Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programing Victron Equipment Before Installation

Good morning
    I have been searching, watching YouTube videos, and reading programing tips/tricks before installation on my Victron equipment. There is lots on programming the MultiPlus system. You need to provide power to the unit (either 110 or 12V) and connect using the MK3 adapter. Of course it is understood I need to download the programing software.

However there is very little I can find on programing the SmartSolar MPPT charger controllers before installation. I was hoping to do it inside at my desk by plugging in a 12V battery to the output circuit. I have better light conditions to use my phone. Can they only be programed using the Bluetooth or can they be hooked up to the computer in some way similar to the MultiPlus. The other answer I nave not found is whether the SmartSolars retain the programing when power is removed.

I also have the BMV 712 battery monitor that need setting up, but it appears that programing can easily be done once hooked up to the batteries and using the buttons on the face plate - or did I miss something?

Any how to links would be appreciated - Thanks
    Keith

Now back to finishing the taxes
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    Good morning
    I have been searching, watching YouTube videos, and reading programing tips/tricks before installation on my Victron equipment. There is lots on programming the MultiPlus system. You need to provide power to the unit (either 110 or 12V) and connect using the MK3 adapter. Of course it is understood I need to download the programing software.

However there is very little I can find on programing the SmartSolar MPPT charger controllers before installation. I was hoping to do it inside at my desk by plugging in a 12V battery to the output circuit. I have better light conditions to use my phone. Can they only be programed using the Bluetooth or can they be hooked up to the computer in some way similar to the MultiPlus. The other answer I nave not found is whether the SmartSolars retain the programing when power is removed.

I also have the BMV 712 battery monitor that need setting up, but it appears that programing can easily be done once hooked up to the batteries and using the buttons on the face plate - or did I miss something?

Any how to links would be appreciated - Thanks
    Keith

Now back to finishing the taxes
    I believe the Smart Solar and BMV can be programmed from a laptop if it is equipped with Bluetooth. I am 90% sure I have seen them in the list of things I can connect to when I fire up my laptop. That said I have always programmed them on my phone because I have it with me. You might be able to program the BMV via the display but I would not want to. There are a fair number of settings in there, I would bet if it can be done from the display it is only a limited set of options. If you can get them powered up and your laptop has internet and Bluetooth, I would be glad to log in to your laptop and talk you through some of it over your phone.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Keith - I programmed both my Smart Solar and my BMV712 through my smart phone using Blue-tooth. Victron has a very user friendly interface via the Blue-tooth app. Don't sweat it too much if you can't get an interface via computer. I do believe the settings are retained when power is removed.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I believe the Smart Solar and BMV can be programmed from a laptop if it is equipped with Bluetooth. I am 90% sure I have seen them in the list of things I can connect to when I fire up my laptop. That said I have always programmed them on my phone because I have it with me. You might be able to program the BMV via the display but I would not want to. There are a fair number of settings in there, I would bet if it can be done from the display it is only a limited set of options. If you can get them powered up and your laptop has internet and Bluetooth, I would be glad to log in to your laptop and talk you through some of it over your phone.
        TucsonJim

I just discovered my desk top has bluetooth. So if I can bring in a battery and plug it into the battery side of the controller can I program it at my desk? I found information on the Battle Born web page that kinda of implies it can be done (says connect 12V power). Would it hurt anything to try (assuming I get the power connected correctly) Now to see if I can get the app downloaded - never downloaded an app before - what could go wrong

Thanks
        Keith

ON edit - I now have the Victron connect programing on my desk top. Question - is it important to set up a VRM account?
        Last edited by Yoda; 04-09-2021, 11:06 AM.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

TucsonJim

I just discovered my desk top has bluetooth. So if I can bring in a battery and plug it into the battery side of the controller can I program it at my desk? I found information on the Battle Born web page that kinda of implies it can be done (says connect 12V power). Would it hurt anything to try (assuming I get the power connected correctly) Now to see if I can get the app downloaded - never downloaded an app before - what could go wrong

Thanks
          Keith

ON edit - I now have the Victron connect programing on my desk top. Question - is it important to set up a VRM account?
          VRM Will be needed if you want to monitor remotely, and if you want anyone at Victron to help diagnose anything remotely. That said you’ll also need Internet in the rig to connect it to.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

TucsonJim

Thanks
            Keith

Only if you want to take cool snapshots and post them.

Can you tell it's a stormy day here in NW Florida?

Click image for larger version

Name:	As of now.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	49900

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yoda
              There's a lot of other advantages...but the focus right now should be the VictronConnect app on a bluetooth-enabled device.

For example, with a VRM account you can use your laptop to connect to your configuration via the internet. Below is the view when I logged into the VictronConnect app on my WIndows 7 computer:

Name:	Victron Connect.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	49904

The "Local" option would look for my BMV or MPPT via bluetooth. The VRM will connect over the internet since I have a VRM account established. Below you can see it found my two devices.

Name:	devices.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	49905

So sitting in my office I'm able to pull up a VictronConnect view just like if I was near the camper using bluetooth. That wheel icon in upper right opens the settings.

Name:	solar view.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	49906

Been awhile since I've reviewed these settings--curious if they match Neil's (or anyone else's with a similar configuration):

Name:	settings MPPT.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	49907

Comment

howson Howard and all, I wonder if the system can be configured to dump any excess power back into the local grid??? Set it up once the batteries reach 98% cap it starts sending power out to the grid then overnight slowly releases power till the batteries are at 50% charge. Next day charge on solar only and repeat??
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                  howson Howard and all, I wonder if the system can be configured to dump any excess power back into the local grid??? Set it up once the batteries reach 98% cap it starts sending power out to the grid then overnight slowly releases power till the batteries are at 50% charge. Next day charge on solar only and repeat??
                  Yes, but there's a lot (that I don't know, frankly) about getting my system qualified for a grid connect. I'm just happy (right now) that I don't have to connect to shore power at home. Solar and batteries keep my Winegard and other misc items running with no issues. Paid mega $$$ for all this stuff--might as well use it! I'll actually be happy if I wear it out before I wear out.

Comment

Update
                    Even though my desk top has Bluetooth, it cannot connect to the MPPT controllers. In the instructions it states Bluetooth connection not available through windows. However I was able to get the app on my smart phone and do the updates and configuration. Next up is the Multiplus

Comment

Update
                      Even though my desk top has Bluetooth, it cannot connect to the MPPT controllers. In the instructions it states Bluetooth connection not available through windows. However I was able to get the app on my smart phone and do the updates and configuration. Next up is the Multiplus
                      Strange but glad you’ve got it going. I’ve only ever done it on a Mac or phone.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                      X