2021 Imagine 17MKE Solar Prep Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Imagine 17MKE Solar Prep Wiring

I am in the beginnings of installing solar on this rig.
    • Solar Prep port with MC4 connecters on the roof. (Where do these go?)
    • Two 10 AWG x 2 conductor cables in the storage marked "Solar/Inv".
    • I checked both for voltage. Neither had any.
    • I connected a cable to the roof MC4 cables and tied them together and checked for continuity. None.
    I have found the following.
    • One 10 AWG cable of this type is connected to the battery fuse under the front chassis.
    • Two 10 AWG cables terminate at the power converter and run into the WFCO 8735.
    • The TPMS prep has 12 volt.
    Any thoughts. I realize this may already have a thread.
    Thank you
    Last edited by prahawalker; 06-10-2021, 03:30 PM.
    Jeff & Pam
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

UPDATE:
    I connected a telecom inductance toner to the MC4 connecters and found one cable in the storage bay. Still don't know where the other one goes. No voltage on it either. BTW, I checked behind the converter and neither of the two connected 10 AWG cables had a tone on it.
    Jeff & Pam
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

I just went through the same investigation on my 22MLE and initially couldn't identify which solar prep wire pair went to the roof and which pair went to the battery. If you have crimped wire connectors on the ends of the solar prep cables did you cut them off? I had tried sticking my meter probes into the crimped connectors but couldn't get any readings, once I cut the ends off all was good, the crimped ends were crimped over the insulation.
      Tom L
      2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
      2021 F150 Powerboost

Comment

Originally posted by tkljr View Post
        I just went through the same investigation on my 22MLE and initially couldn't identify which solar prep wire pair went to the roof and which pair went to the battery. If you have crimped wire connectors on the ends of the solar prep cables did you cut them off? I had tried sticking my meter probes into the crimped connectors but couldn't get any readings, once I cut the ends off all was good, the crimped ends were crimped over the insulation.
        Interesting point. I did locate them using an inductance toner but I guess that is for their liability.
        I'll cut them and see if I get real readings. Did you upgrade the gauge wire going to the trailer. Seems like 10 gauge is a little small.
        Jeff & Pam
        2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Jeff and Pam; I too own a new 17MKE and found myself in the same conundrum. I removed most of the sheet insulation under the trailer and found that one of the "solar" wires runs to the fuse panel/converter, though it continues along the back of the trailer and ends somewhere under the heater! I will chase it down and put tone on it in order to determine its origin and reply. Will do the same with the roof outlet. Very puzzling about the lack of more formalized schematics.

cracicot 17MKE. 2021 Silverado 3.0 Duramax

Comment

Timely discussion as I'm just starting the solar install on my new 17MKE as well. I haven't gotten as far as testing the provided cables yet. I started today with prepping my panels for mounting and installed a pair of LION lithium batteries in the existing battery boxes. I will likely move the batteries into the trailer where there is apparently lots of room under the front couch.

I am also installing a 2000 watt inverter and did some testing to check on the power center setup only to find that the converter, which I will need to shut off when I turn on my inverter, is wired to the GFI breaker so that's going to have to be changed.

I will be interested in how you guys set yours up. Mine will be very simple for now and, when I can figure out shutting down the converter issue, I will just plug my trailer power cord into my inverter.
            Paul and Deb Cervone
            2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
            2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
            2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Paul & Deb View Post
              Timely discussion as I'm just starting the solar install on my new 17MKE as well. I haven't gotten as far as testing the provided cables yet. I started today with prepping my panels for mounting and installed a pair of LION lithium batteries in the existing battery boxes. I will likely move the batteries into the trailer where there is apparently lots of room under the front couch.

I am also installing a 2000 watt inverter and did some testing to check on the power center setup only to find that the converter, which I will need to shut off when I turn on my inverter, is wired to the GFI breaker so that's going to have to be changed.

I will be interested in how you guys set yours up. Mine will be very simple for now and, when I can figure out shutting down the converter issue, I will just plug my trailer power cord into my inverter.
              My old system had the same WFCO power plant but there was a different configuration. Separate breakers for plugs and converter. This does make it a pain. Are you hard wiring your inverter into the power center? I took apart the WFCO 8735 in my old trailer and it was hard wired into the system. Larger models have an option to change out the converter assembly. I'll include a picture of the dismantled WFCO as well as my lithium batteries and charger under the Murphy bed.

WFCO 8735P w/ cover off.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO 8735P.jpg
Views:	2633
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	57609

Lithium under Murphy bed in 17MKE.

Name:	Lithium and lithium charger.jpg
Views:	2273
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	57610
              Jeff & Pam
              2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Originally posted by prahawalker View Post

My old system had the same WFCO power plant but there was a different configuration. Separate breakers for plugs and converter. This does make it a pain. Are you hard wiring your inverter into the power center? I took apart the WFCO 8735 in my old trailer and it was hard wired into the system. Larger models have an option to change out the converter assembly. I'll include a picture of the dismantled WFCO as well as my lithium batteries and charger under the Murphy bed.
                Eventually I will have a manual transfer switch between the inverter and the power center but until then I intend to control "who's feeding the power" by merely plugging the trailer's power cord into the inverter and ensuring the converter is off. So batteries to inverter and trailer plug to inverter. I'm limited on setup time with a boondocking trip coming up in a couple months and lots of other things going on in between.

I also intend to swap out the WFCO 8735 with a WFCO 8735 LiS to properly charge the lithiums. In the meantime I will just count on the solar/controller to keep the batteries full.

What is your approach to charging the lithiums?
                Paul and Deb Cervone
                2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Eventually I will have a manual transfer switch between the inverter and the power center but until then I intend to control "who's feeding the power" by merely plugging the trailer's power cord into the inverter and ensuring the converter is off. So batteries to inverter and trailer plug to inverter. I'm limited on setup time with a boondocking trip coming up in a couple months and lots of other things going on in between.

I also intend to swap out the WFCO 8735 with a WFCO 8735 LiS to properly charge the lithiums. In the meantime I will just count on the solar/controller to keep the batteries full.

What is your approach to charging the lithiums?
                  I bought a Progressive Dynamics 30 amp stand alone Lithium charger. I had the option in my prior trailer to turn the converter off and I fed it though a plug. With GD configuration both the plugs and converter are on the same circuit breaker. I haven't gotten into specifics yet but may start with just a single plug to power an appliance until I can tear into the power center. If you turn the converter off won't that kill the power to the plugs? Otherwise I can see your example of plugging the shore power into the inverter.
                  Jeff & Pam
                  2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

I bought a Progressive Dynamics 30 amp stand alone Lithium charger. I had the option in my prior trailer to turn the converter off and I fed it though a plug. With GD configuration both the plugs and converter are on the same circuit breaker. I haven't gotten into specifics yet but may start with just a single plug to power an appliance until I can tear into the power center. If you turn the converter off won't that kill the power to the plugs? Otherwise I can see your example of plugging the shore power into the inverter.
                    Well I just finished rewiring the power center and moved the hot for the converter, which was piggy backed to a breaker with the GFIs, to piggy back with the W/H. Now it's a simple matter of shutting off the W/H breaker which you would never want to use off the inverter anyway. Both breakers were 15 amp breakers so it shouldn't have any negative effects at all. According to my source at the factory, there is no set way the technicians have to wire these things so some have reported their converter was already on the same breaker with the W/H! Go figure.

It would be very cool to say nothing of the labor and cost savings if one could just disconnect the WFCO built in converter on the 8735 and add a progressive 30 amp lithium ready converter. I would have no real idea how to wire it in but I would think it to be fairly simple one you know where the power from the converter comes into the 8735. On my 50 amp trailer, like you said, it was simply a matter of unplugging the converter from the back of the power center and plugging the new one in.

Onto the next step of mounting my panels on the roof.
                    Paul and Deb Cervone
                    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Well I just finished rewiring the power center and moved the hot for the converter, which was piggy backed to a breaker with the GFIs, to piggy back with the W/H. Now it's a simple matter of shutting off the W/H breaker which you would never want to use off the inverter anyway. Both breakers were 15 amp breakers so it shouldn't have any negative effects at all. According to my source at the factory, there is no set way the technicians have to wire these things so some have reported their converter was already on the same breaker with the W/H! Go figure.

It would be very cool to say nothing of the labor and cost savings if one could just disconnect the WFCO built in converter on the 8735 and add a progressive 30 amp lithium ready converter. I would have no real idea how to wire it in but I would think it to be fairly simple one you know where the power from the converter comes into the 8735. On my 50 amp trailer, like you said, it was simply a matter of unplugging the converter from the back of the power center and plugging the new one in.

Onto the next step of mounting my panels on the roof.
                      Could you show some detail on what wires you moved?
                      Thank you.

I'll send pictures soon of my setup in the storage area.
                      Jeff & Pam
                      2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Just finished my conversion from the dealer provided lead acid battery to lithium. 300 Ah lithium, Victron 100/30 MPPT controller, Victron Power-In w/ fuses as a bus bar, BMV 712 battery monitor and a 2000 watt inverter. The inverter is not connected into the system yet. One project at a time.
                        I have two circuit breakers coming in from the solar. The first will be my portable setup and the second will be from the roof. Those are for another time as I have 400 watts portable to start with.

Name:	IMG_20210618_115112.jpg
Views:	2292
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	58004
                        Jeff & Pam
                        2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Could you show some detail on what wires you moved?
                          Thank you.

I'll send pictures soon of my setup in the storage area.
                          Dang, I knew I should have taken more pictures but I didn't. Once you remove the panel cover it becomes quite clear. You will see a black wire coming from the converter, which is the center of the power center. It has a tip that includes the wire from the converter with another short section of black wire joined on. That short wire is only a couple inches long and it is connected to whatever wire, the wire GFI in my case, via a wire nut. All I did was pull that converter wire out of the GFI breaker, disconnect the wire nut, put the GFI wire, now all by itself, back into that breaker. Then I pulled the W/H wire out of it's breaker and connected it to the converter wire using the wire nut and then put that combined wire back into the W/H breaker. Badda bing, badda boom.

I was also busy this weekend, I got my lithium batteries out of the battery boxes and relocated inside the trailer under the front couch. I mounted my bus bars and BMV shunt in the same area. I mounted my inverter and solar controller in the pass through. I mounted my inverter remote switch and my BMV-712. Got everything wired up and tested and it works perfect. I need to do some minor wire management but essentially I have a heavy gauge 15 amp extension cord that I keep plugged in to the inverter and will coil up in the pass through. When we are dry camping I merely drop that down the water port and run it to the rear of the trailer and plug it in. When needed, I just shut off the W/H breaker, switch on the inverter and I have full 110 throughout the trailer.

I will start mounting my roof panels today but I'm waiting on a couple connectors and more lap sealant to finish it up.

Paul and Deb Cervone
                          2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                          2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Looking good so far!
                            2020 Imagine 2400BH
                            2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

I finished my system today and it's all working great. I'm so jazzed it's done.

In line with the original discussion on determining which set of wires were from the roof for the panels and which set were for the Inverter, I found one set had a constant 13.7 volts and the other set had zero. I was a little baffled by that but after I got my panels installed and plugged in on the roof I got my meter and found the set that had been measuring zero now measured about 80 volts, I have 4 - 20 volt panels so that checked out.

I'm a little distressed that the other set is sitting in there powered so I tried to find where the heck they were run to and connected but couldn't. I cut the poorly capped ends off the wires and crimped on new butt ends but it still bothers me that they're hot!

A couple final pictures.

Paul and Deb Cervone
                              2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                              2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X