Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inverter / Chargers can we discuss brand differances?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter / Chargers can we discuss brand differances?

In doing my do diligence in looking at my future set up I have run across several brands that all appear to work. However I am not GEEK to understand the differences pro or con.

Following is a list of the 3000W range inverter chargers I have found.My ultimate goal is a bank of 4 100AH Battle Born battery's or similar. When I say similar they have matching cycle lengths/power output and have a costumer service center that can help.

First what appears to be the gold standard as it can be programed more than the others
    https://invertersrus.com/product/vic...-pmp123021102/ I have posted about this unit befor needing extras to program and monitor - not a bad thing.

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/pr...-msh-rv-series
    https://invertersrus.com/product/magnumenergy-me3112/
    Also has a remote monitor - extra

https://invertersrus.com/product/aim...lf30w12v120vr/
    https://www.aimscorp.net/3000-Watt-P...r-Charger.html
    https://www.aimscorp.net/3000-Watt-P...harger-UL.html
    Aims has two 3000W models, but I am not sure of the real differences. The ETL certified one has a much different charging profile for Lithium then the non ETL model. Also need an extra remote monitor to watch either.

There are other brands all costing about the same. Reviews vary widely as to the top 10 ratings

In various posts here and other places folks have changed between brands for various reasons - usually when they go to Lithium batterys.
    So what are the differences and when looking at the various brands what are key points to look for.

Appreciate you understanding in my knowledge quest.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Keith,
    I can't tell you all the differences between the brands. All I can tell you is why I went with the Victron.

1) Going "Victron" is kind of like getting sucked into the Apple universe--all their stuff works great together. I really like how the Color Control GX ("screen"), the BMV battery monitor, MPPT solar controller and Multiplus inverter/charger integrate together as one system.

2) For the Multiplus specifically, the Power Assist is an amazing capability. When moochdocking or at a 30A site, I "tell" the Multiplus (through the CCGX) that shore power can only provide 30A. When the DW exceeds that amount (coffee pot, electric skillet and any number of other things running simultaneously) the Multiplus will provide up to an additional 25A. Without any intervention from me. When the demand drops below 30A, it automatically recharges the batteries. It's awesome.

3) While just a nice-to-have feature, I like being able to see what's going on in my electrical system via remote login. Obviously the trailer must be connected to the internet (it's always connected at home) but it's very cool. (You've seen my pics before, but below is the status of my system at this very moment.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Status.JPG
Views:	690
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	39597
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      Keith,
      I can't tell you all the differences between the brands. All I can tell you is why I went with the Victron.

1) Going "Victron" is kind of like getting sucked into the Apple universe--all their stuff works great together. I really like how the Color Control GX ("screen"), the BMV battery monitor, MPPT solar controller and Multiplus inverter/charger integrate together as one system.

2) For the Multiplus specifically, the Power Assist is an amazing capability. When moochdocking or at a 30A site, I "tell" the Multiplus (through the CCGX) that shore power can only provide 30A. When the DW exceeds that amount (coffee pot, electric skillet and any number of other things running simultaneously) the Multiplus will provide up to an additional 25A. Without any intervention from me. When the demand drops below 30A, it automatically recharges the batteries. It's awesome.

3) While just a nice-to-have feature, I like being able to see what's going on in my electrical system via remote login. Obviously the trailer must be connected to the internet (it's always connected at home) but it's very cool. (You've seen my pics before, but below is the status of my system at this very moment.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Status.JPG
Views:	690
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	39597
      Thanks Howard
      This is great
      Was it hard to get used to it. Seems complicated to me, especially after looking at the programing and not understand half of what the parameter do. But I know you will drive up to help me out Its actually fun in some ways to read the information, look at installs and check reviews. Some are a bunch of BS, but others offer glimpses of how the customer support works and product quality. Example - a retired electrical engineer had issues with an Aims unit and got no where with Customer support. Others had good support. The other issue is size - with my 220rk I don't have much space available - just the front bay and some room behind the existing power panel if I clean things up a bit. Combined units (converter/charger) take up less room.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

To Howard's point. I went the "Android" route with the Magnum MSH3012RV inverter. The one advantage the Magnum has over the Victron is the AC output wiring. You can wire the inverter into both legs of the 50 amp RV panel. This is called Dual in/Dual out. The 3k inverter will only provide a total of 25 amps to either leg when in use. This just makes it easier when wiring the inverter into the RV sub panel. The Victron can only be wired int one side if you have a 50 amp sub panel. The Magnum also has load assist when shore connected into anything less than 50 amp service.

Gary
        Gary F
        2020 Solitude 375RES-R
        2019 Ford Super Duty diesel Dually

Comment

Originally posted by fowlergk View Post
          To Howard's point. I went the "Android" route with the Magnum MSH3012RV inverter. The one advantage the Magnum has over the Victron is the AC output wiring. You can wire the inverter into both legs of the 50 amp RV panel. This is called Dual in/Dual out. The 3k inverter will only provide a total of 25 amps to either leg when in use. This just makes it easier when wiring the inverter into the RV sub panel. The Victron can only be wired int one side if you have a 50 amp sub panel. The Magnum also has load assist when shore connected into anything less than 50 amp service.

Gary
          Thanks Gary
          Appreciate your input on the Magnum unit. I am not smart phone savvy (but it looks like I need to be nowadays). I can always ask SWMBO
          When I first heard the term 5G I was asking myself who in the world would want to pay 5G for a phone. I only have a 30 amp service so it somewhat makes it easier.

Thanks again
          Keith

Comment

Yoda I had a Magnum 2812 with remote display. It worked great, but I decided last year I wanted to switch to a Victron to gain power assist and have the single pane of glass interface with my solar controller and BMV. I was able to sell my Magnum for most of what I paid for it, so it did not sting too bad. I was happy with both, but love the GX interface for all the devices, and like Howard said, the power assist is amazing.

The charger in both was great, fully customizable to support lead acid or lithium. Victron was easier to configure but required a laptop and cable. The Magnum required the external display to configure, and was a bit more cumbersome. I know you've said you're not big on smart phones so the Magnum may be tempting.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
              Yoda I had a Magnum 2812 with remote display. It worked great, but I decided last year I wanted to switch to a Victron to gain power assist and have the single pane of glass interface with my solar controller and BMV. I was able to sell my Magnum for most of what I paid for it, so it did not sting too bad. I was happy with both, but love the GX interface for all the devices, and like Howard said, the power assist is amazing.

The charger in both was great, fully customizable to support lead acid or lithium. Victron was easier to configure but required a laptop and cable. The Magnum required the external display to configure, and was a bit more cumbersome. I know you've said you're not big on smart phones so the Magnum may be tempting.
              Neil
              How loud was the fan at full power on you Magnum 2812 ? I have been told my GP 3000 I was looking at sounded like a jet engine winding up. .It looks like Magnum has a new model ME3112 that is close to your model. I can't tell if it is lithium capable unless the charging profile is fully programmable.

Thanks for your thoughts

So other folks know I have dropped Aims off the list as several folks have had warranty issues in several threads. I also don't need a hybrid or smart (auto power boost) model. I am still looking for a stand alone inverter, but may go inverter charger if it is simple and reliable. Fan noise is of concern. How loud is the Victron multiplus unit? Do they have a simpler inverter unit in the 3000W range?

Thanks folks
              Keith

Comment

Yoda

Not much help on fan noise, I had both of them in the front bay and could never hear either of them. When setting it up I guess I could but I don’t remember it being super loud. It’s right below our bed now and I never hear it at night.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I've looked at several different inverters. I did go with the factory setup, for now, but I'm sure one day I'll expand. I always prefer the K.I.S.S. philosophy, and that's why I'd probably lean to the GoPower inverter. Although the Magnum will do pass through on 2 legs, it's limited to 30 amp pass through, unless something recently changed. The GoPower has 50 amp pass through on both legs, meaning, you only have to interrupt power coming in and wire it in series. No need worry about which leg you want to power with the inverter or additional transfer switches. Does it have a fancy, color display? Nope. Just a simple LCD display. But it keeps wiring changes to a minimum, no sub panels needed, and sticks with the K.I.S.S. philosophy.
                  Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                  2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                  2020 Momentum 351M
                  2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
                    I've looked at several different inverters. I did go with the factory setup, for now, but I'm sure one day I'll expand. I always prefer the K.I.S.S. philosophy, and that's why I'd probably lean to the GoPower inverter. Although the Magnum will do pass through on 2 legs, it's limited to 30 amp pass through, unless something recently changed. The GoPower has 50 amp pass through on both legs, meaning, you only have to interrupt power coming in and wire it in series. No need worry about which leg you want to power with the inverter or additional transfer switches. Does it have a fancy, color display? Nope. Just a simple LCD display. But it keeps wiring changes to a minimum, no sub panels needed, and sticks with the K.I.S.S. philosophy.
                    Thanks Curtis The Go power inverter I am looking at ISW300 does not have a pass through https://gpelectric.com/products/3000...wave-inverter/
                    - just 25 A output, But it has a very loud fan at load per boyscout

Are you thinking of the inverter/charger they offer IC-3000-12 https://gpelectric.com/products/ic-s...erter-charger/
                    Thanks Keith

Comment

It is the inverter charger
                      Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                      2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                      2020 Momentum 351M
                      2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
                      X