Misc Solar questions - part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
    So it sounds like I need a MK3-USB adapter to program the Multiplus and then the VE. Bus Smart Dongle to monitor it with Victron Connect?
    Go with the CCGX, Brian! Yes, I know it's $500, but it's ultra-cool and will give you the ability to monitor your entire system remotely (as long as the CCGX is connected to the internet by WiFi or a wired connection) and of course through it's screen.

For the heck of it I fired up the VRM portal and this is the current status of my system. (The CCGX screen looks exactly the same.) Been an overcast, gray day here in NW Florida. Note I don't have shore power connected thus that block is empty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Now1.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	43015

The bluetooth dongle is $78.

Cry once...
    Attached Files
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      Go with the CCGX, Brian!
      I think I'm going to go with the new Cerbo GX and GX Touch 50. The Cerbo has wifi and Bluetooth built in so I don't think I need a separate Bluetooth dongle for the Multiplus but I'm still researching that.
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

I think I'm going to go with the new Cerbo GX and GX Touch 50. The Cerbo has wifi and Bluetooth built in so I don't think I need a separate Bluetooth dongle for the Multiplus but I'm still researching that.
        That's what I'd get (it wasn't available when I bought my CCGX). Being able to remotely mount the display and have the Cerbo near all the stuff that needs to network together is a great combo.

For us weekend warriors installing something like this is a major project--but I sure do like it (can you tell?) and I would do it again...though not 100% sold on the solar. It's nice, but there's too many restrictions. I just had to turn down a boondocking opportunity because all the sites are completely covered in trees. I don't want to plan on running a generator to recharge the batteries. :(
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson bertschb

You are right, I misspoke. No built in bluetooth, you need the smart dongle for that. I did get one for mine and tried it out, but you get such limited access with it I returned it. I kept the MK3 (I use a Raspberry Pi rather than the Cerbo so I need the MK3 for that anyway) and unplug it from my Pi and into my laptop when I need to mess with the settings (have not had to do since I got it dialed in).

As far as the MK3, it will work with pretty much anything but an iPhone or iPad. Mac computer, PC, Android phone, or Android tablet all work fine. I use my MacBook to configure mine and it is flawless. Unfortunately iPhone access is limited to Bluetooth via the smart dongle, which again you cannot adjust settings on.

All that said it is a great system and I love the central point of control with the Pi. I strongly recommend you go with the Cerbo or CCGX. We went through this with Yoda and I looked up why you would go with one or the other. The Cerbo & GX Touch 50 is a bit more expensive but makes the wiring a bit easier since the tie together point can be located near all your "stuff".

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Yes, the Cerbo and Touch 50 look good to me - so far. I'm still trying to determine if I need a separate BT module. It seems to me that since the Cerbo connects to the Multiplus (via RJ-45?) and the Cerbo has BT that I shouldn't need a separate BT module. Still watching YT videos and reading white papers to understand the Victron products better.
            Brian & Kellie
            2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
            2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
            2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
            2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Working...
            X