Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Good evening Gene
    I am not considering the Go Power inverter/charger (IC series) , Just the pure sign wave inverter ISW series. Do the above issues still apply?

Thanks for the information
    Keith
    Hi Keith,

No, wouldn't apply to the ISW-3000.
    I had IC-3000 instead on the ISW.
    Gene and Kim
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
    2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

Hi Keith,

No, wouldn't apply to the ISW-3000.
      I had IC-3000 instead on the ISW.
      Thanks Gene

After seeing what the real costs is I am just research a plan B,c,d,.......................................... well you know what I mean. My solar controller can operate the ISW 3000 remotely if I can find the control cable. Later if/when I go lithium I can get a separate charger. However in another thread I found out I can install a lithium compatible WFCO converter/charger with a 50amp output if I remember correctly.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

howson ncitro

Howard and Neil
        I am trying to wrap my head around my own thread again. Dang I hat getting old and having CRS, I know I am probably driving you guys nuts. History is repeating itself here being that I will need to have custom charge profile settings for my Crown batteries I am back to looking at an inverter charger. Even if I change batterys I am in the same boat. There are only 2 inverter/chargers that appear to be able to do what I need. The Multiplus 12/3000/120 or Magnum MS2812. I have not found a stand alone charger that has the proper charge profile, or has the ability to adjust the stages.

To monitor the MultiPlus 12/3000/120 https://www.victronenergy.com/invert...48v-800va-3kva I have gotten myself confused.

If I go with the Color Control GX https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-.../color-control I don't need anything else to plug into the MultiPlus to view status. Is this correct or do I still need the Cerbo GX ?

From what I understand the Color control GX only monitors and can not program the Multiplus from it. To program I need the MK3-USB cable https://www.victronenergy.com/access...erface-mk3-usb and my computer or the wife's lap top. I know I can get the MultiPlus pre-programmed, but if I need to tweak something I need the MK3 - correct?

Is there a simple way to have my BM 712 and my Smart MPPT solar controllers connect to the Color Control GX? Both have Bluetooth.

Sorry for the confusion here

So you know where I am coming from the Magnum can be programed from its remote panel and nothing else is needed. Victron warranty is better though. Pricing is about the same.

Thanks
        Keith I shall go humbly go to my corner now.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I’d defer to Howard on the Color Control GX but I think you are correct. You definitely need a MK3 to program, and yes I’d have one on hand even if you’re preprogrammed. You’ll need to adjust something at some point.

You might want to look at the new version they just released that does split phase (I made a post earlier today). With that you’d simplify your wiring and would not need a smart phase selector. Might help things a bit.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks Neil
            Ill haft to look up your split phase post. I only have a 30A service.

Comment

Thanks Neil
              Ill haft to look up your split phase post. I only have a 30A service.

That’s right. Everyone is running together lol. No value to you then, it’s only value is to 50 amp.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Yoda

Note that the Color Control is a CCGX and the Cerbo is a Cerbo GX. What I'm trying to emphasize is that any component with GX in the name is the central "brain" of a Victron system. You only need one. Each GX device has different capabilities, so the choice depends on the needs of the user.

And of course Neil is correct that an MK3 is required, too, for programming purposes.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  Yoda

Note that the Color Control is a CCGX and the Cerbo is a Cerbo GX. What I'm trying to emphasize is that any component with GX in the name is the central "brain" of a Victron system. You only need one. Each GX device has different capabilities, so the choice depends on the needs of the user.

And of course Neil is correct that an MK3 is required, too, for programming purposes.
                  Thanks Howard. I also learned something new the 3000 stands for VA not watts 3000VA is only 2400 W. It also appears they are putting dip switches in for initial programing without the computer - seems to be a new addition in the last few months as the manuals have changed. I was worried they did away with the charge change programming capability, but figured out it is still there. The owners manual no longer shows a range.

BTW Welcome back - how was the trip?

Thanks Keith.

Comment

BTW Welcome back - how was the trip?
                    Excellent, thanks.

I also learned something new the 3000 stands for VA not watts 3000VA is only 2400 W.
                    Respectfully disagree. The Victron will put out a constant 25 amps of 120vAC. 120 * 25 = 3000 watts. From https://eaton-upssystems.com/what-is...-volt-amperes/

You’ll notice that specs for uninterruptible power systems seldom if ever mention watts (W), but instead speak in terms of volt-amperes (VA). Watts refer to “real power,” while volt-amperes refer to “apparent power.” Both are simply the product of voltage (V) multiplied by amperage (A). Thus, a device drawing 3 amps at 120 volts would be rated at 360 watts or 360 volt-amperes.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Excellent, thanks.

Respectfully disagree. The Victron will put out a constant 25 amps of 120vAC. 120 * 25 = 3000 watts. From https://eaton-upssystems.com/what-is...-volt-amperes/

You’ll notice that specs for uninterruptible power systems seldom if ever mention watts (W), but instead speak in terms of volt-amperes (VA). Watts refer to “real power,” while volt-amperes refer to “apparent power.” Both are simply the product of voltage (V) multiplied by amperage (A). Thus, a device drawing 3 amps at 120 volts would be rated at 360 watts or 360 volt-amperes.
                      I love it when I am wrong Need to stop getting out of my corner and reading the propaganda
                      Keith

Comment

I almost remember VA vs Watts.

Watts refer to “real power,” while volt-amperes refer to “apparent power.”

Volts X Amps & Power Factor

https://shop.pkys.com/Watts-VA.html
                        https://www.electricaltechnology.org...d-complex.html
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	12-3000 Specs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.6 KB ID:	46047
                        Last edited by gbkims; 03-15-2021, 07:06 PM.
                        Gene and Kim

Comment

I almost remember VA vs Watts.

Watts refer to “real power,” while volt-amperes refer to “apparent power.”

Volts X Amps X Power Factor

https://shop.pkys.com/Watts-VA.html
                          https://www.electricaltechnology.org...d-complex.html
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	12-3000 Specs.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	46047
                          Dang it Gene - you made my head hurt again . I vaguely remember this now - not my best college course . I did pass though.

Comment

Yeah, I haven't worked with the Power Triangle in a long time and forgot how the the calculations work..

The Beer analogy is a bit easier to understand: https://youtu.be/Tv_7XWf96gg
                            Gene and Kim

Comment

When you EE guys start getting into your imaginary numbers I'm bailing. Lol.

Jim

Comment

Yeah, I haven't worked with the Power Triangle in a long time and forgot how the the calculations work..

The Beer analogy is a bit easier to understand: https://youtu.be/Tv_7XWf96gg
                                You made my head hurt again Can you imagine doing those calculations withe a slide rule? That's what I did for two years until HP came along the the 21 model. $400 which was a fortune back in 73 It took everything I had to get it and I still have it along with some others. The Professor did not trust it so a group of us spent all night comparing it ti the sign/cosign tables book we used. We actually fond an error in the book.

The programmable one(41C) saved my bacon in the PE exam (long version, not multiple choice as they are today). We could not use the chips, but we could have the program book with us.

This reminds me of a funny example that Professor Mole used in statics/dynamics class on potential energy. He was talking about potential energy and used the example of a a boy and his girlfriend in the dorm with boy on top bunk and girl below. He was talking about the increase in potential energy if the girl got up on the top bunk with the boy. The assistant grad student started laughing and told Mr Mole he had it all wrong. Professor Mole looked puzzled until the grad student stated you would then have dynamic and kinetic energy at that point. The Professor smiled, shook his head and continued. We understood it later Professor Mole looked just like Mr Magoo in the comics and his wife was just like Granny off of Beverly Hillbillys. Good memories. he helped me out a lot over my college years

Now an important question. On the Victron MultiPlus 3000 withe 120V AC pass through. If you have the inverter turned off does the 110 AC still pass through and charger/converter work? I was told the Magnum MS 2812 (other brand on my list) would not, but the set up manual and testing procedure indicate it does. If it doesn't it is off the list.

The reason I ask is I want to pull the shore power off of the distribution panel main 30A breaker. Then run it through a separate 30A breaker to the MultiPlus (required per the manual I think) wire through pass through connections and back to the distribution panel main breaker to feed the entire panel. I only want to run the inverter when needed (have it off but charger on when on 120AC). I know there will be some loads like the Air Conditioner I cant run. Remember I have only a 30 amp service.

Any help is appreciated here.

Keith
                                Last edited by Yoda; 03-15-2021, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X