Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar Installation - Looking for input on our mounting solution!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Installation - Looking for input on our mounting solution!

We're in the process of installing RICH SOLAR M200D solar panels on our Solitude 380FL and after much research we decided to go with RICH SOLAR 28" RV Tilt Mounts because they made the most sense for what we wanted. The only obstacle we've hit is trying to install these straight-edge brackets on the rounded roof. As you can see in the photos, there is about 1/4 inch lift on the left side because of the curve in the roof. We are planning to mount the brackets with 6-8 screws starting from the right side and moving left until the point where my finger is in the photo, leaving the remainder of the bracket alone to avoid any "pull" in the roof.

Aside from not being aesthetically pleasing, is there any reason this WON'T work? Our thought is that the mounts and panels will still be secure and will not sit any higher than the equipment that is already up there (AC units, vents, etc). Your input about why this mounting solution will not work is appreciated. Just want to make sure we aren't thinking too simply about this.

- Kim
    Attached Files

The big concern, structurally, will be uplift on the panels from wind. Both when traveling and when set up.

When traveling, are the panels secured at the ends of the mounting frame? This could produce a cantilevered load on the screws holding the partially secured base down, and pull them out. Once the first screw is pulled loose a zipper effect can occur and all the screws get pulled out.

When set up, will the base of the support arm be setting on the unsecured portion of the base frame or the secured portion? If the unsecured, the same cantilever action can occur, but with a shorter lever length. If the secured portion, there could still be problems with the lack of anchors up slope of the support arm base.

My first step would be to contact Rich Solar and see what they recommend. I doubt this is the first time this question has come up. If Rich Solar doesn't have an answer, I would most likely look at using spacers (stacked washers come to mind) and increasing the screw lengths to fully secure the base. But this is all supposition on my part as I have no actual experience with this situation
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

I have the same problem with our 2600RB. 26" panel brackets appear to have 3/4" gap toward top of the roof. I was thinking alum. blocks but also have some HDPE scraps from a garage wall liner job in 1/2" and 1/4" thickness. I was wondering if the Dicor sealant will stick to it and seal.
      Phil

Comment

RidinTheBreeze not knowing any better than what I can see on our factory installed solar panel, it seems that you are missing mounting brackets. Our factory solar uses (for lack of a better term) L brackets to interface between the roof and the panel. You might try the parts lookup, select 2021 Solitude and any floorplan, and all of the (factory) solar panel components will be there somewhere.
        Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
        2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
        2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
        2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
        Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

On my 375 Res. Same panels as you are installing plus tilt brackets. The 380 and 375 have same.roof profile. I installed the brackets and panels onto of uni-struts. You can buy these at any big box hardware store.
          Gary F
          2020 Solitude 375RES-R
          2019 Ford Super Duty diesel Dually

Comment

Working...
          X