Disconnect switch between solar panels and solar charge controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brian.

Disconnect the wires from the array. Put your meter in resistance mode (ohms). Measure across the terminals with the breaker open, and then again with it closed. It should be infinite ohms with it open, and 0-1 Ohms when closed. If not, the breaker is malfunctioning.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

On my previous solar builds, I used these for my solar panel disconnect/breakers. I have never had one fail and it does exactly what I need it to do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xnip2021-04-07_16-09-10.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	49520
      Jeff and Debbie
      2021 Imagine 2250RK
      2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
      USMC Veteran

Comment

Hi Jim

Bear with me here as I barely know how to use a multimeter. First, I touched both test leads together in resistance mode and the MM read 000.0 which is what I expected.

I pulled the circuit breaker out of my system and got these measurements:

Breaker ON
        Measured across negative input and output - 0.L <---- I have no idea what this means
        Measured across positive input and output - 000.0 ohms

Breaker OFF
        Measured across negative input and output - 0.L
        Measured across positive input and output - 0.L

Maybe this is easier to understand:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuit breaker.png
Views:	605
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	49524
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Brian. It looks like the negative side of the switch has failed. O.L means open circuit or no connection. BTW, here's a great video on DC switches used on solar charging systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmi-vrGOFyk

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            Brian. It looks like the negative side of the switch has failed.
            Thanks for confirming that Jim. I've ordered a replacement breaker but it looks like I'll have to wait another couple weeks for it to arrive. This build is taking forever just waiting for parts.
            Brian & Kellie
            2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
            2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
            2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
            2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

Thanks for confirming that Jim. I've ordered a replacement breaker but it looks like I'll have to wait another couple weeks for it to arrive. This build is taking forever just waiting for parts.
              Brian
              I am not sure where your at, but have you check your electrical supply houses? Some carry these breakers.
              Anyway good luck. I am waiting on my correct breakers from China too. I don't know how they do it for the price with shipping by air to the US and then shipping cost here? Makes me wonder. It used to be Radio Shack would have everything you could ever need in electronics and USA made. Now - who knows what your getting. Sorry you got a bad one. It would be interesting to tear it apart and see what went wrong.

Hang in there
              Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Brian - not certain of your urgency to get the breaker but possibly if you check with your neighbors in your RV resort or go to a local dealer, you will be GTG quickly. Or maybe calling GDRV Customer Service and they will ship one or more to you ASAP.

Dan
                Dan & Carol
                2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                  I am not sure where your at, but have you check your electrical supply houses? Some carry these breakers.
                  Hi Keith

We're in Palm Springs. I ended up ordering two breakers just in case the one I want arrives after we leave here. One is the replacement 63amp version that should arrive in a couple weeks. The other is a 32amp version that is supposed to be here tomorrow. According to my calculations, my panels are putting 19.7amps max into the charge controller so I should be OK with the 32amp breaker. I'll test each of them prior to wiring them into my system to make sure they work.

-Brian
                  Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                    Brian - not certain of your urgency to get the breaker but possibly if you check with your neighbors in your RV resort or go to a local dealer, you will be GTG quickly. Or maybe calling GDRV Customer Service and they will ship one or more to you ASAP.
                    Hi Dan

The DC DIN rail mini breaker I'm using as a disconnect is for the solar system I'm building. It's not an OEM part so Grand Design wouldn't stock it. Thanks for the feedback though!

-Brian
                    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Hi Dan

The DC DIN rail mini breaker I'm using as a disconnect is for the solar system I'm building. It's not an OEM part so Grand Design wouldn't stock it. Thanks for the feedback though!

-Brian
                      My bad, Brian ! I missed that and should have known as I have been following your and all the other solar threads. Brain gas !

Dan
                      Dan & Carol
                      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Got my (temporary 32a) replacement circuit breaker today and it actually works! I still can't believe the original was defective.
                        Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Got my (temporary 32a) replacement circuit breaker today and it actually works! I still can't believe the original was defective.
                          Brian - I'm curious why you went with a 63 amp breaker in the first place. A rule of thumb is to size a fuse or breaker at 125% of the load or maximum wire ampacity. So lets say your circuit is drawing 19 amps, and your wiring is rated for 25 amps. 25 amps x 125% = 31.25 amps. So a 32 amp breaker would be appropriate for this application.

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Brian - I'm curious why you went with a 63 amp breaker in the first place. A rule of thumb is to size a fuse or breaker at 125% of the load or maximum wire ampacity. So lets say your circuit is drawing 19 amps, and your wiring is rated for 25 amps. 25 amps x 125% = 31.25 amps. So a 32 amp breaker would be appropriate for this application.

Jim
                            Hi Jim

I went with the 63amp breaker because that's what the guy who's blog I'm following used. It's just a disconnect and I think he chose the 63 amp breaker just in case somebody had an array with higher amperage. I may just keep the 32amp breaker in my system and use the 63amp breaker as a backup since I no longer trust them. My array puts out 19.7 amps max so the 32amp breaker should work fine.

-Brian
                            Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Hi Jim

I went with the 63amp breaker because that's what the guy who's blog I'm following used. It's just a disconnect and I think he chose the 63 amp breaker just in case somebody had an array with higher amperage. I may just keep the 32amp breaker in my system and use the 63amp breaker as a backup since I no longer trust them. My array puts out 19.7 amps max so the 32amp breaker should work fine.

-Brian
                              I think you'll be fine. But you want the breaker (or fuse) to fail first. That is, before any wires or devices lose their smoke.

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie
                              2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

OK, so I am entirely new to RVing and solar. I have a 2021 Transcend with the 165W panel and Furrion MPPT. GD did NOT wire a switch into this system, is this something I should look into doing? When should the system be switched off, beyond servicing of course?
                                Jonathon, Sarah, Things 1, 2, & 3 Higham
                                2020 Silverado 1500
                                2021 Transcend Xplor 297QB

Comment

Working...
                                X