"battery bay" on Imagine 31G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "battery bay" on Imagine 31G

I read in some of the manuals and also on here in the solar FAQ that; A unit built with solar comes with 2 battery bays from the factory to provide space for 12V group 27 batteries https://www.granddesignrv.com/solar-faqs

I'm new with this RV and just picked it up a month ago. But where on the vehicle is this "battery bay"? The only battery I have found is the one on the hitch which I understand the dealer installs. This also came with the Solar Package (300w panels on roof, 1000 watt inverter). I need to figure out how to work all that but to start with, are there separate batteries somewhere in this "battery bay" or only the battery on the hitch?

thanks in advance. I've already got more use out of this forum than from the dealer where we bought this.
    2121 Momentum 31G towed by 2017 Ford F-250 SuperDuty / Gale Banks

Originally posted by jlackman View Post
    I read in some of the manuals and also on here in the solar FAQ that; A unit built with solar comes with 2 battery bays from the factory to provide space for 12V group 27 batteries https://www.granddesignrv.com/solar-faqs

I'm new with this RV and just picked it up a month ago. But where on the vehicle is this "battery bay"? The only battery I have found is the one on the hitch which I understand the dealer installs. This also came with the Solar Package (300w panels on roof, 1000 watt inverter). I need to figure out how to work all that but to start with, are there separate batteries somewhere in this "battery bay" or only the battery on the hitch?

thanks in advance. I've already got more use out of this forum than from the dealer where we bought this.
    I just watched this from a GD owner about a 31G and I'm thinking there is no internal "battery box" and all I have to work with is the one on the tongue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8aCRb2PJOU

Comment

I have not heard of any other battery positions other than on the tongue of a TT or in the front storage of a fifth wheel. These are the manufactures points of battery installations , dealers always add the battery before the sale. Lots of folks who add lithium batteries try to put them inside the RV for safe keeping but tongue mount boxes have also been used.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

jlackman

With lead/acid batteries (standard "Group 27") normal charging creates hydrogen gas which is lighter than air and combustible, so this gas must be vented outside the RV. Thus, TT batteries are outside on the trailer tongue and 5th wheel batteries should be in vented boxed in one of the storage compartments (usually the front). These batteries must be stored upright and securely fastened because they are heavy.

With lithium batteries, most of the location and mounting restrictions of lead/acid batteries go away. They do not have to be vented, they do not have to be mounted upright and they are considerably lighter weight to deal with. There would be many options for safely locating these batteries within the RV. These are (of course) much more expensive .

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

@jlackman I think the reference to 2 battery bays means the physical space to add a second battery.

I think with those units that have the residential refrigerators and inverter the second battery is already installed.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            jlackman

With lead/acid batteries (standard "Group 27") normal charging creates hydrogen gas which is lighter than air and combustible, so this gas must be vented outside the RV. Thus, TT batteries are outside on the trailer tongue and 5th wheel batteries should be in vented boxed in one of the storage compartments (usually the front). These batteries must be stored upright and securely fastened because they are heavy.

With lithium batteries, most of the location and mounting restrictions of lead/acid batteries go away. They do not have to be vented, they do not have to be mounted upright and they are considerably lighter weight to deal with. There would be many options for safely locating these batteries within the RV. These are (of course) much more expensive .

Rob
            Rob, that's a great point, I hadn't though much about the venting. I'm getting up to speed though, with the help of this forum as my main source.

Jonathan

Comment

Working...
            X