• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jwhigham (Jonathon),

Several related threads:
    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/3...connect-switch

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/r...-solar-manuals

The key is the diagram on page 10 of the Furrion controller manual. I can only guess that GD thinks the Battery Disconnect is sufficient for the "switch" shown in the diagram between the battery and controller. Putting a dedicated switch (that only removes power to the controller) is something that could be easily done.

There's not a requirement to add an additional switch--it's for convenience. (I'd want one installed.)

Does that help?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Furrion.PNG
Views:	885
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	49964 ​​​​​​​
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson
      This thread is in regard to the switch between the panel and the MPPT (if I've read it correctly) and that is the switch that not to be found in my trailer. I see it is important enough to put in the installation instructions. So I guess my question is, in such a small system is it imperative to have that switch and GD missed something important or is that something that more necessary in full fledged solar systems?
      Jonathon, Sarah, Things 1, 2, & 3 Higham
      2020 Silverado 1500
      2021 Transcend Xplor 297QB

Comment

Originally posted by jwhigham View Post
        howson
        This thread is in regard to the switch between the panel and the MPPT (if I've read it correctly) and that is the switch that not to be found in my trailer. I see it is important enough to put in the installation instructions. So I guess my question is, in such a small system is it imperative to have that switch and GD missed something important or is that something that more necessary in full fledged solar systems?
        Ah--sorry, missed that.

I think it's important. As stated in the controller's owners manual, battery power is connected to the controller first then PV power (steps 7 and 8 on page 10). Should you need to turn off the controller the steps are reversed--disconnect PV from the controller and then the battery power. Much easier to do this with dedicated switches. (i have a combined circuit breaker/switch for the battery side, and a disconnect switch on the solar side on my setup.)

Not having a disconnect for the panel(s) leaves the possibility of solar power "sitting" on the connections with an unpowered controller. There are probably exceptions, but the steps to power up and power down a controller are the same across the brands. So...I have no idea why GD did not put a switch as per the diagram. IMHO they should have.

Howard
        Last edited by howson; 04-12-2021, 04:59 PM.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Can someone give advice on the best way to combine feeds from the roof top and a carry out solar unit? The roof will always feed to the controller and the carryout will be connected while the roof top is already feeding the controller.
          Thanks
          2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Originally posted by cvretis View Post
            Can someone give advice on the best way to combine feeds from the roof top and a carry out solar unit? The roof will always feed to the controller and the carryout will be connected while the roof top is already feeding the controller.
            Thanks
            Use two completely separate controllers, the input of one dedicated to the portable panels and the other controller's input connected to the roof panels. The output of the two controllers are then connected to the same battery bank (and should play nicely with each other).

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Use two completely separate controllers, the input of one dedicated to the portable panels and the other controller's input connected to the roof panels. The output of the two controllers are then connected to the same battery bank (and should play nicely with each other).
              Thanks for the responses.

What is recommended sequence for connecting and dis-connecting?
              2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

What is recommended sequence for connecting and dis-connecting?
                My knowledge is limited to Victron controllers, the Furrion and the Jaboni. All three of these OEMs state the sequence is battery power connected to the controller first ("turn on" the controller), then solar power connected to the controller.

In your setup, this sequence is true for both controllers independent of each other. I don't think it matters which one is turned on first and second, or if only one is used, as long as the correct connect (or disconnect) sequence for each controller is followed.

A circuit breaker disconnect between the battery bank and controller makes step 1 easy, and a disconnect switch makes step 2 easy. I believe that is why in almost every schematic you'll see from a reputable source online you'll see a setup like the one below from AMSolar.

The "high current switch" is between the panels and controller; the 50A circuit breaker is between the batteries and controller.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AMSolar MPPT Connection Diagram - AMSolar.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.1 KB ID:	53169

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

My knowledge is limited to Victron controllers, the Furrion and the Jaboni. All three of these OEMs state the sequence is battery power connected to the controller first ("turn on" the controller), then solar power connected to the controller.

In your setup, this sequence is true for both controllers independent of each other. I don't think it matters which one is turned on first and second, or if only one is used, as long as the correct connect (or disconnect) sequence for each controller is followed.

A circuit breaker disconnect between the battery bank and controller makes step 1 easy, and a disconnect switch makes step 2 easy. I believe that is why in almost every schematic you'll see from a reputable source online you'll see a setup like the one below from AMSolar.

The "high current switch" is between the panels and controller; the 50A circuit breaker is between the batteries and controller.

Click image for larger version Name:	AMSolar MPPT Connection Diagram - AMSolar.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.1 KB ID:	53169
                  I am doing this through one controller. There is only a total of 400 watts PV (2 on top, 2 carry out).
                  2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

I am doing this through one controller. There is only a total of 400 watts PV (2 on top, 2 carry out).
                    If all four panels are the same...it is certainly possible what you're suggesting. If you're mixing panel types it will have performance impacts--see Will Prowse's YouTube video (or any number of other resources) on the topic for more info.

For most individuals that want to use a portable solar array, a controller built in to the "suitcase" of the portable unit is easier to understand.

Comment

howson Hi Howard, I wanted to share a picture of my solar disconnect. It does disconnect both +&- sides and has the ability to switch (cut off) two seperate arrays if wanted or needed. Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar disconnect.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	121822
                      Jim & Kathy
                      2022 Imagine 2600RB
                      2022 RAM 1500 Limited Longhorn, Hemi e-Torque, 3:92,
                      trailer tow pkg, 4x air suspension, TT TPMS.

Comment

Originally posted by openrangeowners View Post
                        I had the same Blue Sea switch for my panels shutoff but decided to add 2 more panels (going from a 2S2P to a 3S2P system) that raised my voltage from 48V to 72V - this exceeds the Blue Sea Switch rating, so I replaced it with a double pole DC breaker rated at 250VDC (and much lower amps - 63 amps versus 300 amps that the Blue Sea was rated). I think I am code-compliant now

So check the voltage of your system (note that the charge controller can handle up to 150 Volts, and depending on how you wire your panels you can run into potential issues (first is getting shocked .... the Blue Sea Switch does not full protect the terminals from human contact unless flush mounted ... and when working from the back one can still put their fingers on a live DC wire. I think that is the reason for the 48VDC rating on the Blue Sea switch. Physically I am pretty sure it can easily handle shutting off the up to 20 amps of current at 72V DC ...

The following video was educational .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOXnWXvLXko
                        I also had the Blue Sea switch. Thanks for noting the voltage as I am installing two more panels this winter also putting me in the 3S2P configuration also. I still like adding a switch in between the panels and controller. Went with the 150/100 controller but missed the switch voltage limits. oh well something else to shop for before I go.
                        Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
                        2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

Working...
                        X