Need Help on figuring out our Solar package -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help on figuring out our Solar package -

We received our Grand Design Momentum 320G and ordered it with the solar package. We expected it to have a display panel on the inside of the unit to monitor the system and operate it. Instead, what we got was some seemingly mismatched components that do not appear to work. Our system has some type of Blue tooth app which we are unable to connect to. To make things worse, all the operating manuals we received in our GD bag don't cover any of these components we have! When we did our walk through we couldn't even go on the roof because it wasn't allowed. No one went over the solar with us and no one explained anything about how it works and how to monitor the system. We have tried to look online for any info on this Jaboni system and can't seem to find much. We have tried calling dealerships to see if anyone knows anything about this that can help us. We have even spoken to Sean at Grand Design who told us that they reserve the right to change anything they deem suitable since they were out of the monitoring system. I just want to be able to understand my system and use it properly. Does anyone have any help?
    Last edited by howson; 05-17-2021, 05:21 PM. Reason: Moved signature to sig block for new member.
    Marianne and Dave
    Grand Design 2021 Momentum 320G Fifth Wheel
    2021 Chevy Silverado 3500 LTZ

Originally posted by kernel View Post
    I just want to be able to understand my system and use it properly. Does anyone have any help?
    Hi Marianne and Dave,
    Can you take pictures of the components that make up your system and post them here? I'm sure we can figure it out from there--but first need to know what you have.

Side note: your roof comment brings back memories. I didn't ask if I could go on the roof--I waited until the PDI guy turned his back and up the ladder I went. By the time they discovered I was up there it was too late to tell me I couldn't.

Howard

P.S. Welcome to the forum! Check out the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members I'll move your signature to the actual signature block for you after I post this. (You at least tried!)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I'm familiar with many of the solar components GDRV uses. If you can post photos like Howard suggested, or at least give model numbers, we should be able to figure it out.

Regarding the swapping of components: Unfortunately, there is a lot of that going on due to severe parts shortages all the manufacturers are experiencing. Sometimes, they'll have dozens or hundreds of rigs parked outside while they wait on one component to arrive.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by kernel View Post
        We received our Grand Design Momentum 320G and ordered it with the solar package. We expected it to have a display panel on the inside of the unit to monitor the system and operate it. Instead, what we got was some seemingly mismatched components that do not appear to work. Our system has some type of Blue tooth app which we are unable to connect to. To make things worse, all the operating manuals we received in our GD bag don't cover any of these components we have! When we did our walk through we couldn't even go on the roof because it wasn't allowed. No one went over the solar with us and no one explained anything about how it works and how to monitor the system. We have tried to look online for any info on this Jaboni system and can't seem to find much. We have tried calling dealerships to see if anyone knows anything about this that can help us. We have even spoken to Sean at Grand Design who told us that they reserve the right to change anything they deem suitable since they were out of the monitoring system. I just want to be able to understand my system and use it properly. Does anyone have any help?
        Funny you ask this here. I posted this on the other forum, for the same reason...

Good evening all,

Working our way through our new Solitude. We ordered with factory solar. During our "orientation", that was essentially useless, we received ZERO info on the solar system. Reviewing posts here, most are indicating a remote display for status and programming. I am unable to locate said display. What we do have is the BT-2 bluetooth module to use on an app.

Does this seem legit?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge sent our way!

Kim

P.S. I am able to connect via bluetooth, but does not seem the optimum method.
        Kim & Deb
        2021 Solitude 310 GK-R, delivered 5/3/21
        20k Goosebox, Factory solar, 5.5 kw gen, disk brakes.
        2020 GMC 3500HD DRW SLT

Comment

Originally posted by Kim S. View Post

Funny you ask this here. I posted this on the other forum, for the same reason...

Good evening all,

Working our way through our new Solitude. We ordered with factory solar. During our "orientation", that was essentially useless, we received ZERO info on the solar system. Reviewing posts here, most are indicating a remote display for status and programming. I am unable to locate said display. What we do have is the BT-2 bluetooth module to use on an app.

Does this seem legit?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge sent our way!

Kim

P.S. I am able to connect via bluetooth, but does not seem the optimum method.
          Connect to what controller is the question.

Scanning the Parts Lookup website (link on menu above) it could be Renogy's BT-2 module that's bluetooth. It's not a Jaboni controller--at least none of their website info has any mention of bluetooth capability.

The Renogy website is here: https://www.renogy.com/bt-2-bluetooth-module/ Look closely and there's a link for the app.

According to the video on the website, and if it really is the BT-2 module you're connecting to, the solar controller is one of these devices:

Click image for larger version

Name:	devices.JPG
Views:	2156
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	54117

Here's the video:

Personal opinion...if you have Renogy equipment (vs the previous Jaboni) it's an upgrade. I have Renogy solar panels on my trailer and also their DC-DC Charger and have had very good success with the products. (All bought myself.)

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Just to add to this.... if it is in fact Renogy (which it sounds like it is), Renogy does offer a plug and play Remote Monitor (for their Rover Elite controllers) if you would rather not use the BT/app. This monitor would plug in to the same port on the charge controller as the BT-2 dongle, so looks like you would have to choose one or the other.

https://www.renogy.com/monitoring-sc...-elite-series/

Ken & Sandra
            2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

The BT-2 is connected to a Jaboni charge controller. Just seems odd that there is not actual remote display, that I MUST use a device via bluetooth to connect, adjust and monitor. BTW, the BT-2 does work, I can communicate and monitor, just not what the solar package shows.

Kim
              Kim & Deb
              2020 GMC 3500HD DRW SLT

Comment

The BT-2 is connected to a Jaboni charge controller. Just seems odd that there is not actual remote display, that I MUST use a device via bluetooth to connect, adjust and monitor. BTW, the BT-2 does work, I can communicate and monitor, just not what the solar package shows.

Kim
                That is very interesting. I can only speculate that the optional display was not available so GD substituted the bluetooth option. I wasn't aware this was even possible and by what I can see online it's not! Can you (please) take a picture of your setup and post it? Obviously yours is the first of its kind (that's been documented on this forum).

Here's what I can see online--the two are not compatible. So something has changed! (Not surprising.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Controllers.JPG
Views:	2143
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	54194

What app are you using to control the Jaboni?

I know you came here for help and it's now you that's supplying us with the information...so definitely appreciate any info you can share with the community.

Howard

Comment

Here is what I have in the front bay.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6967.PNG Views:	0 Size:	206.8 KB ID:	54242Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6968.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	148.2 KB ID:	54243Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6958.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	110.9 KB ID:	54244
                  Kim & Deb
                  2020 GMC 3500HD DRW SLT

Comment

Here is what I have in the front bay.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_6967.PNG Views:	0 Size:	206.8 KB ID:	54242Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_6968.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	148.2 KB ID:	54243Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_6958.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	110.9 KB ID:	54244
                    Found it! https://www.azimuthsolar.ca/product/...roller-mc2430/

This is a re-badged "MC Series" controller, it is not a Jaboni. I could not figure out who actually makes the controller.

The good news is you can buy a display and replace the BT-2!

Manual is attached for your convenience (also available for download on the website).

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Found it! https://www.azimuthsolar.ca/product/...roller-mc2430/

This is a re-badged "MC Series" controller, it is not a Jaboni. I could not figure out who actually makes the controller.

The good news is you can buy a display and replace the BT-2!

Manual is attached for your convenience (also available for download on the website).

This is the exact setup we have and the reason I started this thread. We were under the assumption that we would get what we paid for - some sort of remote in the unit. We contacted Grand Design and spoke to Sean from customer service. He did a little investigating and told us that around the time our unit was built sometime in the end of March - they made a change in the system and they were no longer coming with a remote way to operate the system inside the coach, but instead operated off of an app via bluetooth. Sean also told us that even if we wanted Grand Design to provide us with a remote, like what we thought we had paid for, he said that the products that we had in our coach would not accept a remote unit and only functions off of blue tooth. Of course our next question is - what if you don't have a smartphone? Sean had no answer for this, of course.

There has been NO literature or documentation provided in the info we received with our unit or online covering this. Our info we received has literature on components we did not get, due to the "change."

We are very unhappy and disappointed with the customer service at Grand Design and the fact that no one has followed up with us. We are left to just figure it out. We asked Sean to provide literature on the solar products we have and we have heard crickets.

Marianne and Dave
                      Grand Design 2021 Momentum 320G Fifth Wheel
                      2021 Chevy Silverado 3500 LTZ

Comment

Grand Design (and other RV manufacturers) frequently change components for a variety of reasons. Some of these reasons may be parts shortages, obsolescence, cost, functionality improvements, etc. We as consumers have little say when it comes to these changes other than to refuse delivery of the RV upon delivery if it doesn't meet our requirements. GDRV sells to a large spectrum of purchasers and they try to deliver products that meet the needs of most of their customers. Many customers would consider a blue tooth display option a significant upgrade. But I realize this doesn't fit your needs if you don't own a smart phone or tablet with Blue Tooth App technology.

As I stated in post #3, if you'll provide a list of the model numbers of the products installed in your specific coach, we'll try to located the owner's manuals for you. Howard howson provided you with a link to the MPPT controller owner's manual in post #10. What other documentation do you need?

Jim​​​​​​​
                        Jim and Ginnie
                        2024 Solitude 310GK
                        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I just picked up my new 320G last week with the solar package, and found out I have this new bluetooth system. None of the provided manuals have this new system, and talking to the dealer, he said that according to GD, they do not have any manuals for the new system, which doesn't make any sense. I was able to figure out the system, but much rather have a display, not have to go to my phone to see what is happening, and will be looking at buying the display someone found here (thanks!). The video's above, does show the correct system installed, under the Jaboni name. All the manuals I could find online where of the previous system, this includes on the Jaboni site.

The most confusing part of getting the system to work, is once you download the app (look under Jaboni), you do not pair the phone to the BT-2, it will not work. With the app running, you will see the BT-2 in the app, and need to pick it. Everything will work after that.

Guess I got spoiled, as my last trailer with a factory installed solar, had the display inside the trailer.

Of course my trailer is headed back to the dealer, as the solar panels are putting out power, but there is no voltage from the solar panel wires at the solar controller box. Something in between the panel and box ain't right.
                          2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
                          2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

Due to supply problems GD has had to make changes to items installed. There has been a change to a different Solar Charge Controller that does NOT have a separate remote display.

There have been many changes like this that has happened throughout the past year so it is hard to keep up with what has changed and what is advertised , this is all happening through the whole industry as well as other things that I am sure all see during their daily lives.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Wileykid View Post
                              I just picked up my new 320G last week with the solar package, and found out I have this new bluetooth system. None of the provided manuals have this new system, and talking to the dealer, he said that according to GD, they do not have any manuals for the new system, which doesn't make any sense. I was able to figure out the system, but much rather have a display, not have to go to my phone to see what is happening, and will be looking at buying the display someone found here (thanks!). The video's above, does show the correct system installed, under the Jaboni name. All the manuals I could find online where of the previous system, this includes on the Jaboni site.

The most confusing part of getting the system to work, is once you download the app (look under Jaboni), you do not pair the phone to the BT-2, it will not work. With the app running, you will see the BT-2 in the app, and need to pick it. Everything will work after that.

Guess I got spoiled, as my last trailer with a factory installed solar, had the display inside the trailer.

Of course my trailer is headed back to the dealer, as the solar panels are putting out power, but there is no voltage from the solar panel wires at the solar controller box. Something in between the panel and box ain't right.
                              Check your wiring on the bottom of the charge controller. I had a wire unhooked. Power to the controller, but batteries were low and zero output. Reinstalled wire, system functioning, for now.

Kim
                              Kim & Deb
                              2020 GMC 3500HD DRW SLT

Comment

Working...
                              X