G21 solar inverter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G21 solar inverter

Hi all. I'm a bit frustrated that there were no instructions or manuals provided in regards to the solar, MPPT, and inverter when I purchased my new 2020 Momentum G21.
    Anyone have any idea what the inverter powers up inside my TT?? I've checked most outlets and none have power with inverter on.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!!

I assume you are stating that you have a Momentum G Class Travel Trailer model 21G. Do you have a residential fridge by chance? Your best bet to is to contact GDS customer service with you VIN number and they should be able to inform you.
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
    USMC Veteran

Comment

The factory solar system in my Solitude 310GK-R came with an electrical sub panel that powered my residential fridge, most of the outlets, the vacuum and a few other things. I'm not familiar with the factory solar system in your unit but if you have the battery switch "On" (can't remove the shutoff key) and the inverter turned on, you should have power to several outlets. My inverter has a remote switch to turn it on. Are you sure your inverter is switched on?
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by 49scott View Post
        Hi all. I'm a bit frustrated that there were no instructions or manuals provided in regards to the solar, MPPT, and inverter when I purchased my new 2020 Momentum G21.
        Anyone have any idea what the inverter powers up inside my TT?? I've checked most outlets and none have power with inverter on.

My inverter in my 310GK (I've got solar and no residential fridge) is mounted to the ceiling of the forward storage bay and also mounted on the ceiling in there is a 12V disconnect with one of those red keys. That has to be turned on for the inverter to work. Additionally, their is a green button on the end of the inverter and THAT needs to be pushed to turn it on. Additionally, my inverter has a GFCI outlet on it and occasionally I have to push the reset button on it because it has popped.
        Pat and Karen
        2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

Unfortunately the diagrams I can access do not provide any clue to the location of an inverter or MPPT. (I think the solar panel's location is obvious!)

What refrigerator do you have? If it's a 12v model, what leads you to believe there's an inverter in your 21G? (There may be one--I don't know for sure--just trying to establish a baseline.)

Your MPPT--is it a Jaboni or Furrion?

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Howard.
            The MPPT is a Jaboni. Didn't work the day I drove off the RV lot so I had a warranty claim and replaced it myself as it was going to be months before any RV shop would help me. It was pretty easy. The 1000W inverter and MPPT are behind the wall in my only outdoor closet area. Very frustrating there to as I have to remove all items just to get to the inverter & MPPT. Very piss poor location.
            I turn on the inverter and hear a beep. All lights are on, battery is fully charged, battery disconnect is switched to "on" position. All the DC lights, fans, etc work but cannot find any AC outlets working through inverter. The fridge is AC/propane combo. Fridge doesn't work when inverter is on either.
            Thoughts??

Comment

Hi Howard.
              The MPPT is a Jaboni. Didn't work the day I drove off the RV lot so I had a warranty claim and replaced it myself as it was going to be months before any RV shop would help me. It was pretty easy. The 1000W inverter and MPPT are behind the wall in my only outdoor closet area. Very frustrating there to as I have to remove all items just to get to the inverter & MPPT. Very piss poor location.
              I turn on the inverter and hear a beep. All lights are on, battery is fully charged, battery disconnect is switched to "on" position. All the DC lights, fans, etc work but cannot find any AC outlets working through inverter. The fridge is AC/propane combo. Fridge doesn't work when inverter is on either.
              Thoughts??
              What make and model is the inverter? GD's parts website does not have a picture nor any description that can be used to identify the model.

Is anything plugged in to the output of the inverter?

***Please*** take (and post) pics of the inverter and how it's wired. I have nothing on this trailer that shows an inverter or what it is supposed to power.

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Hi Howard.
                Thoughts??
                that sounds like the same setup in our Momentum 31G. It sounds like something is wrong. When we do the same thing you describe, we have quite a few hot outlets; televisions, outlets, tested a crock pot on counter, etc. A photo of the outside closet on our 31G is below; the only non-factory item is the Levelmate Pro. We haven't actually taken it on a trip camping yet, but we're 4 days from maiden voyage.

IF you have the same MPPT as the 31g, then I think this is the manual for it. It matches the physical paper manual we got in our goodie bag from our dealer. Your dealer should have given you a nice bag with the manual and all of the component manuals. Jaboni MPPT manual.

Click image for larger version  Name:	31gOutsideCloset.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.3 KB ID:	48716
                Last edited by jlackman; 04-01-2021, 07:43 PM. Reason: added link to .PDF manual
                2121 Momentum 31G towed by 2017 Ford F-250 SuperDuty / Gale Banks

Comment

Originally posted by jlackman View Post
                  When we do the same thing you describe, we have quite a few hot outlets; televisions, outlets, tested a crock pot on counter, etc.
                  If it's not too much trouble, can you map out the outlets in your 31G showing which ones are "hot" when on the inverter? Below is an example of how I mapped my outlets when on shore power. Yours doesn't have to be the same--whatever works for you--but it sure would be informative and helpful for future reference!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outlets.JPG
Views:	829
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	48742

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

If it's not too much trouble, can you map out the outlets in your 31G showing which ones are "hot" when on the inverter? Below is an example of how I mapped my outlets when on shore power. Yours doesn't have to be the same--whatever works for you--but it sure would be informative and helpful for future reference!

Name:	Outlets.JPG
Views:	829
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	48742
                    howson we will be heading to the hills next Tuesday, and I'll try to do some mapping then. During the week the RV is over in storage. I know I'll have downtime when we're in the mountains, and I have a couple of projects lined up to complete while we are off grid at 8.800 feet. Like my other project is to install a winch on a new ATV. I'll put this on the list and follow up probably in a week or two. But it would be good to know for me, too.

JL
                    2121 Momentum 31G towed by 2017 Ford F-250 SuperDuty / Gale Banks

Comment

49scott have you reached out to Grand Design Customer Service? Your profile doesn't have the VIN listed, so I'm not able to pull up any unit history. Do you mind sending me your VIN and contact information? Please send to smservice@granddesignrv.com attn: Megan. Thanks!

Comment

I have an early 2021 Momentum 21G. The setup is as jlackman is showing. THe inverter on the floor behind the tall exterior storage (under the master closet). There should be an "access" panel that is accessible through the tall outside storage. There are 4 screws to remove the panel. Behind that panel is the inverter, MPPT and transfer switch.

We have a total of 3 outlets powered by the inverter: Master bedroom (only the one closest to slide out), behind the TV and the one near the kitchen sink. Thinking about it, the bathroom outlet may be powered by the inverter as well....I'll have to look. (see below - I also posted this on another thread started by howson). It seems to me they have one breaker for all inverter powered outlets in the main breaker box in the master bedroom (also below).

Once you have the main battery cutoff switch ON and the inverter cutoff switch ON, you should be able to turn the inverter on. Just as you described you will hear a beep and the green light will turn on. Once the green light is on, the few outlets should provide AC power.

Name:	Breaker Panel.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	50516

THe inverter doesn't run any of the lights as they are all DC anyway. It sounds like Click image for larger version

Name:	21G.jpg
Views:	938
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	50515
                        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
                        X