New Battleborn 270ah batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Battleborn 270ah batteries

Have you guys seen the new 270ah batteries from Battleborn?

https://battlebornbatteries.com/prod...po4-batteries/

My Battleborn battery order hasn't shipped yet. I'm wondering if I should cancel that order and get two of these new ones. Hmmmm. Cost per ah is about the same as their 100ah batteries. Weight is roughly the same per ah as well. The footprint looks more interesting. Taller and shorter batteries would work better for my install.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

bertschb

Wow--that's my first impression. Check out the BMS specs--one battery could power a 12/3000 Multiplus! (300 amps from 12vDC ~= 30A of 120vAC. Since the Multiplus "only" sustains 25a of 120vAC this looks ideal for a new setup.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	300amps.JPG
Views:	1107
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	44617

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I think I'll call tomorrow and see if I can cancel my orders for 6 of the "old" batteries and get two of these new 270ah models. They will probably tell me my order shipped right before I called
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Those specifications are very impressive. I would have certainly gone with one of these instead of the footprint that my three 100aH batteries take up.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          Those specifications are very impressive. I would have certainly gone with one of these instead of the footprint that my three 100aH batteries take up.

Jim
          There is a really nice video on YouTube about these new batteries; search GameChanger 270ah Sara and Alex James 40 Hours of Freedom
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
          GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
          SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

OK, I switched my order this morning. Rather than six of the 100ah batteries, I'm getting two of the new 270ah "Gamechanger 3.0" batteries. Less total AH but a better form factor for my install and simpler wiring.
            Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
              OK, I switched my order this morning. Rather than six of the 100ah batteries, I'm getting two of the new 270ah "Gamechanger 3.0" batteries. Less total AH but a better form factor for my install and simpler wiring.
              Nice! Keep us updated, but I am sure it will be up to par knowing their reputation.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Have you guys seen the new 270ah batteries from Battleborn?

https://battlebornbatteries.com/prod...po4-batteries/

My Battleborn battery order hasn't shipped yet. I'm wondering if I should cancel that order and get two of these new ones. Hmmmm. Cost per ah is about the same as their 100ah batteries. Weight is roughly the same per ah as well. The footprint looks more interesting. Taller and shorter batteries would work better for my install.
                Dang it you guys there you go again on what to spend my money on - yep saw the new ones this morning. Brian (I am so jealous) bertschb did you happen to get a price break on the two? You got the GC3 units? Two take up roughly same foot print as 4-GC2.

So my 4 - 6V Crown CR-260 are costing right around $600 give or take (in series/parallel have 520 AH - 50% usable = 260AH) so one of there new BBGC3 units has 270AH usable in 1/2 the space. Also 4 crowns are 300 lbs and the BB is 80lbs.

But $2800 each OUCH I just don't think SWMBO would go for it. A double set up looks absolutely perfect for what I want to do.I do like how BB has the mounting base included - easy as pie to install to and the battery connection point being front, top and bottom with separate holes on the lugs for connecting- brilliant. Even with a 10 year life that $280 per year times 2 for the double set up where my 6V are about $60 for 4, for 10 years. I used 10 years as my last set lasted 12. I still have time to decide as for this summers camping with no inverter (next fall) I can still use my 2 -12v and see what happens price wise (black Friday sale???? And then look at inverter/charger units.

Me thinks I had better wander back to my corner and pout

Thanks
                Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                  bertschb did you happen to get a price break on the two? You got the GC3 units?
                  Hi Keith

I didn't get a price break and yes, I ordered the GC3 models. In looking at them, it appears you can stack them. Not sure about that but that would be nice!
                  Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Hi Keith

I didn't get a price break and yes, I ordered the GC3 models. In looking at them, it appears you can stack them. Not sure about that but that would be nice!
                    Love to see pictures when your done. I did notice you could stack them too.

Enjoy
                    Keith
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Here they are - and they are heavy.

Name:	BB batteries.jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	45748
                      Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Anyone ever look batteries from these people: https://www.signaturesolar.us/catego...89000000543047

There 12v 400 Ah setup is rated at 125A continuous discharge. https://www.signaturesolar.us/produc...89000007141580 and relatively cheap at $1,500 vs the cost of one GC3. And only 20 lb heavier for 30% more capacity.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I contacted Battleborn to ask for their recommendation for configuring the Victron BMV-712 for two of the new BBGC3 batteries. This was their reply. Note the batteries are 270ah but Batleborn recommended 600ah for battery capacity. I thought that was odd but they are the experts.

Here are the suggested settings for the BMV with 2 BBG3s

Battery Capacity: 600Ah
                          Charged voltage: 14.4v but note that this # should be about .1 or .2 volts back of what the charging voltage is set to in your charging device
                          Discharge Floor: 0%
                          Tail Current: 2-4% is good
                          Charged Detection Time: 3m
                          Peukert Exponent: 1.05
                          Charge Efficiency Factor: 99%
                          Current threshold: 0.10A
                          Time to go averaging period 3m
                          Battery Starts Synchronized: blue button should be to the right
                          State of Charge: leave alone
                          Synchronize SOC to 100%: Leave alone, this device will sync itself at the top of the charge
                          Zero Current Calibration: Leave alone

Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

One other thing - I asked Battleborn if it was OK to stack the batteries on top of each other and bolt them together. Their first response was they didn't recommend it because the positive and negative terminals would be right next to each other. I then asked if it would be OK if the upper battery was flipped upside down. They said that was OK. Here is an end shot of the batteries for reference:

Name:	Battery post.png
Views:	1010
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	46323

As it turns out, I abandoned my idea of putting the batteries in the passthrough stacked together and instead will be placing them side by side in the front compartment. I had a good spot picked out under the stairs in the pass through for stacking the batteries but it required more engineering and woodworking skills than I have. Plus the wiring would have been difficult in the tight confines of that location. The front compartment has plenty of room for the batteries and access to the wiring is simple.

The batteries come with both long and short screws for the posts. If you use the long screws, the terminal cover won't fit. IMO, both screws are too long. There are three attachment points on each post so there is no need to attach any more than one lug to each post attachment point. They should have just provided 1" screws instead of the 1.5" and 2".
                            Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

I contacted Battleborn to ask for their recommendation for configuring the Victron BMV-712 for two of the new BBGC3 batteries. This was their reply. Note the batteries are 270ah but Batleborn recommended 600ah for battery capacity. I thought that was odd but they are the experts.

Here are the suggested settings for the BMV with 2 BBG3s

Battery Capacity: 600Ah
                              Charged voltage: 14.4v but note that this # should be about .1 or .2 volts back of what the charging voltage is set to in your charging device
                              Discharge Floor: 0%
                              Tail Current: 2-4% is good
                              Charged Detection Time: 3m
                              Peukert Exponent: 1.05
                              Charge Efficiency Factor: 99%
                              Current threshold: 0.10A
                              Time to go averaging period 3m
                              Battery Starts Synchronized: blue button should be to the right
                              State of Charge: leave alone
                              Synchronize SOC to 100%: Leave alone, this device will sync itself at the top of the charge
                              Zero Current Calibration: Leave alone
                              That’s odd about the 600ah but they would know best. One thing you may discover is I found with solar I needed to increase my charge detection time. What would happen is early in the morning particularly if I was partly shaded I would get a small amount of current out of my panels. In three minutes of that small current the monitor would think the batteries were fully charged and reset. I increased the charge detection time and it’s been fine. I’d wait and see though, it could be unique to my setup.

Neil Citro
                              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                              X