No announcement yet.

True cost ofa Victron Energy MultiPlus 12/3000/120-50 120V VE.Bus PMP123021102

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoda For your first question, the Multiplus has three settings, off, charge only, and invert/charge (or some such thing). If on off, it will not charge or invert. If on charge it will pass shore power and use its internal charger to charge the batteries. In either of the first two cases if shore power is removed everything in the rig will go dead. In the invert/charge mode it will pass shore power and run the charger if needed. If shore power is removed then everything will run off of the inverter until the battery gets below the cutoff (or you overload it). This changeover happens very quickly. So quickly my microwave clock never loses time.

For the wiring, I think you may be overthinking it for a 30 amp install. I think you just need to pull your shore power feed off your existing main breaker and bring it into the Multiplus. Then take the output of the Multiplus and bring it into the main breaker. Obviously the only issue here would be you would need to watch that you do not overload the inverter, but I believe for a 30 amp install that is all that is needed.
    Last edited by ncitro; 03-16-2021, 02:23 PM. Reason: I originally said it would pass through when turned off, this is incorrect.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I was in school as a non-traditional older student and used a HP48GX graphing calculator. But that analogy Yoda is priceless.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
        Yoda For your first question, the Multiplus has three settings, off, charge only, and invert/charge (or some such thing). If on off, it will not charge or invert but will pass shore power. If on charge it will pass shore power and use its internal charger to charge the batteries. In either of the first two cases if shore power is removed everything in the rig will go dead. In the invert/charge mode it will pass shore power and run the charger if needed. If shore power is removed then everything will run off of the inverter until the battery gets below the cutoff (or you overload it). This changeover happens very quickly. So quickly my microwave clock never loses time.

For the wiring, I think you may be overthinking it for a 30 amp install. I think you just need to pull your shore power feed off your existing main breaker and bring it into the Multiplus. Then take the output of the Multiplus and bring it into the main breaker. Obviously the only issue here would be you would need to watch that you do not overload the inverter, but I believe for a 30 amp install that is all that is needed.
        Your talking the 120V side correct. 12V should still work?

Guest Jim - Thanks
        College was rough on me - I was not prepared and ended up on the 5.5 year plan. Took a year off and went to the Junior college and relearned how to study and manage time. got a whole lot of electives out of the way.

Then just before Senior Finals my Fiance of 4 years brook up with me - to this day I don't know how I made it. I had some very good friends that helped and a few understanding professors. But life changes, I moved west and all is good.

My senior final in structures was to program how to blow up the Golden Gate Bridge with as little explosive as possible. (there is a weak point) I don't think that would be politically correct today as I am sure Home Land Security would have a fit. It was as much about computer programing (punch cards/fortran on an IBM series watt 5) as it was understanding structures and physical property of materials. The absolute best class that was part of the course was at a local rock quarry to learn about explosives. The Army WW2 expert always said more is better - learned later in building in the Rockies he was wrong - control is most important. He also said if you want it done right, don't call the Marines. Found out later his son was a Marine.

Then Dr B handed out a 30 page final in thermodynamics and clearly told us to read the instructions first (5 pages). Buried on page 2 was the statement to sign the last page and turn it in. (there was a time limit) I was one of 5 that caught it and it saved my grade. He was a joker. We called him Dr B as we could never pronounce his last name as he was from a remote place in India. His English was perfect - he said Oxford cured that.

Well I digressed - back to my corner
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

That’s right, my description was all on the 120v side. 12v should be no issue.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
            I was in school as a non-traditional older student and used a HP48GX graphing calculator. But that analogy Yoda is priceless.

Jim
            Jogged my memory. I forgot if I'd tossed my old calculators or not. Found them in a nightstand.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	HP28C, 48GX.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	46123
            Gene and Kim
            2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
            2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

Jogged my memory. I forgot if I'd tossed my old calculators or not. Found them in a nightstand.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	HP28C, 48GX.jpg Views:	12 Size:	120.3 KB ID:	46123
              Nice Gene.

I was surprised to see how much a used HP48GX brings these days. Yoda, nice story where honestly, I loved structures but ended up starting out in combustion analysis, and calibration early on. Hope those with GM LS high performance engines like them. They all have my numbers running through their circuits.

Jim

Comment

I messed up the screen on my 1st run 48GX, ended up buying one off e-bay for just over $100. Amazing how much they have changed in price since I bought it back in 93, but I still have and use my original along with the replacement. All the new kids at work with the TI's just don't get it.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                  Now an important question. On the Victron MultiPlus 3000 withe 120V AC pass through. If you have the inverter turned off does the 110 AC still pass through and charger/converter work? I was told the Magnum MS 2812 (other brand on my list) would not, but the set up manual and testing procedure indicate it does. If it doesn't it is off the list.

The reason I ask is I want to pull the shore power off of the distribution panel main 30A breaker. Then run it through a separate 30A breaker to the MultiPlus (required per the manual I think) wire through pass through connections and back to the distribution panel main breaker to feed the entire panel. I only want to run the inverter when needed (have it off but charger on when on 120AC). I know there will be some loads like the Air Conditioner I cant run. Remember I have only a 30 amp service.

Any help is appreciated here.

Keith
                  Keith,

I just have a 12-3000-50 at home in prep for a later install.
                  I've got the VE.Smart Bus Bluetooth Dongle as well as a Cerbo GX.

Neil answered already about On, Off, Charger modes.
                  I'll just confirm with some screen shots from the Victron App while I put a small 120V load on the MP from a lamp bulb.
                  Changing the Mode to OFF via App or front panel switch kills 120V passthru.
                  In On or Charger Modes it does pass the 120V thru to output.

Click image for larger version  Name:	MP 12-3000-50 - Modes via  VE.Smart Bus BT & Victron Connect App.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.5 KB ID:	46177Click image for larger version  Name:	MP 12-3000-50 - Input Current Limit via VE.Smart Bus BT & Victron Connect App.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.7 KB ID:	46178
                  Gene and Kim
                  2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                  2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

Keith,

I just have a 12-3000-50 at home in prep for a later install.
                    I've got the VE.Smart Bus Bluetooth Dongle as well as a Cerbo GX.

Neil answered already about On, Off, Charger modes.
                    I'll just confirm with some screen shots from the Victron App while I put a small 120V load on the MP from a lamp bulb.
                    Changing the Mode to OFF via App or front panel switch kills 120V passthru.
                    In On or Charger Modes it does pass the 120V thru to output.

Click image for larger version Name:	MP 12-3000-50 - Modes via VE.Smart Bus BT & Victron Connect App.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.5 KB ID:	46177Click image for larger version Name:	MP 12-3000-50 - Input Current Limit via VE.Smart Bus BT & Victron Connect App.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.7 KB ID:	46178

Now you have me confused Gene
                    Neil ncitro said "If on off, it will not charge or invert but will pass shore power."

Now you say if totally off it wont pass shore power? I guess I am OK as long as I have the charger on which it will be most of the time. Also if things go bad I can pull the wiring off the pass through blocks and wire nut together to get shore power back. I guess more reading for me today.

Thanks Keith
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Now you have me confused Gene
                      Neil ncitro said "If on off, it will not charge or invert but will pass shore power."

Now you say if totally off it wont pass shore power? I guess I am OK as long as I have the charger on which it will be most of the time. Also if things go bad I can pull the wiring off the pass through blocks and wire nut together to get shore power back. I guess more reading for me today.

Thanks Keith
                      I stand corrected, I assumed it would pass through regardless (you know what they say about people who assume), but I’ve never actually tried it. Mine is always on.

Neil Citro

Comment

Confirmed from the Victron boards:

”No a Multiplus won't 'pass though' power if it is OFF.

It has a 2 pole relay on the AC In side that is normally open - so the Multiplus needs to be ON to energise the relay.

Refer to appendix B in the manual”

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                          Confirmed from the Victron boards:

”No a Multiplus won't 'pass though' power if it is OFF.

It has a 2 pole relay on the AC In side that is normally open - so the Multiplus needs to be ON to energise the relay.

Refer to appendix B in the manual”
                          Thanks - My head is hurting again reading electrical diagrams. I can say one thing for Victron They do provide a wealth of information

Comment

Working...
                          X