Mounting solar panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting solar panels

Okay I have a question for the experts. I want to be able to use tilt mounts on my panels. I am thinking I still need to use the z brackets to the roof then mount the tilt mounts to them. This will compensate for curvature on the roof. Correct?

Kevin. 2021 320 MKS, 2018 F-350 Diesel SRW long bed
    Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
    2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Originally posted by 50ST8R View Post
    Okay I have a question for the experts. I want to be able to use tilt mounts on my panels. I am thinking I still need to use the z brackets to the roof then mount the tilt mounts to them. This will compensate for curvature on the roof. Correct?

Kevin. 2021 320 MKS, 2018 F-350 Diesel SRW long bed
    Kevin - I built my own mounting brackets and I'm attaching a photo below. I used a piece of rectangular aluminum tube, then mounted the brackets on top. They work very well and give good clearance from the roof which keeps heat down. Take a look at the photo and it will give you an idea how yours may work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	800W 11.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	38914

Name:	800W 17.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	38915

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Kevin - I built my own mounting brackets and I'm attaching a photo below. I used a piece of rectangular aluminum tube, then mounted the brackets on top. They work very well and give good clearance from the roof which keeps heat down. Take a look at the photo and it will give you an idea how yours may work.

Name:	800W 11.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	38914

Name:	800W 17.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	38915

Jim
      Jim, The set up looks really nice. One question I keep having as I am trying to plan mine out while it is 20 degrees outside is how do you affix the cables to the roof? Dicor in places or did you find any suitable cable clamps? I have started purchasing using end of year sales and will write up my plans for others to critique very soon.

Thanks for your help

Kevin
      Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger

Comment

Originally posted by 50ST8R View Post

Jim, The set up looks really nice. One question I keep having as I am trying to plan mine out while it is 20 degrees outside is how do you affix the cables to the roof? Dicor in places or did you find any suitable cable clamps? I have started purchasing using end of year sales and will write up my plans for others to critique very soon.

Thanks for your help

Kevin
        Kevin. I drilled holes in the rectangular tubing and then used zip ties through the holes to secure the cables. You can see an example in the photo below. I did use some non-sag sealant in a couple of places where the runs were a little longer and had nothing to secure to.

If you plan on using this method, I'd suggest replacing the zip ties every six months or so. No matter how good the tie, UV light will eventually destroy them.

Name:	800W 13.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	39194
        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Kevin. I drilled holes in the rectangular tubing and then used zip ties through the holes to secure the cables. You can see an example in the photo below. I did use some non-sag sealant in a couple of places where the runs were a little longer and had nothing to secure to.

If you plan on using this method, I'd suggest replacing the zip ties every six months or so. No matter how good the tie, UV light will eventually destroy them.

Name:	800W 13.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	39194
          Thanks Jim. Glad to start having some options. I figured checking here would be a plus. It is probably 3 months before it will be warm enough to start on the roof. Hopefully I can install the controller and other items on a couple of warm days then attack the roof once I can get up there without three layers on. 😁

Comment

I'm in plan / purchase phase on my 2020 Solitude 375RES 800W solar install. Got 4 200W Rich Solar panels and tilt brackets, all from Rich Solar. I thought same regarding needing Z brackets then tilt brackets to mount the panels. I will test fit the panels and tilt brackets to see if i can get by with just them. I will be starting the install in a few weeks.
            Gary F
            2020 Solitude 375RES-R
            2019 Ford Super Duty diesel Dually

Comment

I stumbled across this yesterday. Intriguing and a different option to the Z brackets.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UY98-W...RKiM5A&index=2
              Brian
              2017 Silverado 2500 HD diesel
              2018 Reflection 230RL

Comment

TucsonJim -- I remember some of what you wrote back when you made your own mounts, but could you repeat the rationale explaining why you made your own since what was available was lacking?
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  TucsonJim -- I remember some of what you wrote back when you made your own mounts, but could you repeat the rationale explaining why you made your own since what was available was lacking?
                  The primary reason I made my own was because I'm cheap! The mounts I was considering purchasing were about $50 per set. Since I have eight panels, it was approximately $400. I made my own for less than half of that, and the material I used was thicker and more robust.

Jim (aka "cheapskate").
                  Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                  X