No announcement yet.

Please double check my wiring sizes for Solar/inverter install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoda Looking good. Assuming you have the protection you mentioned between the trailer wiring and the power in bar you should be good. I would put your 400A fuse before the switch so it is protected by the fuse as well. I could be wrong but I think your fuses should be as close to the battery (power in bar in your case) as possible so there is as little unprotected as possible.

I did run a chassis ground from the inverter, but I do not think I did from the MPPT. You may find there is not one needed.

For the solar wiring I cut the cables from the panels and used the AM solar UV rated 10/2 solar wire. Based off this video. I had 3 sets of two panels in series, so I used on MC4 connector on each to make the series connection, and then converted to the round 10/2 for the rest. I can attest that the panels MC4 cable is super stiff and inflexible and the 10/2 is much easier to work with.

https://youtu.be/ZQ1DizeGkZM
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
      Yoda Looking good. Assuming you have the protection you mentioned between the trailer wiring and the power in bar you should be good. I would put your 400A fuse before the switch so it is protected by the fuse as well. I could be wrong but I think your fuses should be as close to the battery (power in bar in your case) as possible so there is as little unprotected as possible.

I did run a chassis ground from the inverter, but I do not think I did from the MPPT. You may find there is not one needed.

For the solar wiring I cut the cables from the panels and used the AM solar UV rated 10/2 solar wire. Based off this video. I had 3 sets of two panels in series, so I used on MC4 connector on each to make the series connection, and then converted to the round 10/2 for the rest. I can attest that the panels MC4 cable is super stiff and inflexible and the 10/2 is much easier to work with.

https://youtu.be/ZQ1DizeGkZM
      Thanks Neil
      Both of the MPPT units have a chassis ground screw on the side. I vaguely remember the instructions say to us it, but I will double check.. First of the month I will place the order for the welding cable and lugs (tool to). Last thing to order later will be the inverter. If I get a few warm days I will clean out the install area, mock up the quad battery box and get the mounting plywood cut and fit. Once done I can probably do most of the work inside and mount the completed board as one unit.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Thanks Neil
        Both of the MPPT units have a chassis ground screw on the side. I vaguely remember the instructions say to us it, but I will double check.. First of the month I will place the order for the welding cable and lugs (tool to). Last thing to order later will be the inverter. If I get a few warm days I will clean out the install area, mock up the quad battery box and get the mounting plywood cut and fit. Once done I can probably do most of the work inside and mount the completed board as one unit.
        Nice! Yeah I am sure it will not hurt anything to use the ground wire. Not sure if its needed in an RV or if that would be a building code thing. Cannot hurt to run it.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Yoda (Keith)

As Jim mentioned in post #3, the wiring from the transfer switch to the Converter is confusing. Why have 120vAC switched to the converter? I suggest just deleting that connection on the schematic as it looks OK otherwise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	42648
          I've lost track of why 8 AWG was chosen for the output of the MPPTs. Is this the largest gauge wire the MPPTs will accept? These wire runs can introduce loss in your solar wiring due to the relatively low voltage / high current outputs of the MPPTs.

If you haven't seen Will's video on the topic it is worth a few moments of your time.

Common Efficiency Losses and Bottlenecks!

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard howson
            Here is the switch wiring diagram
            Click image for larger version  Name:	GoPower transfer switch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.8 KB ID:	42658
            This diagram shows shore power going through the transfer switch. Are you saying leave it tied directly to the panel and not through this switch? You suggestion does make sense. - I just need to be sure I have shore power off whenever I turn on the inverter. Probably not a problem as I would only use the inverter when shore power is off

You know I am going to get my multi meter and check out how the switch actually works. Then I will know, but from reading it kills the shore power when the inverter is turned on. It also will kills the converter when inverter is turned on which is what I bought it for.

As for as 8 awg from the MPPT to the battery's it is what I have available. I also have 10 awg marine wire. The 100/30 controller will accept 8awg and larger, but the 100/20 will requiring adapting as its limit is 10 awg.

On your install did you us ferrule connections to tie in, or just the bare wire ends? By ferrule I mean the crimp connections that have the round barrel on the ends. The barrel end would require trimming as I suspect they will be too long

Thanks fr your help

BTW can you explain how your making the PDF show up as a picture here.

Have a great weekend
            Keith
            Last edited by Yoda; 02-12-2021, 12:42 PM.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
              Howard howson
              Here is the switch wiring diagram
              Click image for larger version Name:	GoPower transfer switch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.8 KB ID:	42658
              This diagram shows shore power going through the transfer switch. Are you saying leave it tied directly to the panel and not through this switch? You suggestion does make sense. - I just need to be sure I have shore power off whenever I turn on the inverter. Probably not a problem as I would only use the inverter when shore power is off

You know I am going to get my multi meter and check out how the switch actually works. Then I will know, but from reading it kills the shore power when the inverter is turned on. It also will kills the converter when inverter is turned on which is what I bought it for.

As for as 8 awg from the MPPT to the battery's it is what I have available. I also have 10 awg marine wire. The 100/30 controller will accept 8awg and larger, but the 100/20 will requiring adapting as its limit is 10 awg.

On your install did you us ferrel connections to tie in, or just the bare wire ends? By ferrel I mean the crimp connections that have the round barrel on the ends. The barrel end would require trimming as I suspect they will be too long

Thanks fr your help

BTW can you explain how your making the PDF show up as a picture here.

Have a great weekend
              Keith
              I tried to use Ferrules but the Victron did not play with them. I managed to get the braided wire in and clamped but it took patience and time.

I think howson is confused why you need to connect the converter to the transfer switch. Most of us have inverters with chargers built in so we disabled the converter. I remember you went with a stand alone inverter and chose this transfer switch to automatically disable the converter rather than having to remember to turn it off.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I tried to use Ferrules but the Victron did not play with them. I managed to get the braided wire in and clamped but it took patience and time.

I think howson is confused why you need to connect the converter to the transfer switch. Most of us have inverters with chargers built in so we disabled the converter. I remember you went with a stand alone inverter and chose this transfer switch to automatically disable the converter rather than having to remember to turn it off.
                Yep Stand alone inverter (down the road) when SWMBO allows it. I will need the new converter when I go lithium. If I am not on lithium when I get the inverter, I will need to rewire the existing converter to the transfer switch so it is killed when inverter in on. Ill post later what I find on the transfer switch with my multi-meter

Thanks
                Keith

Comment

Yoda

OK--that's a new type of transfer switch (to me). Thanks for posting the switch diagram as it now makes sense what you have drawn.

I also did what ncitro (Neil) did--just inserted the bare wires into the Victron MPPT. Honestly I never even considered a ferrule as an option.

To your last question, if you're using Windows there's a Snipping Tool that can can capture what's on your screen and save it as a JPG. I use it all the time since the file that is created is small in size but perfect for displaying on a computer screen. The image below is only 32KB in size.

Name:	snip tool.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	42663

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    Yoda

OK--that's a new type of transfer switch (to me). Thanks for posting the switch diagram as it now makes sense what you have drawn.

I also did what ncitro (Neil) did--just inserted the bare wires into the Victron MPPT. Honestly I never even considered a ferrule as an option.

To your last question, if you're using Windows there's a Snipping Tool that can can capture what's on your screen and save it as a JPG. I use it all the time since the file that is created is small in size but perfect for displaying on a computer screen. The image below is only 32KB in size.

Name:	snip tool.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	42663
                    Thanks Howard ncitro

To solve my 8 awg PV wire fitting the 100/20 controller I did a bit of testing. 10 awg wire is .102 diameter from tables I have found. 10 awg PV wire will fit, but wrinkles a few strands (would need to be careful with a clean cut end). The maximum size pin/wire that will fit the 100/20 MPPT unit is 7/16" per my fancy drill bit set or .109. Its a snug fit but went fully home in the connection port.

So from searching there are two ways I can go to get my 8 awg PV wire to fit.
                    I can use a wire reducer at the very end such as this https://www.delcity.net/store/Non-In...SABEgINjfD_BwE Many sources have these including heat shrink. This wold mean carefully making the fitting and a short length of the 10AWG.
                    or
                    I found these https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-180599.html I can trim the pin length to fit. Note the pin diameter is .102 (match for the 10 awg wire). The connection hole has smooth bottom and sides and has a c shaped screw down top connector. It would compress a stranded wire over the entire surface area while the solid pin would not. Thoughts?

Were almost there
                    Keith

Comment

Yoda
                      High quality, pure copper stranded wire of the right size* with the minimum number of connectors or other possible sources of resistance is the configuration to obtain. What that means in this case is using the maximum wire size the unit is designed to use, which could result in different wire sizes from the solar controllers. I think that's OK because they are independent of each other.

*Right size in my opinion is the wire required by the device to deliver the expected volts and amps over the length of the wire run with a minimum of loss.

Comment

Working...
                      X