Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inverter Install. Is above Lead Acid batterys OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter Install. Is above Lead Acid batterys OK?

Moderators - if this is not the right place, please move.

Been reading through a lot of threads, pictures, videos, but have not run across the answer.

I am planning the install of my future Go Power ISW 3000 inverter. Instruction say separate or isolated from battery's. In the near future I hope i will have Lithium ones like Battle Born so this should be an non issue then. However for now the location is about 12" to 14" above my 2-12V battery's that are in vented cases connected to the exterior vent port. I can seal the cases better if needed. This is all in the front bay of my fifth wheel. The location has good ventilation and access for wire runs. Yes I could go into the pass through on the opposite side of the wall, but I pack it pretty full with chairs and stuff so ventilation and protection around the unit would be a concern.

Thanks for any thoughts

Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    Moderators - if this is not the right place, please move.

Been reading through a lot of threads, pictures, videos, but have not run across the answer.

I am planning the install of my future Go Power ISW 3000 inverter. Instruction say separate or isolated from battery's. In the near future I hope i will have Lithium ones like Battle Born so this should be an non issue then. However for now the location is about 12" to 14" above my 2-12V battery's that are in vented cases connected to the exterior vent port. I can seal the cases better if needed. This is all in the front bay of my fifth wheel. The location has good ventilation and access for wire runs. Yes I could go into the pass through on the opposite side of the wall, but I pack it pretty full with chairs and stuff so ventilation and protection around the unit would be a concern.

Thanks for any thoughts

Keith
    I would go for it. Well ventilated and well vented are key. The concern would be a hydrogen build up where a spark could generate a fire. But there are other electrical connections in the front compartment such as relays, motors, etc. which could ignite the hydrogen if they were to arc also. As long as you are not allowing hydrogen gas to concentrate, you should be fine.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I would go for it. Well ventilated and well vented are key. The concern would be a hydrogen build up where a spark could generate a fire. But there are other electrical connections in the front compartment such as relays, motors, etc. which could ignite the hydrogen if they were to arc also. As long as you are not allowing hydrogen gas to concentrate, you should be fine.

Jim
      Thanks Jim
      I had not thought about the existing relays/circuit breakers that are right next to the battery boxes.

Back to my layout.
      Have a great week - snow expected here tonight (we really need it). Want some your way?
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Don't seal your battery boxes. Air has to enter as well as exit to ventilate the boxes.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

My question is similar, but with Battle Born batteries. Will it be OK to have them both in a box on the tongue? I found this at Tractor Supply. It only weighs 17 pounds.
          Attached Files
          2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Originally posted by cvretis View Post
            My question is similar, but with Battle Born batteries. Will it be OK to have them both in a box on the tongue? I found this at Tractor Supply. It only weighs 17 pounds.
            I keep my three Battle Born batts on the tongue. They will be exposed to larger temperature variations, so shade them or heat them if needed.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
            X