No announcement yet.

Thinking about upgrading my factory solar system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I figured it out. I had to go into the Remote Control panel and actually choose the name for AC Input 1. I chose "Shore Power". Everything else on the Victron Connect screen was already named correctly. Weird!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 12.03.42 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	594.0 KB ID:	50137

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 12.16.09 PM.png
Views:	280
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	50138
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

It's mesmerizing...

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 12.22.22 PM.png
Views:	290
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	50140
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

bertschb -- can the new Multiplus show the loads on the two phases, a single, or combined? The image in the last post look just like mine (which is a single phase Multiplus).

Did you take a picture of how it is wired? (I sure hope so!!!)
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          bertschb -- can the new Multiplus show the loads on the two phases, a single, or combined? The image in the last post look just like mine (which is a single phase Multiplus).

Did you take a picture of how it is wired? (I sure hope so!!!)
          I'm not sure if it can show both legs for the load. I'll fiddle with that.

As for pics of the wiring - it's simple. You just run your 6/4 wire from shore (or in my case the EMS) into the AC-In 1 input on the inverter. Then you run a 6/4 wire from AC-Out 1 to the RV electrical panel. Is that what you were asking? I'm not sharing any pics of my install until I get the wiring tidied up a bit
          Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

I'm not sure if it can show both legs for the load. I'll fiddle with that.

As for pics of the wiring - it's simple. You just run your 6/4 wire from shore (or in my case the EMS) into the AC-In 1 input on the inverter. Then you run a 6/4 wire from AC-Out 1 to the RV electrical panel. Is that what you were asking? I'm not sharing any pics of my install until I get the wiring tidied up a bit
            When I went back and looked at the configuration I noted "AC Input 2" on the screen. Does your Multiplus have a second input for the other 50A leg in your camper? That's what I'm curious about (and want to see pics of the connections).

I understand the need to make stuff look halfway decent. But don't sweat it too much--it's a rare person that can reach the workmanship standards set by a certain Canadian moderator I happen to know...
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Does your Multiplus have a second input for the other 50A leg in your camper? That's what I'm curious about (and want to see pics of the connections)
              Here is a picture of the bottom of the new Multiplus II. If you look at AC-IN, you'll see connections for L1 and L2. I misspoke in my earlier post by saying "AC-Input 1". It's just "AC-IN".

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 12.54.08 PM.png
Size:	935.0 KB
ID:	50150
              Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

Here is a picture of the bottom of the new Multiplus II. If you look at AC-IN, you'll see connections for L1 and L2. I misspoke in my earlier post by saying "AC-Input 1". It's just "AC-IN".

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 12.54.08 PM.png
Size:	935.0 KB
ID:	50150
                Ah hah! But look closely--there's a N, L1, ?, and L2 on your AC IN connection. My Multiplus doesn't have an L1 and L2, "just" slots for the hot, neutral, and ground.

Name:	Multiplus.PNG
Views:	287
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	50153

Comment

Ah hah! But look closely--there's a N, L1, ?, and L2 on your AC IN connection. My Multiplus doesn't have an L1 and L2, "just" slots for the hot, neutral, and ground.
                  Correct. "PE" is ground by the way.

Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

... can the new Multiplus show the loads on the two phases, a single, or combined?
                    howson

I've tried to find a way to display each leg independently but I haven't figured out how to do that. But in looking at this further, I'm starting to wonder if it's only showing one leg. I assumed it was showing both. The screen shot below shows the system with my front A/C unit running in High Auto. Surely it's drawing more than 231 watts!

Name:	IMG_3275.PNG
Views:	291
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	50186

I then kicked on (added) the main A/C unit and it jumped to 1,868 watts. 1,600 watts for an A/C unit sounds reasonable.

Name:	IMG_3276.PNG
Views:	266
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	50187

Shouldn't my display be showing 3,000+ watts with both A/C units running? I was thinking maybe it was supplementing battery power with just one A/C running (hence the 243 watts) but I don't see anything coming from the batteries.

Any ideas?

Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

• bertschb

So you peaked my curiosity. I downloaded the manual and it looks like PowerAssist is only available on L1, and when inverting it ties the two lines together, so no split phase is available. I would bet that means the UI is only going to report the shore power for L1. If you unplug though, it will invert for both lines (as they are then tied together), and the UI for AC loads will show correctly.

Neil Citro
                      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

• ncitro -- I thought the cool thing about this new Multiplus was PowerAssist was available to both legs? PowerAssist is only applicable when connected shore power...so not quite sure what's going on.

Of course both legs are PowerAssisted by default when connected to a 30A or less shore power connection as the two legs are tied together as one. I assumed "both legs" meant when connected to a 50A circuit...with two legs.

I was hoping for a power measurement from both lines, too. One of the minor things I wish I could easily see on my CCGX is the total shore power draw of both legs, but if that's possible I don't know how.

We'll have to rely on bertschb (Brian) and Yoda (Keith) to unlock the secrets.

Comment

• Originally posted by howson View Post
                          ncitro -- I thought the cool thing about this new Multiplus was PowerAssist was available to both legs? PowerAssist is only applicable when connected shore power...so not quite sure what's going on.

Of course both legs are PowerAssisted by default when connected to a 30A or less shore power connection as the two legs are tied together as one. I assumed "both legs" meant when connected to a 50A circuit...with two legs.

I was hoping for a power measurement from both lines, too. One of the minor things I wish I could easily see on my CCGX is the total shore power draw of both legs, but if that's possible I don't know how.

Yeah I’m just kind of guessing because the book does not talk about the CCGX integration. What it looks like the intent is, is pass through of both legs, and inverting of both legs. This would remove the need for the smart phase selector, or manual selector switch. But yeah, power assist on L1 only is kind of a bummer. I agree it would also be nice to see the power draw of both phases.

Below are the relevant sections of the manual I saw.

Neil Citro
                          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

• Originally posted by howson View Post
                            ncitro -- I thought the cool thing about this new Multiplus was PowerAssist was available to both legs? PowerAssist is only applicable when connected shore power...so not quite sure what's going on.

Howard your funny. I am struggling to figure out how to install my single phase Victron and you think I might unlock the secretes of the new split phase one? However I can give you the answer to the universe and everything - it's 42.
                            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

• Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Yeah I’m just kind of guessing because the book does not talk about the CCGX integration. What it looks like the intent is, is pass through of both legs, and inverting of both legs. This would remove the need for the smart phase selector, or manual selector switch. But yeah, power assist on L1 only is kind of a bummer. I agree it would also be nice to see the power draw of both phases.

Below are the relevant sections of the manual I saw.
                              I think part of the question is whether the power assist is based on the total amp draw or just the phase it is displaying. I originally got a GoPower 2000 because it would pass through both phases. It would only power assist on the amp draw of phase 1 so it was only marginally useful. I made a crossover connector that acted like a 30 amp power adapter to get the entire load on phase 1 so that I could use my small honda genset. When I switched to a Magnum, I went one phase and switched the circuits so the ones I wanted to invert were on 1 phase - on my rig it was a 1 wire change. Hopefully the Victron has done it better.
                              2018 Reflection 303rls
                              MORryde IS, FlexArmor roof
                              Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
                              2017 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Comment

• Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                                I would bet that means the UI is only going to report the shore power for L1. If you unplug though, it will invert for both lines (as they are then tied together), and the UI for AC loads will show correctly.
                                I think you're right. I unplugged shore power this morning to test the inverter. Each time I added a load, the UI appeared to report it correctly.

BTW, I'm very impressed with the inverter so far. I was running the following this morning from the inverter:
                                Clothes dryer
                                Hair dryer for ten minutes (wifey)
                                Two modems and routers
                                TV
                                Soundbar
                                Coffee machine (on but idle)
                                Two laptops

UI showed the AC load at about 2,950 watts.

The funny thing is I told my wife what was running and I thought she just had the washing machine running but she said it was in dryer mode! I just tried the 15k A/C on High/Auto and it only drew 900 watts or something like that. I unplugged the cable from the SmartShunt to the battery so it reset my battery capacity back to 100% (I think it's closer to 90%). Once the battery gets fully charged I'll see how long I can run the A/C.

Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Working...
                                X