No announcement yet.

Crown 6V flooded CR-260 or 6V AGM CRV260 or DEKA 6V flooded CG45 or Trojan T145

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crown 6V flooded CR-260 or 6V AGM CRV260 or DEKA 6V flooded CG45 or Trojan T145

I hope this is the best place to put this. After getting the rest of my solar project parts ordered (sans inverter) I turned to my 4-6V battery bank purchaase. Please don't get into the lithium discussion as SWMBO will not let me go that big. I have been going through a lot of forums (solar/RV/ marine) and what folks are using. Some very interesting projects out there including a guy using the Tesla car battery set up from wrecked vehicles (seems dangerous to me) on his boat.

To make a long thread short I wanted to go AGM if I could find equivalence AH ratings and cycle life. There are tons of brands out there at god pricing until you come to shipping. Unfortunately here in Durango I am very limited on brand choices - especially 6V. I have the typical auto parts stores, Walmart, Interstate dealers by the dozen, and a DEKA (East Penn) dealer. I wanted something in the 250AH (20Hr) rating. This thinned the pack a lot as did ratings and cost.

On several of the forms the Crown brand popped up. US made in Ohio. Overall solid good ratings. However they dont have a dealer near me......BUT they will ship factory direct to me at a reasonable cost. Unfortunately other than reading I have no first hand knowledge.

So here are my choices

Flooded

DEKA GC45 255AH $209.95ea plus $27.50 core plus tax 7% give or take. Local dealer https://www.eastpennmanufacturing.co...Flyer-0250.pdf

Trojan T145 260AH $280.51ea plus $29 core + local NM tax Dealer 75 miles away http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/dat...ata_Sheets.pdf

Crown CR-260 260 AH $142.17ea plus $79 shipping (factory direct) CR-260 PowerSheet_D06260_0213-1.pdf

AGM

Crown 6CRV260 260AH $240.86 ea plus $79 shipping (factory direct CROWN1-PowerSheet-6CRV260-sec-1.pdf
    I could not find any other AGM's in the AH range.

All of the above are GC2H size, and I plan to use a vented quad battery box.

Thoughts on these or are there others?

In reviewing the Crown data sheets they appear to have good cycle life, but was surprised the flooded has longer life. (I wonder if I red the graphs correctly) The Trojan cycle life is about 1/2 of the Crown. I am also aware the AGM can withstand a deeper discharge (50% flooded, 80% agm).

I don't plan on being a heavy battery user so I am guessing I would typically be in the 20% cycle for state of charge for the 4 battery set up. We don't watch much TV and would be sparingly using the microwave, etc We do have 2-CPAPs nightly run off of 12V.

As I am not battery savvy and I am not the best at maintenance. Please give me your honest thoughts on my choices.

Thanks Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Keith

I have been "following" your project and although I am not battery savvy either , and certainly not "solar ready" yet I have an outsiders observation.

The Lion Safari UT 1300 battery has my attention as a future wet battery replacement. One of the main reasons is cost. At certain times of the year Costco has run a sale on these for I think 700$ each , this would equate to 2 for 1400$. I realize this does not give you the amp hours that you are looking for but I can not help but think that in the long run you may be better off. If the "off grid" camping is something you find yourself doing more you could always add a couple more in a year to help out , this would spread the cost out a little. Buying 4 of the 6 volt batteries that you have listed will almost be the same cost as one of the Lion ones. I know this is not the info you are looking for just wanted to add 2 cents worth.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I skipped AGM and went to the Lion Energy Lithiums so no help there, but I think Crown is known for forklift batteries which if so would have a lot of cycles and I would imagine would hold up pretty well. As a local source you might try a forklift dealer if there are any around. I got my flooded Golf Cart batteries from a golf cart dealer for less than anywhere else back in the day.

I realize you need to be able to survive the costs here and now, but if the Costco deal comes back, given the lifespan of lithium you might actually come out ahead if you calculate the cost over their life. I totally here you if SWMBO does not look at the long term math though. I got lucky there.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Country Campers ncitro

Brian and Neil
        Thanks for the input. Ultimately Lithium is in the playbook. Unfortunately I am in the middle of nowhere as far a Costco is concern. Nearest one is at least 3 hours away. Neil - I did not think to call the fork lift folks. Ill do that tomorrow - Thanks

Back to my corner to do a bit more reading and planning.

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
          Country Campers ncitro

Brian and Neil
          Thanks for the input. Ultimately Lithium is in the playbook. Unfortunately I am in the middle of nowhere as far a Costco is concern. Nearest one is at least 3 hours away. Neil - I did not think to call the fork lift folks. Ill do that tomorrow - Thanks

Back to my corner to do a bit more reading and planning.

Keith
          Where are you? I had it in my mind you were near me in southern Wisconsin for some reason.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Where are you? I had it in my mind you were near me in southern Wisconsin for some reason.
            LOL Its all in the Force -

I'm in Durango CO. SW Corner of the state in what called the 4-corners area.

Comment

LOL Its all in the Force -

I'm in Durango CO. SW Corner of the state in what called the 4-corners area.

Gotcha. Limited options for sure. Costco ships them when they have the sale, actually I think they have to be shipped, I do not think they are stocked in the store. I got mine originally from a group buy on another forum when they were just getting started for like $600 ea, but I had to buy four. The $1400 for two at Costco is the best price I have seen since.

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro
                This is Yoda in his natural element (aka "the corner")

Click image for larger version

Name:	yoda in a corner.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	43721
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Lol that's accurate

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    Close - I am better looking now.

That's one movie I have not seen yet. Not even sure the episode name.
                    Last edited by howson; 02-23-2021, 11:44 AM. Reason: trimmed quote

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Lion-Energy-1...s%2C195&sr=8-3
                      Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Here is the AIMS for another low cost option. I have been happy with its performance and its Free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Aims-Power-LF...s%2C210&sr=8-5

Jim

Comment

I did a lot more reading yesterday including life cycle costs. This included videos of Lithium compared to Flooded and AGM/Gel. What surprises me is a good flooded 6V out performs AGM if you look at total life costs. In fact the 6V flooded has a longer life cycle straight up compaired to the AGM. Of course the Lithium was the winner in every situation. However after looking at the life cycles on the Crown CR-260 compared to their AGM and the price difference, it appears the Flooded CR-260 is the way to go short term, until I can afford the Lithium.. I can easily do the venting needed.

I still have time to research this.
                        Thanks again

Comment

I did a lot more reading yesterday including life cycle costs. This included videos of Lithium compared to Flooded and AGM/Gel. What surprises me is a good flooded 6V out performs AGM if you look at total life costs. In fact the 6V flooded has a longer life cycle straight up compaired to the AGM. Of course the Lithium was the winner in every situation. However after looking at the life cycles on the Crown CR-260 compared to their AGM and the price difference, it appears the Flooded CR-260 is the way to go short term, until I can afford the Lithium.. I can easily do the venting needed.

I still have time to research this.
                          Thanks again
                          Keith,

I didn't look too deep but this site claims free delivery on the surface with a $100 hazmat free.

https://batteryguys.com/cart

Looks like the Crowns will give you a total of 260ah@50% SOC. Total weight will be 300lbs. If mass and storage is not an issue, this is a cost effective solution to get that much capacity.

Jim
                          Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2021, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Keith,

I didn't look too deep but this site claims free delivery on the surface with a $100 hazmat free.

https://batteryguys.com/cart

Looks like the Crowns will give you a total of 260ah@50% SOC. Total weight will be 300lbs. If mass and storage is not an issue, this is a cost effective solution to get that much capacity.

Jim
                            In a series /parallel set up I will have 520AH available if I have my math right. I do have room and can handle the weight. and use the stock venting port. Now that I think of it your math is correct too for 50% SOC.. The last time I did a 6v flooded battery bank it was still good at 12 years. Battery's were from Hastings (no longer in business)

Comment

Keith I'm certain nobody would complain with a 12 year service life.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X