Transfer Switch Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer Switch Recommendations?

I'm going to install a 50A transfer switch for when I'm running on inverter power. Any recommendations on a good reputable brand?

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Hi Jim,

You can't go wrong with components designed and built for marine use. They won't be the cheapest, but they will be built to standards far above normal RV industry specs. I would look at Victron or Blue Seas. Not that I know for a fact that either makes auto transfer switches . . . Blue Seas certainly makes high current manual transfer switches . . . if you want to keep it simple.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      I'm going to install a 50A transfer switch for when I'm running on inverter power. Any recommendations on a good reputable brand?

Thanks,

Jim
      I can't remember which inverter you have, but most of the newer inverter/charger's have a built-in ATS. And the charger section is usually better than the OEM supplied converter. Why do you need a dedicated ATS?
      2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
      Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
      2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
      18k B&W Companion, non-slider
      640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
      Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
      Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

I can't remember which inverter you have, but most of the newer inverter/charger's have a built-in ATS. And the charger section is usually better than the OEM supplied converter. Why do you need a dedicated ATS?
        Steve - I have a stand alone 2000 watt pure sine inverter. I charge my Battle Born batteries with a Progressive Dynamics lithium converter/charger. What I'm trying to do is install a transfer switch so that when I power up the inverter, it provides power to all the coach along with shutting off power to the converter/charger. I already have schematics of how I want to set it up, but just need to nail down a good quality transfer switch.

Rob. Thanks for the tip about searching for marine applications. Good idea.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

The SmartATS I bought from AM solar is fantastic. Unfortunately they only sell it as part of a kit not as a standalone item. The best thing about it is that it provides power to both legs of the 50 amps not just 1.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

TucsonJim
            https://www.progressivedyn.com/transfer-switches/
            https://gpelectric.com/product-categ...sfer-switches/
            https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-F50-A...9023637&sr=8-4
            https://www.amazon.com/Surge-Guard-4...9023637&sr=8-5
            https://www.amazon.com/Surge-Guard-4...023637&sr=8-17

These are brands I ran across looking for my 30amp one. All brands I have seen folks use. Hope this helps
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith - The last three are all 50 amp, so those won't do you any good. With your 30 amp system, stick with a 30 amp transfer switch.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Keith - The last three are all 50 amp, so those won't do you any good. With your 30 amp system, stick with a 30 amp transfer switch.

Jim
                Understood - I had them in my research list. Just trying to help.
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Understood - I had them in my research list. Just trying to help.
                  Ah-ha got ya. And every one of those are top notch switches.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

EDIT**

My reply was to a post from a year ago, I apologize for any confusion.

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    The SmartATS I bought from AM solar is fantastic. Unfortunately they only sell it as part of a kit not as a standalone item. The best thing about it is that it provides power to both legs of the 50 amps not just 1.
                    They do sell it as stand alone now, but its backordered while they work on the next version of it:

https://amsolar.com/rv-inverter-accessories/50-tsfmb1
                    Last edited by ncitro; 12-28-2020, 12:56 PM.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Reading through this thread, I never came back with the solution I selected.

Automatic transfer switches are very handy when switching between 2 or 3 inputs. You can use them to feed power to your breaker box from shore power, an inverter, or a generator. In my situation, I wanted positive control over the input source and not be dependent on an automatic switch. I used a rotary switch from Blue Sea (marine products) to switch between my inverter and shore power. I was very limited on space, and I wanted positive control over the electrical source.

Here is a link to the 50 amp switch I selected. It is very pricey, but fit my needs.

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Rotary-Swi...%2C215&sr=8-12

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Reading through this thread, I never came back with the solution I selected.

Automatic transfer switches are very handy when switching between 2 or 3 inputs. You can use them to feed power to your breaker box from shore power, an inverter, or a generator. In my situation, I wanted positive control over the input source and not be dependent on an automatic switch. I used a rotary switch from Blue Sea (marine products) to switch between my inverter and shore power. I was very limited on space, and I wanted positive control over the electrical source.

Here is a link to the 50 amp switch I selected. It is very pricey, but fit my needs.

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Rotary-Swi...%2C215&sr=8-12

Jim
                        Thanks for the update! I see I did the number one forum no no and did not look at the date of the thread I replied to lol. I am going to delete my reply as it was in response to Howards post from 2019.

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

DOH!!!!!!
                          How in the world did I miss this wan an old thread. I need my eyes examined. Did learn new things though.

Comment

Working...
                          X