Fastening my panels to the roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastening my panels to the roof

Looking for input here. As this weekend is the first weekend warm enough to consider placing my panels on the roof, I have Renogy tilt panel mounts but am looking for what to fasten them with. Plenty of Dicor on hand and butyl sealant to place on the screws but am struggling with what size screws to go through the roof with. Would love this groups input
    Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
    2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Originally posted by 50ST8R View Post
    Looking for input here. As this weekend is the first weekend warm enough to consider placing my panels on the roof, I have Renogy tilt panel mounts but am looking for what to fasten them with. Plenty of Dicor on hand and butyl sealant to place on the screws but am struggling with what size screws to go through the roof with. Would love this groups input
    I believe the plywood on the roof is 3/4 or 5/8, I’d use as big of diameter as the hole in your bracket is and 3/4 inch screws.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I believe the plywood on the roof is 3/4 or 5/8, I’d use as big of diameter as the hole in your bracket is and 3/4 inch screws.
      Thanks Neil,

i was thinking 3/4 out 1 inch. I understand there is some room below but don’t want to push it. I figured an Ace hardware run for Stainless screws would be worth the trip. All the internal is done so it is just installing and connecting quite on top.
      Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger

Comment

My roof was ~5/8", so I used 10 x 3/4" Stainless Truss Head Phillips Wood Screw on AM Solar brackets.
        Gene and Kim
        2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
        2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by 50ST8R View Post
          Thanks Neil,

i was thinking 3/4 out 1 inch. I understand there is some room below but don’t want to push it. I figured an Ace hardware run for Stainless screws would be worth the trip. All the internal is done so it is just installing and connecting quite on top.
          Yeah I would do stainless for sure. If your bracket is fairly thick you probably would be fine with 1”. If it’s thinner I would do 3/4, unless someone chimes in and confirms the roof is 5/8. Like you say a small protrusion probably won’t hurt anything but 3/4” of bite should hold fine. Does each bracket have one hole for the roof or two?

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Yeah I would do stainless for sure. If your bracket is fairly thick you probably would be fine with 1”. If it’s thinner I would do 3/4, unless someone chimes in and confirms the roof is 5/8. Like you say a small protrusion probably won’t hurt anything but 3/4” of bite should hold fine. Does each bracket have one hole for the roof or two?
            As it is a tilt panel it has multiple spaces. 28 inches long so will fasten about every 7 inches. I figured at least it will be easier to clear to roof being able to raise a side.

Comment

Here is the actual mount.
              Attached Files

Comment

I believe the roofing material is actually 3/8" plywood. It needs to be flexible enough to be able to conform to the curvature of the trusses.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I used Super Strut (Strut Channel) sold at Home Depot (comes in 10' lengths and is galvanized). This allows me to easily move panels or remove them to service things. With a tilt setup the Super Struts would be great.
                  2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
                  1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
                  2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Thanks all, got 2 panels totally fastened in and will finish up tomorrow and write them in.

Comment

Nice! Congrats!

Neil Citro

Comment

Finished product. Just need to check out the PV in Sun but has 140 watts when I took the covers off at 5:00 tonight.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X