Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

jump start generator with LiFePO4 batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jump start generator with LiFePO4 batteries?

Don't know if this should be in electric or solar but...

Sounds like this might be a dumb question. I have had to jump start my genset a couple of times when the dealer deep cell has been dead after days of clouds and snow. I've ordered a pair of the LION lithium batteries from Costco.

After installing the LION LiFePO4 batteries, can I still just jump start the generator by putting cables from the TV to the house (LION) batteries in an emergency, or is this a bad idea for LiFePO4 batteries?

Thanks to all for any input.

7 days out from first trip in this new Momentum 31G!

JL
    2121 Momentum 31G towed by 2017 Ford F-250 SuperDuty / Gale Banks

Originally posted by jlackman View Post
    Don't know if this should be in electric or solar but...

Sounds like this might be a dumb question. I have had to jump start my genset a couple of times when the dealer deep cell has been dead after days of clouds and snow. I've ordered a pair of the LION lithium batteries from Costco.

After installing the LION LiFePO4 batteries, can I still just jump start the generator by putting cables from the TV to the house (LION) batteries in an emergency, or is this a bad idea for LiFePO4 batteries?

Thanks to all for any input.

7 days out from first trip in this new Momentum 31G!

JL
    I’ve never actually done this, but I’d think for occasional use you’d be okay. They specifically state they’re not to be used to start autos but the starter on the generator would be comparatively small. Here are the specs from Lion, keep in mind this is for one - assuming you’re wiring your two in parallel you’d have double these current ratings:

“It is commonly referred to as a 12.8V, 105Ah (how much energy is stored in it), 1344Wh (12.8V x 105Ah). Technically, it is called Nominal Voltage at 12.8V and 105Ah. It can do 900A for a millisecond (a spike) then approximately 250A for one minute and 150A continuous (how much power it puts out) capacity.”
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Agree with Neil. Since your using the lead acid battery as a buffer and if you waited long enough you may be ok but it all depends on the draw on the LiFeP04 battery. Since this is an instantaneous load I would not do it unless its a matter of being stranded. It would be better to jump start from the TV IMO.

Jim

Comment

I have 3 LiFePO batts (LifeBlue) and they start my on-board Onan 5500 just fine. (Was told one time by BattleBorn that 2 should work but they recommend 3 soooooo 2 may work.)

Edit: On re-read, jumping from TV battery to house (Lion) batteries should be fine. Lion (and others) have internal BMS to protect them. 12v system will be fine.
        Last edited by JCR GD; 03-31-2021, 09:28 AM.
        Jim (& Sharon)
        2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
        2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
        The toys:
        2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
        2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

I had to re-read this as well. Since energy will move from a high energy source to low, the TV battery would transfer to the LiFeP04 battery, but its best to never allow them to discharge completely. Once the LiFeP04 batteries completely die, the BMS may not allow a high energy transfer of power. A Victron BMV712 will help you to monitor your battery state of charge to avoid these issues. Below is a Q&A from BattleBorn on charging (jumping) their battery from a TV.

Bradley Pfanner says:

August 12, 2018 at 4:20 pmCould I charge this battery with jumper cables connected to a running car battery?

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2021, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback! And nobody made me feel dumb like at work! I bit more background but I think I learned a lot from the responses. Right now, I have the single deep cell Interstate deep cycle. This one has gone dead a few times, so when it does that I just pull up the SuperDuty TV and throw jumper cables on it to jump start the generator then get things charged.

Due to space, I'm going to remove the Interstate wet battery and replace it with the two LiFePO4 LIONs. So, I'll have these two LION for house electricity and for starting the generator. But in the possible situation of having the LION pair not charged enough to start the generator, then it sounds like I would be OK to jump start the generator by putting jumper cables on the LION batteries, which will be feeding the generator.

I just got the two Costco LION today I'm pretty excited to get these set up.

Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by jlackman View Post
              Thanks for all the feedback! And nobody made me feel dumb like at work! I bit more background but I think I learned a lot from the responses. Right now, I have the single deep cell Interstate deep cycle. This one has gone dead a few times, so when it does that I just pull up the SuperDuty TV and throw jumper cables on it to jump start the generator then get things charged.

Due to space, I'm going to remove the Interstate wet battery and replace it with the two LiFePO4 LIONs. So, I'll have these two LION for house electricity and for starting the generator. But in the possible situation of having the LION pair not charged enough to start the generator, then it sounds like I would be OK to jump start the generator by putting jumper cables on the LION batteries, which will be feeding the generator.

I just got the two Costco LION today I'm pretty excited to get these set up.

Jonathan
              I see, I misunderstood, I thought you were looking to jump the interstate off the Lion. Again they’re not really designed for it, but if it was me I would do it. The generator starter shouldn’t be too big of a load.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I see, I misunderstood, I thought you were looking to jump the interstate off the Lion. Again they’re not really designed for it, but if it was me I would do it. The generator starter shouldn’t be too big of a load.
                thanks ncitro

Comment

Working...
                X