Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Grief!! - Did I order the wrong MPPT SmartSolar Charge Controller???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoda Keith,

The Victron MPPT is installed and held in with industrial Velcro. I'll need to go out in the frozen tundra to plug it into the Imagine to program it. This unit has a jumper installed where I'll need to do a little digging to see if this is really needed. It has to do with the load portion of the controller which is not used.

Victron also recommends that the controller is to be plugged into the battery feed before the panels so I need to better understand if this is needed or to simply shield the panels while plugging the unit into battery power. Curious how this works with rooftop mounted panels with respect to the battery switch.

Jim
    Attached Files

Comment

Guest ,
      This may be helpful: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/...roduction.html

My 150/100's manual also states to connect battery power first before PV. Somewhere I thought I read it as a warning (or caution) but can't find the reference. Regardless, that's why I have a Blue Sea cutoff switch between the panels and controller and a circuit breaker (with cutoff switch) between the battery bank and controller.

Snipped from my master diagram:

Click image for larger version

Name:	circuit breakers.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	41748
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Howard,

Thanks for confirming. I may try to shield the panels in the padded case while plugging into the rig. I may be wrong but I believe the goal is to eliminate PV power being fed to the controller so it can perform a proper start up. Curious how the rigs originally equipped with solar are wired? Maybe this is a Victron requirement only?

I set up the controller and it worked perfectly. Now to thaw out.

Jim
        Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2021, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
          howson Howard,

Thanks for confirming. I may try to shield the panels in the padded case while plugging into the rig. I may be wrong but I believe the goal is to eliminate PV power being fed to the controller so it can perform a proper start up. Curious how the rigs originally equipped with solar are wired? Maybe this is a Victron requirement only?

I set up the controller and it worked perfectly. Now to thaw out.

Jim
          I read this in my manual as well, as do as Howard does. I assumed it was because if in partial shade the panels could be putting out minimal voltage and could cause the controller problems? Just a guess though.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Guest --

The Jaboni GD uses has an On/Off switch on the controller, so as long as all the wires are correctly attached it will turn on (or off) correctly.

The Furrion NET-ZERO FSCC30PW-BL / FSCC60PW-BL / FSCC60PWM-BL manual has the following warning: NEVER connect the solar panel array to the controller without a battery. Battery must be connected to the controller first. That's probably the warning I've read in the past.

Like Neil, I try to always remember to turn off PV power first then battery power if I need to remove power completely from the Victron MPPT.

Glad yours worked! You'll enjoy messing with the Victron and watching the display on the VictronConnect app.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson, ncitro

Thank you for the advice.

Jim

Comment

Working...
              X