Xantrex brand inverters and inverter charger with comparison to others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xantrex brand inverters and inverter charger with comparison to others

OK folks I cam out of my corner to get myself in trouble.
    Background - I have been researching inverter choices in the 3000W range. The unit I am comparing other too is the Go Power ISW3000-12 https://gpelectric.com/products/3000...wave-inverter/ One concern on the Go Power is the loud fan noise that has been reported under load. However the Go power does not require some of the circuit breakers the Xantrex does as they are built in form what I can tell. GP cam also run the AC unit in a pinch based on their literature.

I recently ran across the Xantrex brand and I think some here are running them.

I first looked at their true sign wave stand alone inverter.
    Freedom X 3000 https://www.xantrex.com/power-produc...freedom-x.aspx Appear to be close. BUT they want a GFIC breaker on the output and a separate breaker on the input. Now GD has both GFIC circuits and non GFIC circuits and if I remember correctly from my limited electrical experience you cant have two GFI circuits on the same line am I correct on this? Price is about the same as the Go Power.It has a 110V pass through feature and can automatically pick up a load, but I cant use that and be able to run my transfer switch to take the Converter off line ( it might become a wiring nightmare., I don't need the automation either. I would just wire it for AC out. It requires an 8awg ground wire to the case too - something different. No mention of being able to run an AC unit.

Operator/install manual can be found here https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/w...m_X_Manual.pdf

Now for their inverter/charger.
    Freedom XC PRO 3000 https://www.xantrex.com/power-produc...dom-xcpro.aspx. It has the same GFIC requirement. Plus side the charging profile is complete customizable. My proposed Crown CR-160 6V batteries have a max charging amp limit of 60 amps and the charged can put out 150, but is programmable . It also has a fully custom profile and can handle lithium
    Cost wise is it the same range as the Multiplus. so if I am going to go with a inverter/charger I might as well go Victron Multiplus 3000 and find a way to sell SWMBO on it.

Operator install manual can be found here https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/w...%27s_Guide.pdf

Speaking of Victrom they do have a stand alone inverter in the 3000W range its the Phoenix Inverter https://www.victronenergy.com/invert...48v-800va-3kva Victron also has the Phoenix Inverter Smart but it looks like it is only available in 230V Prices are about the same as the Multiplus again. Anyone with experience on these specific units?

The only other choice is Magnum, but they only make inverter charger and are more expensive than the Victron.

I took AIMS off my list due to warranty and customer service issues - a lot of negative reviews on this issue.

If the GFIC issue is not a problem I may consider the Xantrex Freedom X 3000 if folks think it is a good comparison to the Go Power ISW 3000-12

Thoughts? Ideas? Go back to my corner?

Thanks
    Keith

I think I just thought of a way to make my transfer switch work to kill the converter with the pass through 110 on the Freedom X 3000. I would need a junction box to feed it and the Inverter on the incoming shore power. Inverter power would go through just like their wiring diagram shows. Ill haft to draw it up and double check..
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda

First, you could make a significant contribution to the Reference Material section if you'd create a table listing all of the inverter options with cross-references to their strengths, weaknesses and cost. You're already doing all the work--just put it together in an easy-to-read format.

For your GFCI question, google the issue and you'll find a lot of threads on various forums where individuals with GFCI-protected inverters have issues with the GFCI circuit in their RV. From what I understand, it's not that you can't (by code) put more than on GFCI device in a circuit, it's just that it is asking for problems.

Sample from a quick search I just did...

Click image for larger version

Name:	short string.JPG
Views:	1234
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	44986
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I pull a 2670MK with my ford F150 ecoboost. I have had several inverters and inverter/chargers through the years. I wanted to get a 2000 watt inverter/charger several years ago and called around to find out what brand some RV service departments are suggesting. Generally speaking, The first thing I learned, was if they are going to install the product they want an inverter/ charger that meets safety standards. I had them install a Magnum MS series in the 30 amp trailer I previously owned. The inverter has a pure sine wave that works very well with lap tops and such. Did a lot of boondocking with solar panels and two 6 volt 220 amp/hr batteries. I just put another magnum MS series inverter/charger in my new 50 amp trailer. It was expensive! I also installed the remote monitor. I asked to get all plugs in trailer hooked up to inverter. IT charges all my electronics, my satellite tv and receiver and of course my ninja, so I can make blended margaritas.
      So, with the sum of my experiences, I would suggest to you first : that you check and see if you have the necessary battery bank for 3000 watts. You might need 400amp/hour battery bank. Second: I would suggest you have it installed with all appropriate hardware, so you don't have issues down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougstar View Post
        I pull a 2670MK with my ford F150 ecoboost. I have had several inverters and inverter/chargers through the years. I wanted to get a 2000 watt inverter/charger several years ago and called around to find out what brand some RV service departments are suggesting. Generally speaking, The first thing I learned, was if they are going to install the product they want an inverter/ charger that meets safety standards. I had them install a Magnum MS series in the 30 amp trailer I previously owned. The inverter has a pure sine wave that works very well with lap tops and such. Did a lot of boondocking with solar panels and two 6 volt 220 amp/hr batteries. I just put another magnum MS series inverter/charger in my new 50 amp trailer. It was expensive! I also installed the remote monitor. I asked to get all plugs in trailer hooked up to inverter. IT charges all my electronics, my satellite tv and receiver and of course my ninja, so I can make blended margaritas.
        So, with the sum of my experiences, I would suggest to you first : that you check and see if you have the necessary battery bank for 3000 watts. You might need 400amp/hour battery bank. Second: I would suggest you have it installed with all appropriate hardware, so you don't have issues down the road.
        Appreciate your thoughts. The Xantrex and Go Power are both UL approved and more. My planed battery bank is 4 - 6V Crown CR-260 deep cycle batteries in series parallel so I will have 520 AH available up to 50% SOC Future is BB Lithium in the same AH range. I also will have 540 watts of solar.

Thanks Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
        X