Thinking about upgrading my factory solar system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by howson View Post
    ncitro -- I thought the cool thing about this new Multiplus was PowerAssist was available to both legs?
    The cool thing for me Howard is the ability to power both legs while inverting. No need for a manual switch or the AM Solar Smart Phase Selector. Although I need to monitor what I run while inverting, as far as I can tell so far, everything in my RV now has power while on the inverter. That is a HUGE deal to me. PowerAssist would just be a bonus.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

• Not quite done cleaning up the wiring but here is my new system:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3280.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	50248
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

• Really clean that looks great. I’m glad you like it, I think the thing is just a beast. It’ll run either my of Coleman or Dometic AC units on high with no easy start installed. It’s amazing.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

• Some random observations from testing my system today...

I charged the batteries up, shut off shore power and started the front A/C at 11:00AM. The sky was high overcast and partly cloudy when I started. I ran the A/C for two hours and the batteries were at 65%. By then solar had dropped to about 600w. The most I got was about 1,000w. Soooooo, I can easily run the A/C for 4-5 hours which is better than I expected. The battery cables were pretty warm after two hours but not hot. It definitely gave the entire system a good workout.

I then shut off the A/C, turned shore power back on then turned the A/C back on. It took 95 minutes to fully charge the batteries. Again, that's better than I expected.

So far I'm super impressed with the system and I STILL haven't burned the RV down or made any mistakes. Once again, I thank all you folks here on the forum who offered advice along the way.

We've been stationary here in Palm Springs since September but plan to leave here in a week or two. When we return this fall I plan to use my solar system exclusively for power during the winter. Electricity is VERY expensive here so it will be nice to reduce the electric bill. Of course, they still charge you even with the power shut off but at least the bill will be lower. At a cost of about $13,000, I figure it will only take about 30 years to break even on my upgraded solar system
          Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

• bertschb -- it will be priceless when they shut off power and you're still able to stay comfortable.

One issue to remember: it is very easy to inadvertently overload the inverter and drain the batteries. For example, you have both air conditioners humming on shore power and the water heater on (120vAC). You leave the camper for a walk around the park and don't realize shore power dropped for whatever reason. Your inverter will do it's best to keep powering everything demanding power--sending the inverter into an overload / reset / overload cycle.

It can even happen when you're in the camper since the Multiplus is so fast to switch over to the inverter you may not even notice until you hear beeping and wonder, "What's that?".

If you haven't read my overload thread, now's a good time to read it (or read it again) as it will likely make more sense to you.

Your setup looks excellent, Brian. I always cringe when I see unprotected positive posts--yours looks neat, tidy, and protected. Well done!

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

One issue to remember: it is very easy to inadvertently overload the inverter and drain the batteries.
              That's a good reminder Howard. The good news is we're heading back to Oregon soon where A/C won't be needed until August :-)

I did read your overload thread but I'll read it again for a refresher. It will probably make more sense now. I need to look at my power needs differently now and adjust accordingly. May switch to propane for the water heater and I'll definitely need to be careful with high electrical loads while inverting.

I still have some configuration work to do. I imagine there is some way in Victron Connect to get notified of alerts via text or email. I haven't looked into that yet. That would help with the scenario you described.

Getting closer...
              Last edited by bertschb; 04-12-2021, 10:58 AM.
              Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

bertschb -- can the new Multiplus show the loads on the two phases, a single, or combined? The image in the last post look just like mine (which is a single phase Multiplus).
                As mentioned in a previous post, Victron Connect only shows loads on one leg with the new Multiplus II 2x120. I asked for more details on this in the Victron Community forum and got these two replies.

First from another user:
                "I believe the Multiplus II 2x120 only monitors power on the L1 side so its only seeing half of the RV "L1" loads when the the RV is powered by 120/240 "Split phase" sources like a 50 amp pedestal connection. It bypasses the L2 straight through to the RV."

Then from a Victron employee commenting on the post above:
                "That's it exactly. But we’re still looking to improve that; and most likely we’ll be able to make it show data for L2 as well, with a firmware update. If you ask me again in 4 weeks, I’ll know more!"

Sooooo, it appears we may get a firmware update down the road that will show loads from both legs which would be awesome!

Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

• Originally posted by bertschb View Post

As mentioned in a previous post, Victron Connect only shows loads on one leg with the new Multiplus II 2x120. I asked for more details on this in the Victron Community forum and got these two replies.

First from another user:
                  "I believe the Multiplus II 2x120 only monitors power on the L1 side so its only seeing half of the RV "L1" loads when the the RV is powered by 120/240 "Split phase" sources like a 50 amp pedestal connection. It bypasses the L2 straight through to the RV."

Then from a Victron employee commenting on the post above:
                  "That's it exactly. But we’re still looking to improve that; and most likely we’ll be able to make it show data for L2 as well, with a firmware update. If you ask me again in 4 weeks, I’ll know more!"

Sooooo, it appears we may get a firmware update down the road that will show loads from both legs which would be awesome!

That is encouraging for sure. I could see a firmware update to show the draw on L2, that should be pretty straightforward to calculate and display. Great news!
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

That's it exactly. But we’re still looking to improve that; and most likely we’ll be able to make it show data for L2 as well, with a firmware update. If you ask me again in 4 weeks, I’ll know more!" Sooooo, it appears we may get a firmware update down the road that will show loads from both legs which would be awesome!
                    Dang...that would tempt me to upgrade. Please keep me informed, Brian.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Dang...that would tempt me to upgrade. Please keep me informed, Brian.
                      I'll have my eyes peeled for firmware updates and will share if I see something Howard.
                      Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

• Update:

I just wanted to update you guys on my new solar system. It has worked flawlessly since installation about a month ago. I got my right knee replaced on Wednesday and to prepare for that, my sister in law invited us to park at their place in La Pine, OR so my wife would have some support if needed. They have full hookups but I told them I wanted to see if my new solar system would work well enough to stay unplugged for the full 5-6 weeks we plan to stay here. It has only been five days since we arrived but the lowest my batteries have dropped to was about 65% overnight. It isn't hot enough here to need air conditioning but we run whatever we want in the RV. The only concession I make is to run the water heater from propane.

The highest output I've seen from my panels so far is just under 1,300 watts but we haven't had a bright sunny day yet. The next three days are supposed to be sunny so it will be interesting to see if output goes above 1,300 watts. My array is 1,460 watts. My panels are not tilted.

While recuperating, I stare at my Victron VRM Online Portal to see how the system is performing. It's amazing to me how much amperage the system puts out just from a few solar panels.

Time for another pain pill
                        Last edited by bertschb; 05-15-2021, 11:23 AM.
                        Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Time for another pain pill
                          Heal quickly, Brian!

FYI, our systems appear to perform about the same. Awesome, isn't it?

I also run the water heater on propane, but only run the heater when hot water is needed.

The shortfall to our setups is definitely when air conditioning is required.

Comment

Heal quickly, Brian!

FYI, our systems appear to perform about the same. Awesome, isn't it?
                            Thanks Howard. Yes, it is awesome! In order to reduce propane consumption, I ran the fireplace for a couple hours this morning. That dropped the batteries down to around 41%. I'll see how quickly the batteries recharge this afternoon. If they recharge quickly, I'll use the fireplace more often.
                            Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

• Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                              I could see a firmware update to show the draw on L2, that should be pretty straightforward to calculate and display. Great news!
                              Here's the latest from the Victron Community Forum:

"Hi, yes there is an update: its been looked into. Conclusion: its 99% sure that we'll be able to make it show data for L2 as well with a firmware update. And its being worked on already, but I expect that this will take several months minimum before its fully finished and released. Changes to a lot of parts are required, ie the firmware for both microcontrollers in the inverter/charger, and firmware in one, or perhaps even two parts in the GX device. And then I haven't even mentioned VictronConnect, VRM and Venus OS Gui yet."
                              Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

• X2, Brian - hope you have a speedy and uneventful recovery. Carol had one of her knees replaced several years ago and wished she would have done so earlier. Good to hear that your solar system is performing well. Not a surprise as you, Howard, Jim and many others are a wealth of knowledge.

Dan
                                Dan & Carol
                                2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                                2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
                                X