2020 315RLTS solar ready system capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 315RLTS solar ready system capacity

Hello all I have installed two 100 watt panels with a 30 amp controller. The panels are 10 amp. My question is this: how much load can the factory installed cables handle? It seems that if I increase the amount of panels and upsize the controller at some point the cables will become the weakest link? I have read that people have pulled new cables for their systems using the factory ones as the fish, is this really necessary?
    Steve and Tammy Robinson - 2020 Reflection 315RLTS, 2020 RAM 3500 6.7 Turbo Diesel SRW, Short Box.

Originally posted by Stevocanada View Post
    Hello all I have installed two 100 watt panels with a 30 amp controller. The panels are 10 amp. My question is this: how much load can the factory installed cables handle? It seems that if I increase the amount of panels and upsize the controller at some point the cables will become the weakest link? I have read that people have pulled new cables for their systems using the factory ones as the fish, is this really necessary?
    The 10 AWG wires can handle quite a bit of current. I'm using 10 AWG with 800 watts. I have two strings of panels. Each string consists of four panels in series at 100 watts each. Then, the two strings are tied together to form a parallel connection down to the controller. The driving factor is the current in the wires. If you run your panels in series, the voltage increases and the current stays the same. If you connect the panels in parallel, the voltage stays the same and the current increases.

I prefer to use this chart for calculating acceptable current and voltage drops.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire Size.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	40290
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks for the input, interesting stuff.
      Steve and Tammy Robinson - 2020 Reflection 315RLTS, 2020 RAM 3500 6.7 Turbo Diesel SRW, Short Box.

Comment

I just ordered 2 additional panels for 1200 watts total - currently have 800 watts (2 series 200 watt panels in 2 parallel banks - will add the new panels in series - 3 series 200 watt panels in 2 parallel banks. Still safely using the existing 10AWG wiring and MC4 connectors from the roof. Running a 150/85 charge controller.
        2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
        1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
        2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Thanks for your reply/info.

Comment

Working...
          X