Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yoda's Victron MultiPlus and Solar Install - just hope I don't mess up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem solved
    Somehow I had the MultiPlus switch turned to "OFF". Must have bumped it when I put the shelf back. It's on "Charger" now and everything is back, looking correctly on the Touch 50. When I go back out I think I will put a piece of tape on the switch. Then I can control the inverter from the Touch 50 from inside.
    howson

Howard - On my Touch 50 I am not seeing the same screens you posted. Maybe I did not push the correct buttons in the correct order. I don't have a "settings" line under the MPPT device. I was going to do a bit of battery maintenance (water levels and specific gravity readings) and then start on documenting my setting as you suggested. Do you want me to post the pictures here or start a new thread under solar? Do you have a title suggestion if we go separate thread. Your thoughts like your post #157 might help others dial everything in once set up.

I also need to finish setting up the BMV 712 - but there are threads here on that. Just need to search and read.

I also tried to set up the WIFI. Found my network, entered password - shows 45% strength but does not show connected. I do have a VRM account set up but under VE Connect it does not show any devices either local or VRM. I guess we can cover that when I get the pictures done.

Thanks
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

• The screenshot I posted was from the VictronConnect app (on my phone) of my SmartSolar MPPT's settings. Sorry, I thought it would be self-evident.

Since you have a VRM account, there's a way you could give me temporary access to look at your settings (if it gets to that and you want me to look). If anything looks amiss it would be your call (and job) to actually make changes. Send me a PM if that's something you want to do.

Regarding a new thread...not sure that's required. The settings are a natural progression (last step?) of an install, but it's your call.

Howard

P.S. I know ncitro is traveling and not sure of bertschb's availability, but I'm tied up with a family issue. I'm trying to keep track of what's going on here as time allows but I may be offline for extended periods. If I don't respond in my normal prompt manner please understand.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

• Originally posted by Yoda View Post
        Howard - On my Touch 50 I am not seeing the same screens you posted. Maybe I did not push the correct buttons in the correct order. I don't have a "settings" line under the MPPT device.
        Hi Keith

I don't have a Touch 50 but if using the phone app, the settings menu is selected by pressing the "gear" icon as shown below. From there you can change your battery settings.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-11 at 1.46.31 PM copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.6 KB ID:	60292
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

• Originally posted by howson View Post
          The screenshot I posted was from the VictronConnect app (on my phone) of my SmartSolar MPPT's settings. Sorry, I thought it would be self-evident.

Since you have a VRM account, there's a way you could give me temporary access to look at your settings (if it gets to that and you want me to look). If anything looks amiss it would be your call (and job) to actually make changes. Send me a PM if that's something you want to do.

Regarding a new thread...not sure that's required. The settings are a natural progression (last step?) of an install, but it's your call.

Howard

P.S. I know ncitro is traveling and not sure of bertschb's availability, but I'm tied up with a family issue. I'm trying to keep track of what's going on here as time allows but I may be offline for extended periods. If I don't respond in my normal prompt manner please understand.
          DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never thought of trying my phone, I am dumb with my smart phone, so give me a day to try the app and set it up

Thanks
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

• Originally posted by bertschb View Post

Hi Keith

I don't have a Touch 50 but if using the phone app, the settings menu is selected by pressing the "gear" icon as shown below. From there you can change your battery settings.

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-11 at 1.46.31 PM copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.6 KB ID:	60292
            Thanks Brian

Ill get there somehow. App is loaded but in the house it wont connect. Need to get some food in me. I got distracted and forgot about lunch and blood sugar is low.

Later
            Keith

Comment

• Update
              App worked at trailer. It updated the BMV 712 twice. I was a bit worried, but they were mandatory updates to see the device. Everything looks good on the MPPT units - both settings the same. The 48 showing up on the MPPT 100/20 is just the shortened name on the touch 50 display.

So I think all is good for now.

I am impressed with all the information and history available. I can see that the 100/30 MPPT is doing the bulk of the work currently, but trailer is basically sitting idle.

Now to do a good clean up and repack everything - going to be fun moving things around. Time to sort through the stuff we need and what we are carrying.

Thanks again for all the help everyone. What a great place this is

Keith

Comment

• Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                Update
                App worked at trailer. It updated the BMV 712 twice. I was a bit worried, but they were mandatory updates to see the device. Everything looks good on the MPPT units - both settings the same. The 48 showing up on the MPPT 100/20 is just the shortened name on the touch 50 display.

So I think all is good for now.

I am impressed with all the information and history available. I can see that the 100/30 MPPT is doing the bulk of the work currently, but trailer is basically sitting idle.

Now to do a good clean up and repack everything - going to be fun moving things around. Time to sort through the stuff we need and what we are carrying.

Thanks again for all the help everyone. What a great place this is

Keith
                That's great! I'm glad it's going well. Yeah most of the firmware updates are mandatory, I haven't had one brick anything yet knock on wood.

My PSA to you and everyone listening is to chance the PIN number on your devices. I see a ton of Victron gear out there and most have the default name and pin number. If you don't change it anyone can change your settings and screw up your equipment.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I agree Keith!

I connected my laptop to my Multiplus II this afternoon using Victron Connect and sure enough - you can program the inverter! I know everybody else here already knew that but I had to see for myself.

I guess it's not so bad having to install Windows on my MacBook to run VE Config. I'll need it to run FORScan to update my 2022 F-450 when it arrives later this year :-)
                  I just got notification from AM Solar that they have a few Multiplus II units available. (I was on a waiting list.) I was shocked that they claim "the Multiplus series is not capable of being monitored solely via the Victron Connect App. Remote monitoring is made possible with a GX device such as the Cerbo (able to monitor via Bluetooth) or the Color Control Monitor (capable of connecting to the internet via ethernet and wifi)."

So their deal is that if I want remote monitoring/programming, I need to by the Multiplus II and the Cerbo for a total of $2875. Holy cow! Isn't there a lower cost solution? I know with my current inverter, after it's been programmed, I rarely look at the monitor display. Help!

-Steve
                  2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                  Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                  2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                  18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                  640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                  Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                  Somerset, WI

Comment

• Originally posted by steve&renee View Post
                    So their deal is that if I want remote monitoring/programming, I need to by the Multiplus II and the Cerbo for a total of $2875.
                    I think you're off by $1,000. The new Multiplus II is around $1,575 and the Cerbo GX is around $300. $1,875 total.
                    Brian & Kellie
                    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

I think you're off by $1,000. The new Multiplus II is around $1,575 and the Cerbo GX is around $300. $1,875 total.
                      Well here's the AM Solar quote:

Ln Quantity Part Number Part Description---------------------------------------------------------------Unit Price-----Extended Price
                      1 1.00 ea 99-VT3200KITCR Victron Multiplus II 3000VA Inverter Kit with Cerbo Touch 5 $ 2,825.000 2,825.00

Somerset, WI

Comment

Ln Quantity Part Number Part Description---------------------------------------------------------------Unit Price-----Extended Price
                        1 1.00 ea 99-VT3200KITCR Victron Multiplus II 3000VA Inverter Kit with Cerbo Touch 5 $ 2,825.000 2,825.00

OK, I just checked AM Solar's website. They are selling a "kit" which includes the Multiplus II, Cerbo, Touch 50 and then a bunch of wiring, cables, lugs, heat shrink, etc. So the $2,875 price isn't for just the inverter and Cerbo.

BTW, they are sold out.
                        Last edited by bertschb; 08-04-2021, 09:12 PM.
                        Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Wow that seems off for sure. I wonder if they are capitalizing on the demand for units.

All that said, you do not NEED a monitor. I would recommend it personally, there is a lot of data on it and its useful to see. It is also where you set the incoming power so power assist works. That said, you could set it up and probably operate it with no control. They also make this less expensive control. Not sure if it works with the type 2, but could be an option to get you access to the incoming power setting:

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Digit...13636358&psc=1

Neil Citro

Comment

Wow! That's quite a tidy profit. Everybody else sells those two items for $1,000 less. Does AM Solar ship it in a gold lined box?
                            Yeah. I just did a quick search. Continuous Resources sells the Multiplus II for $1571 and the Cerbo for $295. Not sure what's going on with AM Solar. I thought they were the white hat guys. I'll see if they screwed up the quote.

Seems like I remember ncitro said Victron won't honor their warranty unless you buy from approved sources. Anybody know if Continuous Resources is approved?

-Steve
                            Somerset, WI

Comment

OK, I just checked AM Solar's website. They are selling a "kit" which includes the Multiplus II, Cerbo, Touch 50 and then a bunch of wiring, cables, lugs, heat shrink, etc. So the $2,875 price isn't for just the inverter and Cerbo.

BTW, they are sold out.
                              Yeah, now I see the kit stuff. See attached. Do I need a $1000 kit?

Click image for larger version

Name:	PickList.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	62642

-Steve

Somerset, WI

Comment

Yeah, now I see the kit stuff. See attached. Do I need a $1000 kit?

Click image for larger version

Name:	PickList.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	62642

-Steve

Yeah I had bought my first from Amazon and had no warranty. Victron actually offers no end user support, they rely on the selling dealer to provide support and service, so whoever you buy it from is who you'll call with an issue.

As for the kit, if you need those parts and don't have them laying around it's probably cheaper. I bought their kit when I bought my solar controller and the math checked out then. I wouldn't be surprised if those items total well above $1,000. I just did a solar project on my in laws trailer with off brand generic parts and the switches, fuses, and other miscellaneous parts really added up.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                                X