Convert change out on 17MKE for Solar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert change out on 17MKE for Solar

Hello! I been reading the forum about "Lithium + Victron + Solar Install and questions". I am in the process of getting a 17MKE and planning on use lithium battery. I only planning on boondocking less than 3 days, so one BattleBorn 100Ah will fit my needs. From what I was reading about the inverter, I should be fine, because I am having 300WT solar panel install on my 17MKE. Original they were going to using AGM batteries, and told them I wanted in 100Ah lithium. I am more concern about the converter/charger. An AGM battery use a pulse charging technique to recharge the battery, while with lithium battery should be charged at a set current level (typically from 1 to 1.5 amperes) until it reaches its final voltage. On the Battle Born site it states:

“In some cases, you might have to replace the current converter/charger that come stock in the application due voltage of 13.6 V. Some very common WFCO and Progressive Dynamics converters will rarely get to their higher volts when a lithium battery is connected.

Although these converters will charge your Battle Born Batteries (very slowly), they may never get to a 100% sta will not trigger the passive balancing effect that starts at over 14 volts”.

So how easy is to replace the WFCO on Grand Design 17MKE with the solar package or does it depend on what the dealer installed on the unit?
    Thanks!

Ziggy

zygmunt

Ziggy

I have moved your post out on its own for proper discussion , also made up a title if you wish it titled different let me know.

As far as the converter you may have a power distribution center that has an integrated converter , or you may have a stand alone converter , you will need to figure this out. I would recommend installing a stand alone converter for your set up that way you could remove or replace it much easier.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Ziggy,

According to the GDRV Parts Lookup page, the 2022 17MKE comes with a WFCO WF-8735P power distribution center. WFCO makes a replacement distribution center called the WF-8735LiS which is lithium iron phosphate compatible. It has a switch to allow for changing between lead/acid (including AGM) and lithium.

But with parts shortages in the industry, you should probably wait until delivery to see exactly what you have installed in your trailer. In addition, further investigation with WFCO should be considered to see if the existing panel can be modified at a lower cost.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

zygmunt Welcome to the family and the forum!

When you have time, the moderators have created a welcome letter to help new members navigate the forum and complete their profile to make it easier to get the help that they seek. The welcome letter can be found at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          Ziggy,

According to the GDRV Parts Lookup page, the 2022 17MKE comes with a WFCO WF-8735P power distribution center. WFCO makes a replacement distribution center called the WF-8735LiS which is lithium iron phosphate compatible. It has a switch to allow for changing between lead/acid (including AGM) and lithium.

But with parts shortages in the industry, you should probably wait until delivery to see exactly what you have installed in your trailer. In addition, further investigation with WFCO should be considered to see if the existing panel can be modified at a lower cost.

Jim
          I am awaiting an 17MKE to be delivered soon but I went through this exercise with an r-Pod and the same WFCO WF-8735P. It has a tiny converter in it and cannot be replaced unless you replace the entire power center. I added a separate battery charger from PD just for my lithium batteries. If you go that route you could mount a PD9100L series and plug it in to the outlet by the plumbing hookups. I think that is where I'm headed. I have 3 BattleBorn batteries waiting to be installed as soon as I take ownership. Love to hear from you as you progress on your adventure.
          The picture below shows the Power Center opened up. On the WF-8735P the 12 volt converter charger is the small section in the middle. There isn't a replacement module that fits in here and charges lithium batteries. The larger units have replacement modules. A solar company told me to leave it hooked up and get an additional external battery charger for the lithium batteries. I bought the PD9130L
          Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO 8735P.jpg
Views:	1038
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	52296
          Jeff House
          Soon to be owner of Imagine XLS 17MKE.
          Last edited by prahawalker; 04-29-2021, 08:16 PM. Reason: Added a picture.
          Jeff & Pam
          2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Here is a link to the manual for the WFCO 8735LiS which was not available when I did my solar in my previous trailer. It is a direct replacement of the entire power center.
            https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...-Manual-RP.pdf

Jeff
            Jeff & Pam
            2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Working...
            X