Solar Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Panel

I just purchased a Transcend 297QB Explor and it came with a factory installed solar panel. Will the solar panel charge the battery when the trailer battery disconnect switch is open, or will the disconnect switch need to be closed? I'd like to let the solar panel keep the battery charged when the trailer is not in use and the battery disconnect switch is open.
    Steve B
    Transend Xplor 297QB
    2020 Ford Expedition Max (with HD towing option)

Originally posted by StevenB View Post
    I just purchased a Transcend 297QB Explor and it came with a factory installed solar panel. Will the solar panel charge the battery when the trailer battery disconnect switch is open, or will the disconnect switch need to be closed? I'd like to let the solar panel keep the battery charged when the trailer is not in use and the battery disconnect switch is open.
    Welcome to the forum and the Grand Design family, Steven. I've moved your post to the Solar channel. Hopefully one of our more knowledgeable members will be along shortly to answer your question.

Since you are new here, when you have a chance, check out our Welcome Letter to help you get the most out of the forum.

Andi
    Andi
    Brookings SD
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

To charge the trailer battery the disconnect will need to be in the on connected position (key cant be removed). You will need to keep it connected to the battery so you fridge can run through the night if it is one of the new 12V ones. I am curious as to why you would ever want your battery disconnect in the off position. I never touch mine (always on) and pull a battery lead for winter storage. Otherwise there are parasitic draws ( propane detector, etc) that will kill the battery over time. The only way to eliminate them is to pull the negative cable off the battery.

Hope this helps
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

You could check this with a meter on the battery to be sure how it is wired.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The battery disconnect DOES NOT disconnect the solar from the battery (or the fridge) but should kill the rest of the parasitic draws (on a Transend Xplor). I have mine stored with the disconnect Key out and the solar is continuing to top off the battery to 13.4V. (no shore power). It should keep your battery topped off with they key out, exactly like you want, as long as you have the refrigerator temperature turned to "off".

Congratulations, you have an awesome camper! I picked up my 279QB 3 weeks ago and have only had limited time to learn/explore it. Here is what I found out so far on this.

The solar charge controller and refrigerator both bypass the cutoff switch and connects directly to the battery via breaker. There is a green LED on the charge controller and the LED light when the fridge is open. Nether light will go out regardless of cutoff position. Inside the fridge, I have the temperature set to off. I have it stored with the door open. The light will never go out, but I suspect even without solar I would get weeks or months of runtime from the battery alone.

The cutoff switch will disable the control panel, slide, propane detector, interior/exterior lights, and anything else that comes from the fuse box inside. I am 99% plugging the trailer into shore power will activate all of those items even with cutout key out. (not recommended, you will get odd/bad results)

The image I attached is a view of the breaker that is located near the battery on the front passenger side of the frame. On one side (bottom) is the battery connection and the tongue jack that has its own inline fuse. On the top side I believe that the large red wire goes to the cut off (and then on to the interior fuse panel), the white wire with red stripe goes to the 7-pin trailer connector, and the remaining 2 wires are the fridge and solar.

I was worried about this same this and went to where I have my trailer stored and checked the battery voltage. I put it away with the battery monitor reading 3/4 (with the cutoff key in and turned on). I am not sure what the voltage was at that time. I took the cutoff key out and 6 days later when I went back the meter read full (key back in) and I had 13.4V when I used a multimeter on the battery. To me, that means that the solar charge controller fully charged the battery and is now trickle charging it.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about this and my dealer did not have the right answer when they toured it with us. They thought the fridge was powered thought the cutoff.

Happy Travels,
          Mike R
          Transend Xplor 297QB
          Chevy Express 3500 Van

Comment

mlr266

Mike

I wanted to thank you for the very informative post above. Hope you will stick around you are the type of helpful members that we rely on.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
            X