Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reflection 220RK where to put two 190 watt panels on roof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflection 220RK where to put two 190 watt panels on roof?

DaveMatthewsBand

Ed has a sweet set up on his 220RK and happen to take a picture of his roof showing his layout. I hope he does not mind my borrowing it from his post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/4...0-series-220rk
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Roof 220RK.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.3 KB ID:	40864

Currently my 160w panel is sitting cross wise between the AC unit and black vent pipe where the dealer ran the cabling beside to get to the basement. My panels are of similar size. My first idea is to mount my two new panels where Ed has his front ones. My cable runs would go back to the vent pipe and enter at the same location as my existing 160 panel.

Then I had a couple of ideas (DANGER )

Click image for larger version  Name:	solar layout.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.6 KB ID:	40865

So the red square is where my existing 160W panel is. It probably gets shaded buy the AC unit at times. I know I have room for Ed's layout up front (right and left as he has his) or I think I have room (purple) to do Ed's location on the right and the second one crosswise in front of the vent (T formation). Third option (green) is both crosswise in front of the bedroom vent as far forward as possible. I wont know until spring when I can actually measure. The purple and green locations allow me to easily use the panel wiring and connections to get in series, then new cable runs to the vent location. Ed's layout may require cabling to get into series as the existing cables on the back of the panel may not each other in that layout. However it would give me better roof access for inspection and cleaning.

Sorry about my drawing ability.

Thanks for any layout thoughts. With the GD roof pitch side to side and forward up front, I am not sure what would be the best way. Panels would be flat (like Ed's) on the roof. not tilted.
    Thank you ED for your roof photo. On thing - I do not have the vent cover Ed does up front. Mine is the stock one.

Thanks

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Ah yes, DMB. His post from oh-so-long ago showing how he could "boondock" in a campground away from the crowds is what got me interested in going beyond just adding batteries. But I digress. (I'm sure you know he runs the non-affiliated GD Solar page on Facebook.)

I didn't read in your text where you're considering access to other components on your roof for maintenance purposes. You may remember this was a criteria when I selected my panels and the layout--there had to be a walkway and easy access to the air conditioners, etc.

Based on the number of threads and posts from the planning stages of this project, your install thread(s?) should be epic, Keith.

Key and foremost point to remember: don't fall off the roof! I don't want a visit from SWMBO.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      Ah yes, DMB. His post from oh-so-long ago showing how he could "boondock" in a campground away from the crowds is what got me interested in going beyond just adding batteries. But I digress. (I'm sure you know he runs the non-affiliated GD Solar page on Facebook.)

I didn't read in your text where you're considering access to other components on your roof for maintenance purposes. You may remember this was a criteria when I selected my panels and the layout--there had to be a walkway and easy access to the air conditioners, etc.

Based on the number of threads and posts from the planning stages of this project, your install thread(s?) should be epic, Keith.

Key and foremost point to remember: don't fall off the roof! I don't want a visit from SWMBO.

Howard
      Howard - I plan to do the install from side scaffolding and possibly have the mobile teck guy help. Or even consider taking it to the dealer - they have overhead scaffolding. No way I am going t be up there without help. The neighbor kids would be good to.

But you did jog my mind(ouch ) on roof access. So if I use DMB layout (one each side), but pull both panels as far forward as possible to clear the vent would give good roof access. The dealer installed one in front of the AC unit did leave plenty of room to walk around. Its just a few more feet of cable. I was thinking the orientation would make a difference but I guess not. Also with them at the side I can get snow off with my tall step ladder.

Some day I hope you can meet DW - she is actually nice sometimes

Keith
      Thanks

BTW - I am sending a PM too
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith - When I placed my panels, I cut pieces of cardboard the same size as the panels and used them as templates to make sure everything fit the way I wanted it to on my travel trailer. Even so, in this late afternoon drone shot, you can see the AC shaded a portion of one of the panels.

Jim

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drone View.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	40935
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
          I plan to do the install from side scaffolding and possibly have the mobile teck guy help. Or even consider taking it to the dealer - they have overhead scaffolding. No way I am going t be up there without help. The neighbor kids would be good to
          Hi Keith,

A while back, I rented scaffolding to work on an RV awning issue. When I took the scaffolding back, the rental guy pointed out that I could have rented a towable boom lift for not a lot more money. I have not tried this yet, but it looks like a good solution for lifting things and people to the RV roof . . . and a lot less work than setting up and taking down scaffolding.

Rob

Name:	Towable Boom Lift.png
Views:	371
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	40937

Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Keith,

A while back, I rented scaffolding to work on an RV awning issue. When I took the scaffolding back, the rental guy pointed out that I could have rented a towable boom lift for not a lot more money. I have not tried this yet, but it looks like a good solution for lifting things and people to the RV roof . . . and a lot less work than setting up and taking down scaffolding.

Rob

Rob LOL You really want me to get into a pickle. If I tried to work one of those I would probably destroy the trailer I already have the scaffolding and the stabilizing out riggers to keep it stable.Ill get some split foam tube insulation to make sure it does not scratch the trailer. Pool noodles would work too. But I appreciated the laugh this morning. It would make for a viral U-tube video with me on it......flashback to its a MAD MAD World and the fire engine extension ladder scene. I can see it now

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Keith,

Rob

I used one of those to remove a tree in 2019, its where I park my trailer now. Its incredible how affordable some machine
              Jonathon, Sarah, Things 1, 2, & 3 Higham
              2020 Silverado 1500
              2021 Transcend Xplor 297QB

Comment

Working...
              X