Furrion plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion plug

We just purchased a used 2018 Imagine 3170BH and was wondering if the Furrion plug located on the trailer is already set up and wired to the battery. Would we just have to purchase the solar power suitcase and plug to the trailer. We are planning to camp without power at times and want to be ready. Thank you

Originally posted by nicman04 View Post
    We just purchased a used 2018 Imagine 3170BH and was wondering if the Furrion plug located on the trailer is already set up and wired to the battery. Would we just have to purchase the solar power suitcase and plug to the trailer. We are planning to camp without power at times and want to be ready. Thank you
    There should be a fuse between the plug and the battery. If you can locate the wires on the inside of the plug and trace for the fuse and make sure it is installed , this fuse should be 15 amp if I remember. Make sure that the suitcase solar has a charge controller with it , this is required to charge the battery.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers -- could it be as easy as using a multimeter to check for 12vDC on that Furrion connector? If the wires are connected there should be voltage there, right? Hopefully someone here who has that Furrion connector has checked or knows.

nicman04 -- do you have and know how to use a multimeter?

By the way, noted that was your first post. The moderators have put together a Welcome Letter to New Members to (hopefully) help orient newcomers to the forum. I hope you'll take a moment and give it a read (and provide feedback if desired).

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi nicman04 , the 2017 / 2018 year Grand Design seemed to change the setup quite a bit.

Here's how it's *supposed to be*
        • Furrion Plug on outside camper
        • Just behind the plug, a 15amp fuse
        • The wire is then connected to the circuit breaker under the curbside (passenger side / doorside) of the camper, right under the storage door. It's usually on the battery side of the breaker.
        • Just need to buy a solar suit case with a compatible output plug (and a charge controller)
        HOWEVER
        • Many units did not get the fuse behind the furrion plug (My unit did not)
        • Many units did not have the cable connected to the breaker, but instead it's coiled up and zip tied to the frame.
        As Country Campers said, if you put a multimeter on the plug, and get voltage, then it's connected, and you just need to find a compatible solar suitcase.
        Mike
        2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          Country Campers -- could it be as easy as using a multimeter to check for 12vDC on that Furrion connector? If the wires are connected there should be voltage there, right? Hopefully someone here who has that Furrion connector has checked or knows.

nicman04 -- do you have and know how to use a multimeter?

By the way, noted that was your first post. The moderators have put together a Welcome Letter to New Members to (hopefully) help orient newcomers to the forum. I hope you'll take a moment and give it a read (and provide feedback if desired).

Howard
          Howard,

Checking the Furrion connector with a volt meter will confirm power. The wire from this connector runs across the rig and is connected to the frame mounted breaker. I've not seen a fuse where if its there I suspect its behind the Furrion plug. Adapters to the Furrion connector are also available. It may be best to install a 15 amp inline fuse at the frame mounted breaker. I'll need to check my rig for the fuse.

https://www.zampsolar.com/furrion-adapter

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 02-21-2021, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
            ....It may be best to install a 15 amp inline fuse at the frame mounted breaker......
            I was going to debate this with you. (Source of power is the solar plug so it needs the fuse, wire guage change from the furrion to the wirerun, etc)

But the Furrion install docs agree with you (10amp though)
            https://cdn.accentuate.io/1906128912...0498778978.pdf

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

I was going to debate this with you. (Source of power is the solar plug so it needs the fuse, wire guage change from the furrion to the wirerun, etc)

But the Furrion install docs agree with you (10amp though)
              https://cdn.accentuate.io/1906128912...0498778978.pdf

Mike,

I've seen 10amp before and 15amp that has been listed in this post. In the spring I'll pull the Furrion plug to see if there is an inline fuse installed. My Furrion suitcase panel is 10 amp and was designed to match what GDRV installed in the plug and circuit. No debate needed where currently I'm uncertain if the Furrion plug on my rig is really protected with a fuse.

Also I've modified my Furrion suitcase panel with a Victron MPPT controller to charge my Lithium battery, so on a perfect day it may put out slightly more than 10amp? If so I may need to confirm the wire size and fuse (if present) and may need to pull the wire and replace it with something more suitable. I believe you are correct that the Furrion plug should be protected to 10 amp.

Jim

Comment

Honestly. Since I'm planning on mounting my MPPT controller (which is 8" x 10", much too big to be mounted on the solar panel suitcase) inside my passthrough, I might pull the whole assembly, and replace the furrion with a waterproof trolling motor mount, or maybe some other kind of solar panel mount.
                Mike

Comment

Working...
                X