Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comparison between Victron MultiPlus 12/3000/120 and Magnum MS2812 Inverter/chargers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparison between Victron MultiPlus 12/3000/120 and Magnum MS2812 Inverter/chargers

Yep I am out of my corner.

Folks I need you honest opinion and help in making the correct decision - the first time. I have been comparing two Inverter / chargers for so time now.

Background
    2018 Reflection 150 series 220RK Standard 30A 120 volt service
    Planed battery bank 4-6V Crown CR-260 battery's in series/parallel. 260AH each 520AH total 260AH usable Cost $648
    I have 2 Victron SmartSolar MPPT chargers and a BMV 712 to install. These are all Bluetooth so I can program and check using my cell [hone. They can also be connected to the Cerbo GX with VE direct cables. Correct?

Source materials for comparison

Magnum MS 2812 owners manual

file:///C:/Users/POWER/AppData/Local/Temp/64-0007%20Rev%20F%20(MS%20Series)_Web.pdf
    Magnum MS 2812 specification sheet
    https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/pr...rger-ms-series
    Victron MultiPlus 12/3000/12 Data sheet
    https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...120V-US-EN.pdf
    Victron MultiPlus 12/3000/120 Manual
    https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...xxx4xx)-EN.pdf

SPECIFICATIONS
    INVERTER SPECIFICATIONS MS2812 MultiPlus 12/3000/120
    Input battery voltage range 9 - 16.8 VDC 9.5-17V
    output voltage accuracy 120 VAC ± 5% 120 vac +/- 2%
    Output frequency and accuracy 60 Hz ± 0.1 Hz 60z+/- 1%
    Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) < 5%
    1 msec surge current (amps AC) 70
    100 msec surge current (amps AC) 40
    5 sec surge power (real watts) 3900 Peak power 6000W
    30 sec surge power (real watts 3800
    5 min surge power (real watts 3200
    30 min surge power (real watts) 3000
    Output power (continuous watts) 2800 3000VA 2400W
    Maximum continuous input current 373 ADC
    Inverter efficiency (peak) 90% 93%
    AC Relay Transfer time (minimum) 16 msecs
    Power Consumption – searching <8 wats 8W
    Power Consumption-inverting (no load) 30 watts 20W
    Output Waveform Pure Sine Wave Pure sine wave
    CHARGER SPECIFICATIONS
    Continuous output at 25° 125 ADC 120A
    Charger efficiency 85%
    Power factor > .95
    Input current for continuous rated output 18 AAC

GENERAL FEATURES AND CAPABILITY'S Magnum MS 2812
    Transfer relay capability 30 ACC max. each input 60ACC total MultiPlus is 50a I think
    Five stage charging capability Bulk, Absorb, Float, Equalize (requires remote), and Battery Saver™
    Battery temperature compensation Standard with available temp sensor connected (battery temp 0-50° C)
    Internal cooling 0 to 120 cfm variable speed drive using dual 92mm brushless DC fans
    Overcurrent protection Yes, with two overlapping circuits
    Overtemperature protection Yes on transformer, MOSFETS, and battery
    Corrosion protection Yes, PCB’s conformal coated, powder coated chassis/top, and stainless-steel fasteners
    Branch-rated output circuit breakers Optional on the MS2000 (15 or 20 amp breakers), MS2012 (15 or 20 amp breakers) or MS4048 (20amp breakers

For Victrom MultiPlus see flyer.

What parts I need and costs for each

Victron set up

Multiplus 12/3000
    Cerbo Gx
    Touch 50
    mk3 to USB
    UTP 1.8m
    VE direct .9m X2
    VE direct 3m
    Best price $1636.47

Magnum set up

Magnum MS 2812 inverter charger
    Magnum ME-RC50 remote
    Best price $1564.49

Cost difference is $71.98 in favor of the Magnum MS 2812

The above allow me to program and monitor the inverter/charger operation. Cost difference is $71.98

Pro/cons
    Magnum is a bit more powerful on continuous use, by Multiplus has a better peak power. Toss up
    Magnum is easier to program using the remote. Multiplus has more programmable features but needs a laptop to do so in the field Advantage Magnum, but I want a laptop so possible advantage Multiplus.
    Mounting Multiplus is wall or horizonta -l wall mount preferred. Magnum is wall/floor/celing . Slight advantage Magnum
    Fan noise Some have said they can hear the Magnum. I have heard no complaints on the Multiplus Advantage Multiplus
    Charger 120A multiplus 125 amp Magnum Slight advantage Magnum Both chargers are fully programmable for various battery types.
    Both have transfer switches. Magnums will work with unit off, Multiplus must be on. Advantage Magnum. However I would have the Multiplus charger on if 120 shore is available - so wash.
    Touch 50 monitor - good display and with Cerbo GX I will be able to see MPPT solar chargers and BMV712 in addition to Multiplus status. Remote for Magnum is good, but I would need cell phone and Bluetooth connection to monitor MPPT and BMV712. Advantage Multiplus
    With Cerbo GX I can tie in my other devices and see them on the touch 50? True? If so advantage Multiplus
    Magnum set up is less complicated to wire up and possible will take up less space. Possible advantage Magnum
    Transfer switch - Magnum 30A Multiplus 50A. Advantage Multiplus

Unknowns for me
    Will I see any real difference in power output between the units?
    Do I need all the extra features the Multiplus has and will I actually use them? I want something basic to turn on the inverter and turn off the inverter. The 712 battery monitor will tell me battery status. So do I need to see solar output/usage/etc?
    Support -I know you folks here will help me not make a mess on the Multiplus, but are there folks with the Magnum experience. Dealer and manufacturer support is available for both. Does Victron have a good owner support site for questions?
    Programing the Magnum looks easy per the videos. Setting up and programing the Multiplus seems a bit more complicated per their videos. Having never programed any device like this am I getting in over my head? I have said before I am not smart phone savvy - heck I cant even send a text or sometimes read them. Right now I have a desk top to program with, which means rigging up a 12v or 110 power to the Multiplus for programming befor I install Are there many good youtube vids on programing the Multiplus. I honestly have not looked yet, but found several good ones for the Magnum

Last - what will SWMBO say if the Multiplus shows up?

Folks Please give me you honest thoughts on the comparison (facts correct?)
    Please make sure I have chosen the correct components.

Its amazing after all this I may be back to what you folks have recommended all along

Thanks
    Keith
    Me thinks I need to go and hide now

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda ,
    I can't be objective, you know that--no question I vote for the Multiplus.

Don't discount how everything Victron works together--everything else is Victron in your setup. "Resistance is futile..."

It's not good to love things, so I guess you could say I'm enraptured by how the Victron works together. Because my 315RLTS is parked out back (and can tap into my home's WiFi) I can see my system's status at any moment. Below is a report from the VRM Portal (a website)--another feature you get with the Victron universe of components.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Today Output.JPG
Views:	1530
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	48196

Do you need this? Of course not. Is it freaking cool and fun to view and see how the system's working? Heck yes! (The blue thingy in the middle of the diagram is the Multiplus--you can see it's status which is Inverting.)

Cry once, Keith, is my .02.

Howard

P.S. Why were my batteries so low this morning (blue line)? I ran the air conditioner in the RV yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours and then had a "date night" with the DW in the RV (we watched a movie while sitting in our theater seats. Even snuck in popcorn and some drinks...ha!). As you can see the solar took care of business and recharged the battery bank right back up today with no problem.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Man Keith, I thought I spent a lot of time researching stuff but you put me to shame here. The reason I didn't spend much time researching the equipment for my solar system is because Victron seems to be the gold standard and their ecosystem reminds me of Apple. They do a good job integrating all of their hardware and software. Integration has always been a big deal to me so when I find a company that makes super high quality equipment that is tightly integrated, I gravitate towards them.

You are looking at a lot of details for the inverters and I think you just need to decide which features are most important then match that to the company that provides the best features for your needs. After quality and general feature sets, integration is next for me so Victron was an easy choice - for me.

You mentioned buying the Touch 50 if you go Victron. You can use the VRM Portal on your phone or laptop/tablet and see the same information. I'm trying to find a reason to buy a Touch 50 but I haven't found a location in my 310GK to mount it that would make it convenient to glance at it as I pass by so I may just settle on using the VRM Portal since I'm frequently staring at my laptop. Plus, once the novelty of geeking out on the solar data wears off, I probably won't get up to stare at the Touch 50 any longer. The reason I mention this is it could save you a couple hundred bucks if you skip the Touch 50.

Victron does have a good community forum with lots of good information there. I actually never even considered Magnum so I don't know if they have a forum.

Good luck with your decision. I'm pretty sure you will pick what is best for you and you won't have any regrets. You do too much research for that
      Last edited by bertschb; 03-29-2021, 08:58 PM.
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
        The BMV-712 does not have a VE.Direct port. That's why I sold mine and replaced it with the new Smart Shunt which does have a VE.Direct port.
        Sure it does, Brian. From my configuration, it connects to VE.Direct1 on my CCGX.

What it does not have is the VE.Bus or VE.CAN. Frankly...not 100% sure what uses those bus connections as both my BMV and SmartSolar connect to the CCGX via VE.Direct (the SmartSolar plugs into VE.Direct2.) The Multiplus connects via an Ethernet cable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VE Direct.JPG
Views:	1537
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	48213

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Man Keith, I thought I spent a lot of time researching stuff but you put me to shame here. The reason I didn't spend much time researching the equipment for my solar system is because Victron seems to be the gold standard and their ecosystem reminds me of Apple. They do a good job integrating all of their hardware and software. Integration has always been a big deal to me so when I find a company that makes super high quality equipment that is tightly integrated, I gravitate towards them.

You are looking at a lot of details for the inverters and I think you just need to decide which features are most important then match that to the company that provides the best features for your needs. After quality and general feature sets, integration is next for me so Victron was an easy choice - for me.

You asked about connecting devices to your Cerbo with VE.Direct cables. The BMV-712 does not have a VE.Direct port. That's why I sold mine and replaced it with the new Smart Shunt which does have a VE.Direct port.

You mentioned buying the Touch 50 if you go Victron. You can use the VRM Portal on your phone or laptop/tablet and see the same information. I'm trying to find a reason to buy a Touch 50 but I haven't found a location in my 310GK to mount it that would make it convenient to glance at it as I pass by so I may just settle on using the VRM Portal since I'm frequently staring at my laptop. Plus, once the novelty of geeking out on the solar data wears off, I probably won't get up to stare at the Touch 50 any longer. The reason I mention this is it could save you a couple hundred bucks if you skip the Touch 50.

Victron does have a good community forum with lots of good information there. I actually never even considered Magnum so I don't know if they have a forum.

Good luck with your decision. I'm pretty sure you will pick what is best for you and you won't have any regrets. You do too much research for that
          Thanks Brian
          My BMV 712 Smart display head does have a VE.direct port to tie it onto a CX device. Instruction show it being used. Maybe its something new they added recently. Also I don't have a laptop or tablet so the Touch 50 will get used. Plus I do have an out of the way place to mount with what should be easy cable access.

Thanks for your thoughts
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            Sure it does, Brian. From my configuration, it connects to VE.Direct1 on my CCGX.
            Ohhhhhh, I was looking at the BMV shunt, not the display. I had no idea the display had a VE.Direct port. What the heck? I still prefer the Smart Shunt just because the display for the BMV-712 is redundant considering how many other ways there are to view the battery status.

Sorry for misleading you Keith. Man, I need to just stop posting comments on this forum. I'm wrong waaaaaay more than I'm right. It seems I know my name for sure but not much else.
            Brian & Kellie
            2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
            2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
            2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
            2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Ohhhhhh, I was looking at the BMV shunt, not the display. I had no idea the display had a VE.Direct port. What the heck? I still prefer the Smart Shunt just because the display for the BMV-712 is redundant considering how many other ways there are to view the battery status.

Sorry for misleading you Keith. Man, I need to just stop posting comments on this forum. I'm wrong waaaaaay more than I'm right. It seems I know my name for sure but not much else.
              It's all good, Brian! I feel the same way...I have to correct my posts (often).

Victron made it way confusing when they named that other thing the Lynx Shunt...which only works with the Lynx Distributor. Almost need a college degree to figure out the naming convention.

Keep "Failing Forward" (John Maxwell reference), Brian.

Howard

Comment

No worries Brian - you did make me go and look though. And here even wrong comments are good - gets folks thinking. Why do you think I get told to go to my corner so often? And I am never wrong..........................NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTT!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yoda I am probably in the unique position in that as far as I know I am the only one here that has had both of those units. I originally bought my 2812 off of Ebay. It was new but discounted because of a dent in shipping. I ran it with the remote display first with 4 flooded golf car batteries, and later with my 4 Lion Energy batteries. I ran it off of a sub panel, as it offered 50 amp pass through but only single phase. If you wanted it to handle both phases it would only handle 30 amps.

*****Note before I go any further this may have changed. As I am sure you have noticed, one frustrating thing about this industry is they constantly make improvements and changes*******

I brought my main feed into a new main panel, split off a few large loads like the AC and water heater, and fed the Magnum with a double pole 30 amp breaker. The output of the Magnum then went to the factory panel with all the other loads, which would automatically switch between shore and the inverter.

This system worked flawlessly with one exception. I had no power assist, a feature that would have been nice several times we were moochdocking for extended stays at friends and family a couple years ago. It also lacked a unified interface to control everything from one place.

Last year I decided to replace it with the Multiplus 3000. I did this as part of a complete rework of the Reflections power system. I pulled out the panel I added. I split off one phase and sent it to the Multiplus and then into the stock panel. The other hot went directly into the stock panel. I moved all of the loads I wanted on the inverter to the inverter phase, and put the fireplace, stock converter, and WH on the other phase. I then built a Raspberry PI running Victron's Venus OS to serve as my control panel (its basically the same as a CCGX). It also works flawlessly with one exception:

During the install my Multiplus would occasionally and then permanently not recognize shore power was available and engage (or disengage?) the transfer switch. I troubleshot this fairly extensively and decided the main board or transfer switch itself must be defective. It is manufacturing, it happens. Now for the rub: I bought from Amazon. And it was sold but Amazon, not a third party. But Amazon as it turns out is not an authorized retailer. I contacted Victron to discover they offer no end user support, and require you to get all support (including RMA exchanges and parts) from the place you bought it. So I contacted Amazon. They took it back with a full refund, but obviously could not get me any support. So I reordered from AMSolar knowing I would be covered if I had an issue down the road.

Brian is right the forums are great, but if you need actual support be aware of where you purchase. I never had to get support from Magnum there so not sure what to tell you there.

A few thoughts having used both.

1. Like howson I would add several points for the unified interface. You are already mostly in the Victron ecosystem. I cannot describe enough how nice having everything in one place is.
                  2. Having controlled both I would take the Multiplus via laptop over the Magnum remote control every time. Granted I am very computer savy, but I found the remote cumbersome and needed the manual pretty much anytime I wanted to do anything. In particular defining the custom charge profile for my Lion batteries was a pain.
                  3. Power difference. I realize the Victron is rated lower but I have never noticed it. I can run either my Dometic 15k AC or my Coleman 15k AC off the Victron with no problem (on low) WITHOUT a easy start.
                  4. Wiring: Victron just released a version with split phase passthrough, in my mind this puts is on even footing with the Magnum (unless the Magnum truly is 50 amp split phase now). The new Victron is linked here:https://www.continuousresources.com/...Ei-_RBw0bPeoPE

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I tried to hit most of your concerns.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                    Yoda I am probably in the unique position in that as far as I know I am the only one here that has had both of those units. I originally bought my 2812 off of Ebay. It was new but discounted because of a dent in shipping. I ran it with the remote display first with 4 flooded golf car batteries, and later with my 4 Lion Energy batteries. I ran it off of a sub panel, as it offered 50 amp pass through but only single phase. If you wanted it to handle both phases it would only handle 30 amps.

*****Note before I go any further this may have changed. As I am sure you have noticed, one frustrating thing about this industry is they constantly make improvements and changes*******

I brought my main feed into a new main panel, split off a few large loads like the AC and water heater, and fed the Magnum with a double pole 30 amp breaker. The output of the Magnum then went to the factory panel with all the other loads, which would automatically switch between shore and the inverter.

This system worked flawlessly with one exception. I had no power assist, a feature that would have been nice several times we were moochdocking for extended stays at friends and family a couple years ago. It also lacked a unified interface to control everything from one place.

Last year I decided to replace it with the Multiplus 3000. I did this as part of a complete rework of the Reflections power system. I pulled out the panel I added. I split off one phase and sent it to the Multiplus and then into the stock panel. The other hot went directly into the stock panel. I moved all of the loads I wanted on the inverter to the inverter phase, and put the fireplace, stock converter, and WH on the other phase. I then built a Raspberry PI running Victron's Venus OS to serve as my control panel (its basically the same as a CCGX). It also works flawlessly with one exception:

During the install my Multiplus would occasionally and then permanently not recognize shore power was available and engage (or disengage?) the transfer switch. I troubleshot this fairly extensively and decided the main board or transfer switch itself must be defective. It is manufacturing, it happens. Now for the rub: I bought from Amazon. And it was sold but Amazon, not a third party. But Amazon as it turns out is not an authorized retailer. I contacted Victron to discover they offer no end user support, and require you to get all support (including RMA exchanges and parts) from the place you bought it. So I contacted Amazon. They took it back with a full refund, but obviously could not get me any support. So I reordered from AMSolar knowing I would be covered if I had an issue down the road.

Brian is right the forums are great, but if you need actual support be aware of where you purchase. I never had to get support from Magnum there so not sure what to tell you there.

A few thoughts having used both.

1. Like howson I would add several points for the unified interface. You are already mostly in the Victron ecosystem. I cannot describe enough how nice having everything in one place is.
                    2. Having controlled both I would take the Multiplus via laptop over the Magnum remote control every time. Granted I am very computer savy, but I found the remote cumbersome and needed the manual pretty much anytime I wanted to do anything. In particular defining the custom charge profile for my Lion batteries was a pain.
                    3. Power difference. I realize the Victron is rated lower but I have never noticed it. I can run either my Dometic 15k AC or my Coleman 15k AC off the Victron with no problem (on low) WITHOUT a easy start.
                    4. Wiring: Victron just released a version with split phase passthrough, in my mind this puts is on even footing with the Magnum (unless the Magnum truly is 50 amp split phase now). The new Victron is linked here:https://www.continuousresources.com/...Ei-_RBw0bPeoPE

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I tried to hit most of your concerns.
                    Thanks Neil
                    I only have a single phase 30 amp set up so don't need the split phase. Magnum has a split phase transfer switch rated at 30amp per single hot. The manual link shows several wiring possibility and a way to get 60 amp out, but that seems strange if I am using a 30 amp source.

Thanks folks for the thoughts. So far Invertersrus has given me the best Victron price, but I think Continousresources who I got my other Victron stuff from may match or beat it. They have the Best Magnum price. AM solar was not inclined to discount their prices at this time. I need to double check to see if they are authorized dealers. On edit - both are distributors. Continous esources is also and installer

I need to sleep on this.

I just thought of something if SWMBO gets on my case, I can always take the trailer and live off grid for a while Think that might work - probably not.

Keith
                    Last edited by Yoda; 03-29-2021, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Thanks Neil
                      I only have a single phase 30 amp set up so don't need the split phase. Magnum has a split phase transfer switch rated at 30amp per single hot. The manual link shows several wiring possibility and a way to get 60 amp out, but that seems strange if I am using a 30 amp source.

Thanks folks for the thoughts. So far Invertersrus has given me the best Victron price, but I think Continousresources who I got my other Victron stuff from may match or beat it. They have the Best Magnum price. AM solar was not inclined to discount their prices at this time. I need to double check to see if they are authorized dealers. On edit - both are distributors. Continous esources is also and installer

I need to sleep on this.

I just thought of something if SWMBO gets on my case, I can always take the trailer and live off grid for a while Think that might work - probably not.

Keith
                      Oh right, I keep forgetting you’re 30 amp. Either should be more than enough for you then.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Oh right, I keep forgetting you’re 30 amp. Either should be more than enough for you then.
                        Yep the Force said downsize...I will let you guess who the Force is. We don't need anything big for our travels. we do our best to stay away from RV parks unless it is laundry day.

I am just a small frog in a sea of crocks - I just forgot to drain it - wonder if I can train them - better yet feed them - lots of nuts out there for them to chew on these days.
                        Thanks again
                        Keith

Comment

Something Blue was just ordered
                          Thanks folks

Keith

Comment

Something Blue was just ordered..
                            Hah! Blue has been a popular color around my place recently too.
                            Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Something Blue was just ordered
                              Thanks folks

Keith
                              Congrats!!

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                              X