help you decide on the controller. This will effect the Voltage and Amps going to the controller. It seems most popular to have the panels wired in Series then wired in Parallel heading to the combiner box or roof gland. Lots of options to consider. A book worth reading is " Mobile Solar Power" from William Prowse explains the pro's and con's on configuring the panels that is a great read..

Good luck on your installation.
        Gary F
        2020 Solitude 375RES-R
        2019 Ford Super Duty diesel Dually

Comment

50ST8R (Kevin),
          Remember--I just know enough to be "dangerous". Hopefully TucsonJim double-checks the data below and corrects any mistakes.

As Keith mentioned, a 195W is what is on EcoWorthy's website.

Click image for larger version

Name:	panel.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	38730

IMO the performance of the panel may not be as good as two 100W panels wired in series in your Victron system with Battle Born batteries. Why?

Victron's solar controllers ("MPPT") start working when solar voltage ("PV") is 5 volts above the battery state-of-charge ("SOC").

At 6:45am (sunrise here on the Gulf Coast) my batteries are at 84% SoC at 13.2v. That means PV must be at least 18.2v for the MPPT to start generating power. (Right now a whopping 4W!)

Name:	Solar2.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	38731

I have Renogy 100W panels. Their Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp) is 17.7. Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) is 21.2. The EcoWorthy didn't post a Vmp number, so I'm going to guess it's 18.03v by establishing a ratio comparing the Renogy's Vmp to Voc (83.0339%). So the Eco's 21.6 Voc * 83.0339% gives us a Vmp of 18.03v. (Still with me?)

In my system two Renogy's are wired in series, so electrically the pair is comparable to a 200W panel. The Renogy pair's Vmp is 35.4v (17.7 x 2) due to the series wiring (voltage from each panel is added together). The Eco's is the aforementioned 18.03v.

As of this moment my system is generating 26.79 volts, or 75% of the Vmp. (It's very early in the morning!) Assuming the same performance from the Eco, 75% of 18.03v is 13.5225 volts.

So what?

Remember what was written earlier--a Victron controller won't start working until PV is 5 volts above the battery's SoC. In other words, with the Ecos wired in parallel on top of my trailer right now they would not be generating any power to my battery bank.

Name:	SOlar1.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	38732

Keep in mind, too, that the size of the panels is a consideration. Will they fit well on top of your trailer?

For a complete discussion of the decision process I used to choose my panels, read through my solar install thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/1...n-2019-315rlts

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            Keep in mind, too, that the size of the panels is a consideration. Will they fit well on top of your trailer?

For a complete discussion of the decision process I used to choose my panels, read through my solar install thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/1...n-2019-315rlts
            Howard,
            that is precisely why I asked the question. My solar knowledge is minimal so I was hopeful you experts could educate me. Based on your initial comments and the helpful video it appears I need to at least put two in series to bump up the voltage. That is important for me as I map it out. I haven’t gotten in the roof for exact measurements yet. It was only 20 degrees and windy here yesterday. I think I will try to make a photoshop replica of roof like you did. It makes good sense to try out the options without having to go up top.

i like the Renogy panels also but was looking at possible cost savings if possible. I know the MPPT and color GX will bump the cost up and try to cost out what I can do where.

it is still early in thought process but as cold as it is, working on solar concept more productive than looking at the dead, frozen grass in my yard😁

Kevin

Kevin & Deb, 2021 Reflection 320MKS
            2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW long bed Platinum series
            Last edited by howson; 12-27-2020, 10:40 AM. Reason: Shortened quote...
            Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger

Comment

50ST8R -- lots of good info in the Solar channel's Reference Material section. Don't miss Jim's Solar 101 document--lots of baseline material included there. The diode thread I posted is also a "good to know" subject, too, so you understand why these should be in the panel and how they affect performance.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                50ST8R -- lots of good info in the Solar channel's Reference Material section. Don't miss Jim's Solar 101 document--lots of baseline material included there. The diode thread I posted is also a "good to know" subject, too, so you understand why these should be in the panel and how they affect performance.
                howson

Great resources as always. I have been on the Renogy site awhile and am trying to sort out the difference n
                between the Eclipse 100 watt panel and the compact design 100 watt panel. The compact design is actually a inch longer and the voltage is different.

After getting up up on the roof and taking some measurements, it is difficult to place panels larger than the 100 size without getting a bit crazy with the flow of the roof. Will see how the photoshop method works. First graph paper plan gave me ideas but I need to explore other options to place 6-8 panels and be able to still walk freely.

Kevin and Deb, 2021 320MKS, 2018 F-350 Diesel long bed Platinum

Comment

Working...
                X