New Battleborn 270ah batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
    I contacted Battleborn to ask for their recommendation for configuring the Victron BMV-712 for two of the new BBGC3 batteries. This was their reply. Note the batteries are 270ah but Batleborn recommended 600ah for battery capacity. I thought that was odd but they are the experts.

Here are the suggested settings for the BMV with 2 BBG3s

Battery Capacity: 600Ah
    Charged voltage: 14.4v but note that this # should be about .1 or .2 volts back of what the charging voltage is set to in your charging device
    Discharge Floor: 0%
    Tail Current: 2-4% is good
    Charged Detection Time: 3m
    Peukert Exponent: 1.05
    Charge Efficiency Factor: 99%
    Current threshold: 0.10A
    Time to go averaging period 3m
    Battery Starts Synchronized: blue button should be to the right
    State of Charge: leave alone
    Synchronize SOC to 100%: Leave alone, this device will sync itself at the top of the charge
    Zero Current Calibration: Leave alone
    I am assuming you would be in a parallel configuration on the batteries so your bank is at 540 AH based on battery rating. Seems they are saying there is a bit more there than advertised? Could the longer screws be for stacking the batteries? Looking forward to the final results.

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
      I am assuming you would be in a parallel configuration on the batteries so your bank is at 540 AH based on battery rating. Seems they are saying there is a bit more there than advertised?
      Hi Keith. Yes, I'm connecting them in parallel and I was thinking the same thing - Battleborn may be under rating these batteries. I hope Will Prowse does a tear down on them.
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

bertschb Why not just stack them and turn the upper battery 180° so the lugs are on the opposing end. PROBLEM SOLVED of the lugs being in close proximity to each other.

Can you lay the batteries down and fit them into the area you want? Make a box or drawer for them to be in that will let you remove them while connected then its just a matter of securing the box.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          bertschb Why not just stack them and turn the upper battery 180° so the lugs are on the opposing end. PROBLEM SOLVED of the lugs being in close proximity to each other.

Can you lay the batteries down and fit them into the area you want? Make a box or drawer for them to be in that will let you remove them while connected then its just a matter of securing the box.
          I asked Battleborn about just setting the upper battery the opposite direction and he actually said he'd recommend flipping the top battery upside down before swapping ends. I thought that was odd but again, they are the experts. What I was really wanting to know is if the cases can handle the 80lb batteries being stacked.

Just like all LiFePO4 batteries, you can install them in whatever orientation you like.The space I had available under the steps would have juuuust fit two batteries stacked. The problem is it would have been behind the wall where all the other equipment would have been mounted. To get to the batteries I'd have to disconnect battery wires and remove the wall. The front compartment is just much easier. I spent a few hours modifying the space under the steps before I really started looking at the battery posts and what would be involved to wire them together and to the inverter. Got that one backwards.
          Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

bertschb did you or anyone ever check out signature solar? Their price per Ah is pretty cheap.
            Joseph
            Tow
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
              bertschb did you or anyone ever check out signature solar? Their price per Ah is pretty cheap.
              No, I didn't. Price was last on my list of criteria for choosing a battery this time around.
              Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Is this Battle Born 270Ah BBgc3 battery BAD?

Comment

Originally posted by riff trucheli View Post
                  Is this Battle Born 270Ah BBgc3 battery BAD?
                  When you're doing this test does the camper lose all 12v power (turn on an overhead light if unsure and do the test again). If it does lose all 12v power, how do you get it restored?

If all 12v is lost, then it does appear the battery is shutting down. If the overhead light stays on, the battery is still "on" and the issue is likely a configuration issue with the Multiplus. I noted everything shut off when the battery voltage reached 12v. Is that consistent? If it is you might want to check the configuration using VEConfig and the settings under the Inverter tab. (Mine is shown below.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	VEConfigure.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	76078

How long has this system been up-and-running?

There also may be a temperature issue--how cold is it in the camper? Battery performance is affected by temperature. Perhaps trying to run full-tilt with cold batteries is causing the BMS to shut down, too.

Lots of info on the topic at this website, https://www.mortonsonthemove.com/lit...-cold-weather/, where Tom (from Mortons on the Move) documents a test done in cold conditions. The bottom line is a Battle Born in cold temperature produced 80% of its capacity. If your battery is cold driving it to 300A may be putting it in "surge" mode where it will shut down automatically after 30 seconds of operation.

Finally, what size wire is used between the battery and the Multiplus?

Please report back what you find.

Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

riff trucheli -- forgot to welcome you to the forum! Please check out the Welcome Letter when you get a chance...https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Thanks Howard for your reply,

This battery is a new installation. BBgc3 is only running the 3000w Victron inverter at 12 volts, the Victron Cerbo with touch screen and the Victron shunt, nothing else. The battery was fully charged, the cable is 2/0 and is less than 2 feet long, temperature in Florida was in the 80's when the test was last done. I know I can adjust the low shut down voltage to a lower number but I didn't want to go lower than 12.9v. 20% capacity. To do the test, I had it at 11.5 volts (less than 9% capacity) but I think the internal BMS shut it off before my inverter settings in my opinion. So if this battery is 270Ah, theoretically I can draw 270 amp for an hour, in this case 290 amp draw doesn't last 3 minutes. The battery is advertised to hold 300 amps continuously. So why would the voltage drop so fast? Could this mean that this battery has a problem?
                      Last edited by riff trucheli; 02-06-2022, 12:24 PM.

Comment

riff trucheli How many times have the batteries been cycled, and how many times at high amperage? From my RC stuff, it takes a few cycles for the batteries to stabilize the reaction process and develop the high amp draws.

Watching the video, I did not see a voltage after it shutdown and came back up. You might try running the batteries hard for 15 seconds monitoring the voltage, then cycle back to a no or low draw and watch the voltage again seeing where it maxes back out. This is referred to as voltage sag. Check with Battleborn after that to see what the allowable sag should be.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

How many times have the batteries been cycled, and how many times at high amperage?
                          the battery is been cycled 3 times at high amperage
                          will do another test and check voltage sag. and do few cycles for the batteries to stabilize the reaction process and develop the high amp draws.

thank you Joseph

Comment

riff trucheli During your cycling of the batteries monitor the voltage sag to see if it's getting better. The less the sag, the better they are doing at the chemical reaction that's generating the amps. At some point they will reach optimum and the start going the other way.

I have a 1.8AH 4s (14.8Vdc) battery for my RC stuff that put out over 75 amps (short draw) but the voltage sag was close to 3 Vdc. Not ideal, but upon dropping the amp draw the voltage would come back up 2Vdc (depending on charge left). Needless to say voltage sag at lower charge state increased dramatically resulting in need to stop. One would not think that one of those little FPV Racing drones would draw 100+ amps, but I have seen it and I was not pushing hard.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by riff trucheli View Post
                              Thanks Howard for your reply,

This battery is a new installation. BBgc3 is only running the 3000w Victron inverter at 12 volts, the Victron Cerbo with touch screen and the Victron shunt, nothing else. The battery was fully charged, the cable is 2/0 and is less than 2 feet long, temperature in Florida was in the 80's when the test was last done. I know I can adjust the low shut down voltage to a lower number but I didn't want to go lower than 12.9v. 20% capacity. To do the test, I had it at 11.5 volts (less than 9% capacity) but I think the internal BMS shut it off before my inverter settings in my opinion. So if this battery is 270Ah, theoretically I can draw 270 amp for an hour, in this case 290 amp draw doesn't last 3 minutes. The battery is advertised to hold 300 amps continuously. So why would the voltage drop so fast? Could this mean that this battery has a problem?
                              To isolate the issue to the battery or the Multiplus I need to know if the lights in the camper shut off, too.

Don't confuse a SOC voltage (a static measurement with the battery not under load) with a battery voltage seen under load. Your battery did not have 9% capacity left when it shut off at 12v (which is what the SOC chart shows for a BB battery).

There's a number of settings in the shunt or Multiplus that could be wrong--can you post them so they can be reviewed? (Lots of experienced users here who will spot something if it's wrong.)

Comment

riff trucheli

My four Battle Born 100ah batteries, supplying ~300amps to the Multiplus, showed 12.3 volts after a very short run (I turned on both air conditioners). If I'd kept running the conditioners the voltage would continue to drop--I've done it before. There's nothing wrong with my batteries or the configuration. This is normal.

Could the BB battery be bad? Maybe. Unlikely IMO given the battery is being taxed to it's maximum. (If you're going to run that much current on a regular basis, consider upgrading the wiring to 4/0 and possibly even adding a second battery.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	after a few minutes.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	76113
                                Yoda went through a similar problem. See his thread here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/6...n-93-soc-12-1v

scdock also went through the same problem: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...battery-charge

If you're still not convinced it's not the battery, your only option is to call Battle Born. But don't be surprised when they want to get into the Multiplus' settings...

Howard

Comment

Working...
                                X