Battery Disconnect Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Disconnect Switch

I am interested in what disconnect switch people are using for their battery bank and inverter. The reason I ask is because of all the discussion on the PV solar disconnect topic. I see from the pictures that most people are using the red Blue Sea switch. I have 400ah of Battle Born batteries and a Multiplus 3000. Those red Blue Sea switches seem to be either 300 or 350 amp. I did fine a 600amp switch for twice the price.

So what should the switch be rated for?

Thanks,

John
    John & Beata, Waterford, WI
    2021 Reflection 337 RLS
    2017 Ford F350 Lariat, Diesel, Crew Cab, Demco 21K Recon 5th Wheel Hitch
    1200 watts solar, Multiplus II, 4 BB batteries, Orion DC/DC charger

Originally posted by John L View Post
    I am interested in what disconnect switch people are using for their battery bank and inverter. The reason I ask is because of all the discussion on the PV solar disconnect topic. I see from the pictures that most people are using the red Blue Sea switch. I have 400ah of Battle Born batteries and a Multiplus 3000. Those red Blue Sea switches seem to be either 300 or 350 amp. I did fine a 600amp switch for twice the price.

Thanks,

John
    John,
    As I recently discovered, amperage and voltage (for the voltage consider both the AC and/or DC rating). With further thought on the topic of the voltage rating it dawned on me why the maximum rating on the Blue Sea is 48vDC. That's the highest voltage of a typically configured battery bank (12v, 24v, and 48v).

For amperage, I think the highest sustained amperage is prudent and why engineered systems like the ones from AMSolar use the Blue Sea.

In my case, the Multiplus sustains 25A of 120vAC, which means it will pull 250A of 12vDC from the batteries to achieve the inversion. The Multiplus can surge for a short time above that level, but (again) the maximum sustained amperage of the circuit is what I'd look at to match up a switch.

Finally, for anything above the surge level of the Multiplus the 400A fuse in the circuit will shut things down if there's an issue.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by John L View Post

Thanks,

John
      John
      I am setting up my system. For battery disconnect to inverter I got this https://www.continuousresources.com/...battery-switch. I will probably remove the factory disconnect switch once I figure out how it is wired in.

To isolate each battery pair (2-6V deep cycle in series= 12V) I am using these https://www.continuousresources.com/...ery-switch-red before the power gets to the buss bar for distribution. I cant see an individual battery pair pulling more than 300 amp. They are 48V rated. It allows me to isolate each pair of batteries if needed. On the power feed to my inverter charger I will have a 400 amp fuse before the switch.

Be careful in the selection of switches as the voltage /amperage rating is not the same depending on brands and models. I learned this lesson the hard way. As an example the 3000 series blue sea is only rated to 32VDC but 600Amp continuous. As I am at 12V no issue. So you know the links shown were the best prices I found at the time I ordered.

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

howson , Yoda Thanks for the info. This was very helpful.
        John & Beata, Waterford, WI
        2021 Reflection 337 RLS
        2017 Ford F350 Lariat, Diesel, Crew Cab, Demco 21K Recon 5th Wheel Hitch
        1200 watts solar, Multiplus II, 4 BB batteries, Orion DC/DC charger

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

John
          I am setting up my system. For battery disconnect to inverter I got this https://www.continuousresources.com/...battery-switch. I will probably remove the factory disconnect switch once I figure out how it is wired in.

To isolate each battery pair (2-6V deep cycle in series= 12V) I am using these https://www.continuousresources.com/...ery-switch-red before the power gets to the buss bar for distribution. I cant see an individual battery pair pulling more than 300 amp. They are 48V rated. It allows me to isolate each pair of batteries if needed. On the power feed to my inverter charger I will have a 400 amp fuse before the switch.

Be careful in the selection of switches as the voltage /amperage rating is not the same depending on brands and models. I learned this lesson the hard way. As an example the 3000 series blue sea is only rated to 32VDC but 600Amp continuous. As I am at 12V no issue. So you know the links shown were the best prices I found at the time I ordered.

Keith
          Did you figure out how it is wired? I'd like to do mine and was thinking of connecting the inverter to the battery disconnect switch.
          Towing vehicle is a 2021 ram 1500 hemi etorque. The trailer is a 2021 imagine xls 21bhe

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy View Post

Did you figure out how it is wired? I'd like to do mine and was thinking of connecting the inverter to the battery disconnect switch.
            See post #9 here for a picture of how the factory disconnect switch is wired on my unit. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ed-in-to-power.

For how I installed my switches, review this thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/5...-don-t-mess-up

Hope this helps
            Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
            X