Smoke detector for front bay solar equipment / MultiPlus instalation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke detector for front bay solar equipment / MultiPlus instalation

Went searching today for a 12V hard wired smoke detector for my front equipment bay. Was looking for a dual sensor (ionization and photovoltaic) so wire smoke would be caught. If I understand correctly Ionization needs flame.

However I could not find hard wired 12V - only 120V. But there are plenty of 9V battery stand alone units. Ratings vary with some photovoltaic models having false alarm issues.

What I am up to is. I want to mount a detector in the front bay ceiling where all my solar equipment and Multiplus is.

Has anyone done this and what alarm did you use?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Keith, I installed a 9V (ion/photo) unit with a ten year battery in mine.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B011O2...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Interior set up labeled.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	57054
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Thanks! I hadn't thought of this and just added one to my Amazon cart.

Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
        Thanks! I hadn't thought of this and just added one to my Amazon cart.
        I did the same!
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Interior set up labeled.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	57054
          Thinks Jim
          Any issues with false alarms reported in the ratings? I was wondering as its open more to the environment.

Appreciate the link
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith.

It's never gone off in the two years it's been in there. I'm happy with it.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Yoda
              Hi Keith,

I have these "10 year battery" smoke detectors in several locations. Behind the fridge, beside the water heater & furnace, in the pass through storage and behind the fireplace. Cheap insurance. No false alarms so far.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Folks

Comment

TucsonJim , Cate&Rob

Have you guys tested these to see if they actually work or test once a year? Just curious as I test the ones inside the RV as well as the house on occasion.

​​​​​​​Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                    TucsonJim , Cate&Rob

Have you guys tested these to see if they actually work or test once a year? Just curious as I test the ones inside the RV as well as the house on occasion.

Brian
                    I push the “test” button once in a while and the alarm sounds (much to the dislike of Molly & Angel). Whether smoke would set off the alarm is unknown . . . probably something that I should test.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I test all alarms the day before we depart for a trip. Ginnie needs to take the dogs to the far side of the house and turn on loud music so they don't freak out.

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

I have not done it....but I would be tempted to just do something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077LVMGJ4...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Granted it's messy...but if your smoke detector goes off....if you are there maybe you can turn stuff off quick....if it is already on fire....you will probably grab your fire extinguisher and make a mess anyway?

Let me know what you think.
                        2020 Imagine 2400BH
                        2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post
                          I have not done it....but I would be tempted to just do something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077LVMGJ4...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Granted it's messy...but if your smoke detector goes off....if you are there maybe you can turn stuff off quick....if it is already on fire....you will probably grab your fire extinguisher and make a mess anyway?

Let me know what you think.
                          Yes sir. I have one installed right next to my smoke detector. It is basically an M-80 firecracker placed inside fire retardant powder. If the fuse ignites, it will make one heck of a pop and mess, but may very well save your rig.

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Yes sir. I have one installed right next to my smoke detector. It is basically an M-80 firecracker placed inside fire retardant powder. If the fuse ignites, it will make one heck of a pop and mess, but may very well save your rig.

Jim
                            It only goes off in the event of actual fire though correct? IE it will not go off with smoke only?
                            2020 Imagine 2400BH
                            2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post

It only goes off in the event of actual fire though correct? IE it will not go off with smoke only?
                              That is correct. The fuse needs to ignite.
                              Jim and Ginnie
                              2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Working...
                              X