Announcement

Collapse

Need help?

Please include the year, make and model of your GDRV ("2019 Reflection 315RLTS") along with the make and model of the component with the issue ("Dometic RM1350 refrigerator", "Furrion FMCM15-BL microwave", etc) in your question.
See more
See less

Disconnect switch between solar panels and solar charge controller

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Brian.

    Disconnect the wires from the array. Put your meter in resistance mode (ohms). Measure across the terminals with the breaker open, and then again with it closed. It should be infinite ohms with it open, and 0-1 Ohms when closed. If not, the breaker is malfunctioning.

    Jim
    The moderators for this site are not GDRV employees, but we do own GDRV products.

    Jim and Ginnie
    2017 Reflection 297RSTS

    Comment


    • #47
      On my previous solar builds, I used these for my solar panel disconnect/breakers. I have never had one fail and it does exactly what I need it to do.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	Xnip2021-04-07_16-09-10.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	49520
      Jeff and Debbie
      2021 Imagine 2250RK
      2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
      USMC Veteran

      Comment


      • #48
        Hi Jim

        Bear with me here as I barely know how to use a multimeter. First, I touched both test leads together in resistance mode and the MM read 000.0 which is what I expected.

        I pulled the circuit breaker out of my system and got these measurements:

        Breaker ON
        Measured across negative input and output - 0.L <---- I have no idea what this means
        Measured across positive input and output - 000.0 ohms

        Breaker OFF
        Measured across negative input and output - 0.L
        Measured across positive input and output - 0.L

        Maybe this is easier to understand:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuit breaker.png
Views:	65
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	49524
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS w/ disc brakes, 1,460w solar
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

        Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

        Comment


        • #49
          Brian. It looks like the negative side of the switch has failed. O.L means open circuit or no connection. BTW, here's a great video on DC switches used on solar charging systems.

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmi-vrGOFyk

          Jim
          The moderators for this site are not GDRV employees, but we do own GDRV products.

          Jim and Ginnie
          2017 Reflection 297RSTS

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            Brian. It looks like the negative side of the switch has failed.
            Thanks for confirming that Jim. I've ordered a replacement breaker but it looks like I'll have to wait another couple weeks for it to arrive. This build is taking forever just waiting for parts.
            Brian & Kellie
            2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS w/ disc brakes, 1,460w solar
            2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

            Previous setups:
            2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
            2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by bertschb View Post

              Thanks for confirming that Jim. I've ordered a replacement breaker but it looks like I'll have to wait another couple weeks for it to arrive. This build is taking forever just waiting for parts.
              Brian
              I am not sure where your at, but have you check your electrical supply houses? Some carry these breakers.
              Anyway good luck. I am waiting on my correct breakers from China too. I don't know how they do it for the price with shipping by air to the US and then shipping cost here? Makes me wonder. It used to be Radio Shack would have everything you could ever need in electronics and USA made. Now - who knows what your getting. Sorry you got a bad one. It would be interesting to tear it apart and see what went wrong.

              Hang in there
              Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel. Reese R20 Titan hitch, Steadyfast system, 2004 F350 King Ranch dually

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by bertschb View Post

                Thanks for confirming that Jim. I've ordered a replacement breaker but it looks like I'll have to wait another couple weeks for it to arrive. This build is taking forever just waiting for parts.
                Brian - not certain of your urgency to get the breaker but possibly if you check with your neighbors in your RV resort or go to a local dealer, you will be GTG quickly. Or maybe calling GDRV Customer Service and they will ship one or more to you ASAP.

                Dan
                Dan & Carol
                2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                  I am not sure where your at, but have you check your electrical supply houses? Some carry these breakers.
                  Hi Keith

                  We're in Palm Springs. I ended up ordering two breakers just in case the one I want arrives after we leave here. One is the replacement 63amp version that should arrive in a couple weeks. The other is a 32amp version that is supposed to be here tomorrow. According to my calculations, my panels are putting 19.7amps max into the charge controller so I should be OK with the 32amp breaker. I'll test each of them prior to wiring them into my system to make sure they work.

                  -Brian
                  Brian & Kellie
                  2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS w/ disc brakes, 1,460w solar
                  2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

                  Previous setups:
                  2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                  2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                    Brian - not certain of your urgency to get the breaker but possibly if you check with your neighbors in your RV resort or go to a local dealer, you will be GTG quickly. Or maybe calling GDRV Customer Service and they will ship one or more to you ASAP.
                    Hi Dan

                    The DC DIN rail mini breaker I'm using as a disconnect is for the solar system I'm building. It's not an OEM part so Grand Design wouldn't stock it. Thanks for the feedback though!

                    -Brian
                    Brian & Kellie
                    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS w/ disc brakes, 1,460w solar
                    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

                    Previous setups:
                    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by bertschb View Post

                      Hi Dan

                      The DC DIN rail mini breaker I'm using as a disconnect is for the solar system I'm building. It's not an OEM part so Grand Design wouldn't stock it. Thanks for the feedback though!

                      -Brian
                      My bad, Brian ! I missed that and should have known as I have been following your and all the other solar threads. Brain gas !

                      Dan
                      Dan & Carol
                      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Got my (temporary 32a) replacement circuit breaker today and it actually works! I still can't believe the original was defective.
                        Brian & Kellie
                        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS w/ disc brakes, 1,460w solar
                        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

                        Previous setups:
                        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by bertschb View Post
                          Got my (temporary 32a) replacement circuit breaker today and it actually works! I still can't believe the original was defective.
                          Brian - I'm curious why you went with a 63 amp breaker in the first place. A rule of thumb is to size a fuse or breaker at 125% of the load or maximum wire ampacity. So lets say your circuit is drawing 19 amps, and your wiring is rated for 25 amps. 25 amps x 125% = 31.25 amps. So a 32 amp breaker would be appropriate for this application.

                          Jim
                          The moderators for this site are not GDRV employees, but we do own GDRV products.

                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2017 Reflection 297RSTS

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

                            Brian - I'm curious why you went with a 63 amp breaker in the first place. A rule of thumb is to size a fuse or breaker at 125% of the load or maximum wire ampacity. So lets say your circuit is drawing 19 amps, and your wiring is rated for 25 amps. 25 amps x 125% = 31.25 amps. So a 32 amp breaker would be appropriate for this application.

                            Jim
                            Hi Jim

                            I went with the 63amp breaker because that's what the guy who's blog I'm following used. It's just a disconnect and I think he chose the 63 amp breaker just in case somebody had an array with higher amperage. I may just keep the 32amp breaker in my system and use the 63amp breaker as a backup since I no longer trust them. My array puts out 19.7 amps max so the 32amp breaker should work fine.

                            -Brian
                            Brian & Kellie
                            2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS w/ disc brakes, 1,460w solar
                            2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

                            Previous setups:
                            2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                            2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by bertschb View Post

                              Hi Jim

                              I went with the 63amp breaker because that's what the guy who's blog I'm following used. It's just a disconnect and I think he chose the 63 amp breaker just in case somebody had an array with higher amperage. I may just keep the 32amp breaker in my system and use the 63amp breaker as a backup since I no longer trust them. My array puts out 19.7 amps max so the 32amp breaker should work fine.

                              -Brian
                              I think you'll be fine. But you want the breaker (or fuse) to fail first. That is, before any wires or devices lose their smoke.

                              Jim
                              The moderators for this site are not GDRV employees, but we do own GDRV products.

                              Jim and Ginnie
                              2017 Reflection 297RSTS

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                OK, so I am entirely new to RVing and solar. I have a 2021 Transcend with the 165W panel and Furrion MPPT. GD did NOT wire a switch into this system, is this something I should look into doing? When should the system be switched off, beyond servicing of course?
                                Jonathon, Sarah, Things 1, 2, & 3 Higham
                                2020 Silverado 1500
                                2021 Transcend Xplor 297QB

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X