Setting up for off grid camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up for off grid camping

Hello fellow GD owners. I'm new to the forum, but would like to learn how to set our coach up for "Off The Grid" camping. I'm looking for advice in almost every area on this topic. I have purchased (2) 206Ah lithium batteries, (1) EPEVER 50A MPPT Solar Charge Controller and - will - be purchasing (3) 210W solar panels. Now here's where I get lost in the weeds chasing a rabbit down a hole. It feels appropriate to buy a 3000W inverter, but do I need a Transfer SWT? The charger/converter that came with the coach, made by Mattel, doesn't have an extra fuse bank to split the AC/DC when plugging into Shore. Will I need a new Charger/Converter? Will an Inverter auto sense when I plug into AC Shore? Does anyone know an experienced Installer in Santa Barbara, CA.? Bus bars and shunts keep me up at night...Augh!

Originally posted by m93117@hotmail.com View Post
    Hello fellow GD owners. I'm new to the forum, but would like to learn how to set our coach up for "Off The Grid" camping. I'm looking for advice in almost every area on this topic. I have purchased (2) 206Ah lithium batteries, (1) EPEVER 50A MPPT Solar Charge Controller and - will - be purchasing (3) 210W solar panels. Now here's where I get lost in the weeds chasing a rabbit down a hole. It feels appropriate to buy a 3000W inverter, but do I need a Transfer SWT? The charger/converter that came with the coach, made by Mattel, doesn't have an extra fuse bank to split the AC/DC when plugging into Shore. Will I need a new Charger/Converter? Will an Inverter auto sense when I plug into AC Shore? Does anyone know an experienced Installer in Santa Barbara, CA.? Bus bars and shunts keep me up at night...Augh!
    It will depend on what inverter you buy. I’d recommend doing some searching here, there have been a few that have gone through this process recently, Yoda comes immediately to mind.

As far as a quick answer, you can get an inverter that has a built in transfer switch and charger that simplifies the wiring significantly. Several of us have purchased the Victron Multiplus or Magnum inverter/chargers and they will automatically switch from shore to inverter, and are phenomenal lithium chargers, granted they get a pretty penny to put all that in one box.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I have moved your post to its own thread as it will get better results and keep your discussion to your specific set up.

Brian
      Last edited by howson; 03-17-2021, 07:04 PM. Reason: Removed n/a content...(username was changed).
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Very interested in this topic as well. So plus one on the question and looking forward to learning with you as folks chime in on the best way to go...

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
          Very interested in this topic as well. So plus one on the question and looking forward to learning with you as folks chime in on the best way to go...
          The topic is too broad for that open of a question, Marco. Can you define your expectations? DIY or will you have it professionally installed? Budget constraints? There's a lot of inter-connecting pieces to the puzzle.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I did a bunch of these upgrades last year - a few are still in progress (solar / easystart for Air conditioner).

I need to update the post - but maybe my post and journey last year will help you. It can be found here:
            https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-and-questions

Here is a post containing all of our upgrades/modifications:
            https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...h-all-upgrades

I recommend a combined inverter/charger as well. Your factory charger is not designed for lithium batteries. It may work...but it's not ideal.

I have been slammed at work - so a little delinquent this winter in getting some updates to the forum and my various projects. But, I think the first thread may help you a good bit?

Safe travels.
            2020 Imagine 2400BH
            2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Working...
            X