Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fastening Solar Panels - Stripping Holes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastening Solar Panels - Stripping Holes?

Hi all,

I started installing my1600w of panels on my 380FL today and stopped after driving 3 screws. It seems like the hardware isn't "biting" like it should. Basically, I can't seem to get the screws tight, so I'm concerned it's just stripping the hole.

Install process:
    • Drill 1/8" pilot hole
      • Pilot hole guides call for 3/32 for soft wood and 3/16 for hardwood. OSB is manmade and a combination of both, so I did some tests 3/32 was definitely a bit small and I felt like 3/16 was a little big. So I went with 1/8 as a happy medium.
    • Dicor in and around pilot hole.
    • Seat 1/4" lag bolt - This is where I'm getting concerned about stripping. Do I need to ditch these bolts and get something with different threads? Different size?
    • Seal the entire area with Dicor, including the screw.

Hardware:
    Mounts/panels:
    Thanks in advance all. I am documenting the solar install on video, as well as several other mods, including a dishwasher addition to our 380FL. I will share everything as soon as I can get all of the projects done.

Cheers,
    Brian
    Last edited by B380; 06-09-2021, 11:37 PM.

If you are using a drill/driver I would have it set to the lowest clutch setting and then hand tighten to get the feel of tight. With the 1/4 lag screws these may be enlarging the hole too much from the 1/8" pilot hole you are drilling. The roof sheeting is only 3/8" thick so the screws will go all the way thru and get a good bite in the material. I would also position the panels such that you will hit a roof truss. The mention in your other post to use the unistrut placed front to back on the roof will ensure that there is connection to the roof truss might be the better way to go.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

B380

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

The lag bolts that you have selected should certainly work for this application, but because of the hex bolt head, you may be driving them with too much torque. the 1/8" pilot hole should be fine in OSB, but the fresh dicor is going to act as a lubricant causing very little resistance to driving the bolt. If the bolt proceeds into the hole an even amount on each turn, it is following its threads and not stripping. I would definitely hand install these, probably with a hand nut driver (like a screwdriver) or a very short wrench and not use a power driver.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

B380 Welcome to the family and the forum!

Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
        X