Thinking about upgrading my factory solar system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post
    A thought...is the Transfer Switch normally closed (powers the sub-panel even if the transfer switch does not have power)? Might want to test that by turning off the OEM inverter or unplugging the transfer switch.
    howson

Hi Howard

I unplugged the power cord from the inverter to the transfer switch and the sub panel still has power - which is good! If I understand the wiring diagram correctly, that means I should be able to remove the transfer switch and tie the wires going into and out of the transfer switch together, right? I realize I can just leave the transfer switch in place and unplugged but I'd prefer to remove it if for no other reason than to not confuse a future owner.

Thoughts?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Sorry Brian, if this is already covered or if it's just affirmation of what you know. On my 351M, there's a breaker on the main panel that is label (I think) inverter. I'd have to double check for sure what the actual label is. The circuit goes to the 20A transfer switch mounted next to the inverter in the front compartment. From there, it feeds the subpanel. Also tied in to that transfer switch is the power coming from the inverter. This is done because the inverter doesn't have any passthrough capabilities.
      Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
      2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
      2020 Momentum 351M
      2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
        Thoughts?
        Initially all I'd do is unplug the OEM inverter...

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
          ...there's a breaker on the main panel that is label (I think) inverter....The circuit goes to the 20A transfer switch mounted next to the inverter in the front compartment. From there, it feeds the subpanel.
          OffToHavasu

I believe mine is wired the same way which is why I think I can remove the transfer switch and connect the two yellow wires that feed into it (one coming from the main panel and one going out to sub panel). BTW, the breaker in my main panel is labeled "Sub Panel", not "inverter". Minor detail.

Here is a picture of the "junction/splicer" device that connects the two yellow wires running from main panel and back to sub panel with the transfer switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3173.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	44990
          Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

bertschb you're on the right track! Get a j box, mount it and make your splices.
            Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
            2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
            2020 Momentum 351M
            2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

bertschb have you traced those wires. If its the Ref circuit, it should be out of the breaker panel to the switch, and then out to the ref. That way when the power to the ref drop, the inverter takes over. Only issue would be that the inverter is not "smart" and stays on at all times with no load.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                bertschb have you traced those wires. If its the Ref circuit, it should be out of the breaker panel to the switch, and then out to the ref. That way when the power to the ref drop, the inverter takes over. Only issue would be that the inverter is not "smart" and stays on at all times with no load.
                My rig has a factory sub panel with the fridge breaker in it. I tired tracing the two yellow wires in the front compartment but gave up. They both go towards the main panel. I'm pretty sure one goes into it. It wouldn't be too difficult to confirm that but the other one appeared to go up and away from the main panel. If I had to guess, I would say it went up through a wall by the hutch in our Solitude 310GK-R.

I really need to pull the main panel out and look behind it to see where those wires go.
                Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...4GFI/300254856 one of these is extremely handy in testing and checking things. Instead of pulling panels apart, figure out what circuit runs the ref, turn it off and use the tester to confirm if voltage to the switch is dropped. after that confirm that the ref comes back on when you turn the inverter on and that it is coming back out of the switch.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

...I think I can remove the transfer switch and connect the two yellow wires that feed into it (one coming from the main panel and one going out to sub panel).

Here is a picture of the "junction/splicer" device that connects the two yellow wires running from main panel and back to sub panel with the transfer switch.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3173.jpg Views:	31 Size:	187.2 KB ID:	44990
                    I went ahead and removed all the factory solar equipment from the front compartment today. I also removed all of the other things that were on the wall (battery cutoffs, inverter remote power switch, fuses, bus bars, breakers, etc). I also spliced the two yellow wires together. These are the wires mentioned above in the photo. I flipped the shore power back on and everything worked fine! No surprises.

This is a big relief as this part of the project was a little daunting. Installing the new gear should be pretty straightforward from here. I still have a ton of work to do but I understand what I'll be doing so I'm not worried about it. I'm still waiting for the new BBGC3 270ah BB batteries, charge controller and Multiplus. Roof sealant arrives tomorrow evening so I'll continue installing the solar panels Tuesday. I cut out a new piece of plywood that I plan to screw to the existing wall in the front compartment then mount the new gear to that. I added carpet to it but purchased and cut sheet metal to mount the charge controller and Multiplus on. I can't believe how much time I've spent on this project and right now all I have to show for it is one solar panel on the roof that isn't connected to anything

I'm not sure how I'll mount the BBGC3 batteries. I need to set them in the front compartment and see where they best fit. It looks like stacking is an option with these new batteries so I'll consider that as well. Tomorrow I plan to relocate my Ford TPMS receiver from the wall in the basement to under the floor of the basement. I need to splice the cable to get more length so it will reach.

Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

UPDATE:

I'm still waiting for the new Victron Multiplus II 12v but I've made some progress:

- All four solar panels are mounted (wiring isn't cleaned up and secured yet)
                      - Victron Charge controller installed
                      - Victron Lynx Distributor installed
                      - Two BattleBorn 270ah batteries installed (side by side, not stacked)
                      - Victron Cerbo mounted - waiting for cables

I uncovered two of the solar panels (1 series panel in each parallel string) just now and flipped the breaker on to supply power to the charge controller. I know some of you who are following this thread are probably wondering if I'm going to burn my RV down or electrocute myself but so far everything I've done has worked first try. And I've done what for me is major surgery to the wiring in this RV.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3206.PNG Views:	5 Size:	281.1 KB ID:	46816

Next up is to run the 6/4 wire up to the front compartment so I'm ready when the Multiplus arrives. I should get the Victron SmartShunt and VE.Direct cables Tuesday. When the SmartShunt arrives I'll swap out my BMV-712 shunt for this new one.

I'm having trouble getting the Cerbo to recognize my wifi network. It sees every network within a mile of me but not the one that is 5' away. I've set up unsecured guest networks on both 2.4 and 5. No dice. It will NOT recognize my network. Tried using my phone as a hotspot. Nope. In searching, it appears there are a lot of complaints about the Cerbo and wifi connection issues. Before we went full time, I tossed a dozen Ethernet cables. Wish I would have kept ONE so I could connect this stupid Cerbo to the internet and at least update the firmware.

A big thanks to all of you who have offered advice and answered my questions in this and other threads. I couldn't have done this project without your help.

BTW, before I finish this project I'll be renaming my Victron devices, cleaning up wiring and doing all the housekeeping. I just want to make sure everything works first.
                      Last edited by bertschb; 03-20-2021, 04:34 PM.
                      Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Wish I would have kept ONE so I could connect this stupid Cerbo to the internet and at least update the firmware.
                        Sounds like it’s going great. My only suggestion on the Cerbo was a firmware update, can you connect to it with your phone via Bluetooth to update the firmware? I know my PI shows up in the app as a Venus, so maybe the Cerbo shows up there as well?
                        Last edited by howson; 03-20-2021, 05:13 PM. Reason: Trimmed quote...easier to read Neil's response.
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

...t and at least update the firmware.
                          Do an offline firmware update using a USB stick or microSD card, Brian. Page 36 of the Cerbo owner's manual. https://www.victronenergy.com/upload..._Manual-en.pdf

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Do an offline firmware update using a USB stick or microSD card, Brian. Page 36 of the Cerbo owner's manual. https://www.victronenergy.com/upload..._Manual-en.pdf
                            I tried that but without a wifi connection to the Cerbo, I can't see any of the screens shown in the manual. The manual is not very well written. I'm assuming when it says "Navigate to Settings → Firmware → Offline updates.", it's referring to the Victron Connect app. If so, there is only one option available under Settings and that is network (see below). There is no firmware. I also can't add the Cerbo to the VRM. It says "The installation with the specified portal ID could not be found." Victron needs to hire new technical writers. Either that or I need to regain some lost brain cells from my youth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-20 at 3.37.53 PM copy.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	46821
                            Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                              ...can you connect to it with your phone via Bluetooth to update the firmware?
                              Yes, I can connect to the Cerbo via Bluetooth but the only menu option I see under Settings is "Network".
                              Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Yes, I can connect to the Cerbo via Bluetooth but the only menu option I see under Settings is "Network".
                                Brian bertschb
                                It's the Touch 50's Menu where the offline firmware is at.
                                Device List > Settings→ Firmware→Online updates.

edit: It's in the Cerbo GX's settings via Touch 50 or Remote Console via VRM portal.
                                Last edited by gbkims; 03-21-2021, 07:42 AM.
                                Gene and Kim
                                2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                                2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Working...
                                X