Thinking about upgrading my factory solar system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never see this screen under Settings:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 4.24.26 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	331.9 KB ID:	46826
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

Brian bertschb
      It's the Touch 50's Menu where the offline firmware is at.
      Device List > Settings→ Firmware→Online updates.
      I don't have the Touch 50. Did I miss that requirement somewhere in the manual? I thought I could do whatever I wanted with the Victron Connect app which is one reason why I didn't order the Touch 50. The other reason is I don't have a great place to mount it. easier to just use my phone or laptop.
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

I don't have the Touch 50. Did I miss that requirement somewhere in the manual? I thought I could do whatever I wanted with the Victron Connect app which is one reason why I didn't order the Touch 50. The other reason is I don't have a great place to mount it. easier to just use my phone or laptop.
        If you can get past the internet connection problem, then VRM will have Remote Console for the Cerbo GX.
        Victron Connect shows the Cerbo GX's Hardware/Firmware and has a button for VRM portal.

Cerbo GX via VRM w/o Touch 50 plugged in:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Cerbo GX Settings, Firmware 2021-03-20.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	46831
        Gene and Kim
        2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
        2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
          If you can get past the internet connection problem, then VRM will have Remote Console for the Cerbo GX.
          Thanks Gene

I was FINALLY able to get the stupid Cerbo to connect to wifi. As I mentioned in a previous post, it saw every network in town except mine. I changed every setting I could think of to get the Cerbo to recognize the router I use with Spectrum cable. No bueno. Then it dawned on me that I could try my Pepwave cellular router. I'm not currently using it and don't have a SIM for it but you can set up the Pepwave to broadcast other wifi networks that it finds. Sooooo, I selected the wifi SSID from my "home" router to broadcast through the Pepwave. I then had the Cerbo look for the SSID for my Pepwave router and BAM! It found it right away. I was then able to add the Cerbo to VRM and use the Victron Remote Console to start the firmware update process on the Cerbo.

Now I understand why there are so many people upset with how poorly the Cerbo handles wifi. It's justified.
          Last edited by bertschb; 03-20-2021, 07:58 PM.
          Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Then it dawned on me that I could try my Pepwave cellular router. I'm not currently using it and don't have a SIM for it but you can set up the Pepwave to broadcast other wifi networks that it finds. Sooooo, I selected the wifi SSID from my "home" router to broadcast through the Pepwave.
            Good thinking Brian.
            Gene and Kim
            2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
            2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

I connected all 4 panels to the charge controller today and cleaned up the wiring on the roof. VE.Direct cables and the SmartShunt arrive this afternoon. Time to crawl into the basement now and get the 6/4 cables pulled for the inverter. I was going to do that yesterday but lost my motivation. Funny how that happens when thinking about turning yourself into a pretzel. BTW, still no smoke or sparks!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-22 at 12.46.22 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	26.3 KB ID:	47017
              Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Replaced the BMV-712 with the SmartShunt this afternoon and ran the 6/4 wires to the front compartment. I received one of two VE.Direct cables today and connected the Cerbo to the charge controller. Second cable comes tomorrow and will be used to connect the Cerbo to the shunt. I'm kinda done with this project until the inverter arrives. That may be a few weeks. Amazingly, there have been zero surprises or mistakes. Granted, I don't have the inverter yet but still...
                Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

bertschb I sent you a PM with a question about your inverter you pictured above. Your help would be greatly appreciated if/when you have a minute. Thank you!

Comment

My new Victron Multiplus II 12v inverter shipped today. I should be able to complete my system this week!!!!! It's in the mid-90's here all week so I hope I can get the inverter installed quickly before the ice cream in my freezer melts.
                    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

My new Victron Multiplus II 12v inverter shipped today. I should be able to complete my system this week!!!!! It's in the mid-90's here all week so I hope I can get the inverter installed quickly before the ice cream in my freezer melts.
                      Thats great! You got the new split phase one correct? I cannot wait to hear how it goes.
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                        You got the new split phase one correct?
                        Yep. I was starting to wonder if it was vaporware. As far as I know nobody else has it in stock and a few days after I ordered it, Continuous Resource's website showed late June availability. I was contacted last week saying the shipment was delayed so I was thinking it may be another month or two.

Connecting the inverter to my system should be very straightforward. Just a matter of working in the tight confines of the basement. Plus, I HATE wiring the Progressive Industries EMS and I'll need to open that up and replace the wiring so it goes to the inverter rather than the panel. That little box is waaaaaay too small for the wiring.
                        Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Yep. I was starting to wonder if it was vaporware. As far as I know nobody else has it in stock and a few days after I ordered it, Continuous Resource's website showed late June availability. I was contacted last week saying the shipment was delayed so I was thinking it may be another month or two.

Connecting the inverter to my system should be very straightforward. Just a matter of working in the tight confines of the basement. Plus, I HATE wiring the Progressive Industries EMS and I'll need to open that up and replace the wiring so it goes to the inverter rather than the panel. That little box is waaaaaay too small for the wiring.
                          Yeah you’re the only one I know with one ordered and I haven’t seen it discussed much so I’m curious to see.

MY PD was a pain too. When I did my inverter I actually cut the cable going into the PD and spliced it in a box partly to avoid having to mess with it lol.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                            MY PD was a pain too. When I did my inverter I actually cut the cable going into the PD and spliced it in a box partly to avoid having to mess with it lol.
                            Man, I thought I was the only one that struggled with the wiring in the PD box. I told my wife if the box was sitting on a workbench, I could wire it up in ten minutes. Trying to do that while in the basement adds two hours.
                            Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Man, I thought I was the only one that struggled with the wiring in the PD box. I told my wife if the box was sitting on a workbench, I could wire it up in ten minutes. Trying to do that while in the basement adds two hours.
                              Yeah exactly. Working with the stiff factory wire into that tight box behind the wall in the basement storage was the worst. On top of that I did it in Florida in a campground, because I was a glutton for punishment lol.

Neil Citro

Comment

Update-

I got the new Multiplus II 12v inverter installed and everything seems to be working fine. I have AC power to the RV. BUT, Victron Connect shows no AC input? Any ideas?

I just have to clean up some wiring and my solar upgrade project will be done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 10.31.51 AM.png
Views:	320
Size:	571.8 KB
ID:	50128
                                Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Working...
                                X