Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the BMV 712 be turned off for winter storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the BMV 712 be turned off for winter storage?

That may sound like a dumb question, but the instructions say to connect the power cable to the positive battery feed. In that configuration it will still have power unless disconnected each time were not using the trailer. I also have not found if it can be turned off with a button or setting and not draw parasitic power. Looks like it is always on from the manual.

My plan is to wire the battery's into a Victron Lynx power connect. By using equal length battery cables the Power connect will balance the battery's. The power connect has several connection points that I can wire the solar chargers too. They will be on their own separate breakers/switches so can also be isolated. From the power connect I was going to install 2 main disconnect switches. One to the future inverter, the second one on the power feed to the trailer distribution bar. That way I have a true disconnect switch It will be the same as pulling the positive cables, but much easier.

On the negative side I will connect a cable to the shunt from the power in bar negative side and the the other side of the shunt to a new negative distribution bar where I plan to tie in all the ground wiring (currently a big mess with a bunch of wire nuts that tie to the frame). That bar will be grounded to the trailer frame

So can the BMV 712 be wired to the house side of the disconnect switch for power. In the off position no power would go to it. What I don't know is will this set up mess up the function getting power down the line so to speak. Its still a direct path to the battery bank, just through the Power in connections and a switch. I did read in the manual that when turned back on I will need to reset it.

Thoughts?

The reason I asked this is I am setting up a master layout and wiring plan so I can remember where everything goes.

Thanks
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda

My master cutoff does just that--everything is disconnected from the battery bank. The second cutoff duplicates the OEM setup.

The only thing about the BMV is you'll have to resync the SoC after disconnecting power. And that's no big deal.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

For what I notice, the BMV 712 might not be using enough power to make a difference. Mine is always on with the disconnect switch off and the app says infinite. Its been a week since I came back from my last trip and the batteries are still at 51%.
      2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn, CC SB 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
      2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

The 712 in addition to having Bluetooth built in uses some different circuitry that cuts it's parasitic load I think by a factor of ten. I used to have it configured so that the disconnect cut power to the monitor, but I decided I wanted it to run all the time so I moved it. I can see both sides but since I plug it in in my shop for storage it was kind of a mute point.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

My trailer is in my back yard and i have the 712 wired directly to the batt bank. Last camping trip was in November. I like looking at the App readings from my house. The Bluetooth connection is strong and i can see everything including the temperature. I do not think there is enough draw on the batteries to move the needle so to speak.
          Gary F
          2020 Solitude 375RES-R
          2019 Ford Super Duty diesel Dually

Comment

Since this post is in the Solar forum, I would think the RVs in question would have Solar Panels that would be providing power all the time while in storage. And wouldn't that take care of any parasitic draws? Or do folks turn off their Solar Panel charging while in storage? And if so, is there a reason why? I want to be sure I am not missing something here for when I plan my own Solar install.

Thanks, Billm321
            Bill M.
            2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
            2021 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost

Comment

Originally posted by BillM321 View Post
              Since this post is in the Solar forum, I would think the RVs in question would have Solar Panels that would be providing power all the time while in storage. And wouldn't that take care of any parasitic draws? Or do folks turn off their Solar Panel charging while in storage? And if so, is there a reason why? I want to be sure I am not missing something here for when I plan my own Solar install.

Thanks, Billm321
              Bill
              I had to chuckle at your comment. Yep solar keeps working until the snow covers them for 3 months. Sometimes the snow melts and then covers again. First winter I had my new trailer I learned a lesson. Disconnect Everything (take positive lead off) otherwise you will have totally dead battery's. The GD master disconnect switch does not turn everything off.

I was thinking of leaving the solar panels connected, so in case of a thaw they would power up again, but I think they will draw power even if covered. It appears the Victron SmartSolar does.Still reading but I believe the Blue-tooth feature is always powered whether on or off. So I will have it on a switch/breaker too.

Thanks for your thoughts

Thanks everyone for the help on this. I'm going to wire it so when I turn the master switch off, its off.
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda Keith,

I've not read the thread so hopefully I'm not doing a repeat but for me the answer is no. I stored my unit with the main battery switch turned off where all systems are off except the BMV712. I do not recall the draw on this device but it is extremely low. Once you fully charge your battery(s) and set the SOC to 100%, you really do not want to kill the BMV712 since you will not know your true SOC. I stored my battery and have not lost a single percentage on SOC since early November.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BillM321 View Post

Thanks, Billm321
                  Bill,

Its best to start with a full charge at 100%, to synchronize and set SOC to 100% in the BMV712 then draw the battery down to 50% SOC and completely disconnect all loads except the BMV712 for storage.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                    Yoda Keith,

I've not read the thread so hopefully I'm not doing a repeat but for me the answer is no. I stored my unit with the main battery switch turned off where all systems are off except the BMV712. I do not recall the draw on this device but it is extremely low. Once you fully charge your battery(s) and set the SOC to 100%, you really do not want to kill the BMV712 since you will not know your true SOC. I stored my battery and have not lost a single percentage on SOC since early November.

Jim
                    Thanks Jim
                    Worth some thought, Before a trip I always have the unit plugged for a few days so battery's are at a full SOC before I leave, So re-setting the BMV 712 should not be a problem. Doing this several day plug in also gets the fridge cold too. But the last day I switch over to propane for travel and make sure it is working.

Comment

Working...
                    X