No announcement yet.

Does anyone keep spare batterys handy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone keep spare batterys handy?

Yep I am out of my corner. I am getting ready to order my Crown CR-260 6V deep cycle batteries later this month. These compare direct;y to the Trojan T145 at 260AH each. My price is below $150 each where as the Trojan are closer to $260. My local Deka GC45's are $230. This is a Crown factory direct price to me as a small business as I don't have a Crown dealer near me. Reviews of the Crown are good and I do hear complaints on the current Trojan (usually the T105)

I was going to order just 4, but they can ship 6. Should I go ahead and get the two extra? I think the shipping cost is the same for 4 or 6. I can keep them charged on the shelf as spares or possibly add them to my bank depending on support and room. For my Alaska trip I could put them in the truck bed for emergency use.

Am I nuts, overdoing it, or otherwise?

Thanks for your thoughts?

Keith now back to my corner
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda you are not really that nuts. A bit gun shy possibly.

In my experiences, any multi battery system should keep, maintain, and use batteries in the group equally. Battle born recommends not adding one of their batteries to a bank if the age difference is more than 2 years. In acid or agm world, I like to keep my batteries withing 60 days (bet i can get by MFG sticker) of each other. If one fails, replace both. You may find another local camper and sell the 2 - 6V batteries, or if they are interested order 8 vs 6.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

I would NOT purchase two spares. You want a matched set if at all possible. Over time, the two spares will have different characteristics when compared to the four in use.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

If you have the room to have 6 in your battery bank, get them and use them but if you don't intend on using them now, I wouldn't recommend getting them.
        Jeff and Debbie
        2021 Imagine 2250RK
        2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
        USMC Veteran

Comment

Thanks folks
          I think I will stew on this awhile. I have the quad battery box coming and will place it and see what room is left and what I have for support stricture. I already beefed it up with screws along the front lip and an L chanel under, but I need to see what my current battery's have done. They initially bowed the bottom. Bottom line the quad box will take up a lot of room and I need to get everything else on the wall and still have room up front for some critical stuff I cant fit in the pass through. I found so pictures over at IRV2 where they were able to fit some stuff on the side wall (by propane enclosure) tucked in behind the front jack assemblies, but until I get my box I wont know.

Thanks for the help
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I kept the original 12v battery as a backup. If my main bank doesn't work for any reason, I can switch to the original.
            Dave
            2016 Reflection 27RL
            2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
            B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Im planning on keeping my 2 120ah AGM batteries but adding 280ah Lifepo4 battery. They wont both be connected at the same time. The AGMs will be charged when connected to pole. The Lifepo4 by solar. The Lifepo4 will be connected to the inverter, but I can disconnect by switch and open switch to the AGMs. Some extra weight but dont want to throw away 1 year old AGMs and cant afford more Lifepo4s yet.

Comment

Working...
              X