Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resistance between Hot and Neutral MultiPlus 3000/12/120 when totally off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resistance between Hot and Neutral MultiPlus 3000/12/120 when totally off?

OK a puzzle

Before connecting up to the distribution panel I decided to check my wiring for shorts. I wanted to be sure everything was good as i had a tough time getting the 8awg into the lug ports on the MultiPlus. To my surprise I had resistance between the Hot and Neutral wires on both in and out 120V AC lines. Hot and Ground and Neutral and ground were good. I went back to the MultiPlus and pulled the neutral wires and then checked the terminal block on the MultiPlus.. Again there was resistance between the Hot and Neutral connections internally. So it appears to be internal to the MultiPlus unit. Is this normal? Everything is off - no power, not even 12V connected. I remember reading about it doing something with the neutral bond during operation.

I have also called Continousresources and hope to hear back soon.

BTW - is there a trick to keeping the wire strands in line when inserting into the terminal blocks. I even tried soldering (big fail) .

Thanks
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

I have no idea, Keith, regarding the Multiplus. I'll be interested in reading what you find out.

For the wire strands a ferrule can sometimes help out. The crimper you have (which I also bought) has an adapter for ferrules...though I haven't had the greatest success to be completely honest with using ferrules. Obviously the pic below is just an example--you'd have to find the appropriate size for the work you're doing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferrule.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	57745
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Keith, I have taken a ring terminal, crimped it to the strands, then clipped the ring off. Then file the end of the assembly and solder.

Howard, Ferrules are at thing I have not got into. Our guys at work use them, but the crimpers they use are $1200 a set.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

I solved the problem by switching to 10 awg cable

Continuous Resources did get back to me, but did not have an answer. When I asked if he could check one of the units they were installing he seemed reluctant to do so as they were slammed with work. His suggestion was to wire it up and turn it on as it was fully protected. He did say that battery power must be on first. I don't remember reading that in the manual, but I will make sure I do.
        Last edited by Yoda; 06-17-2021, 04:53 PM.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

It wouldn’t be unusual to measure resistance between hot an neutral. Transformers are a common load that is connected across the power feed.
          John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            For the wire strands a ferrule can sometimes help out.
            I used ferrules on my install and they worked great. I bought a dedicated crimper and it was very easy to use with good results - and it wasn't $1,200! I think it was under $100?
            Brian & Kellie
            2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
            2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
            2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
            2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Brian, when you are making 100 or so connections a day on a piece of equipment that cost $2M US plus, it pays to have those kinds of tools. For you or me, $100 or less is acceptable.

I think they said there was 5 km of cable in the 4m X 3m piece of equipment. I have seen the inside the connector box and it is intense. Probably 1,000 or more connections in the "brain box" which means there are that many outside to all the sensors and other things.
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

[QUOTE=howson;n57744...though I haven't had the greatest success to be completely honest with using ferrules. ...
                [/QUOTE]

The first part of this video makes a good case for not using a crimping tool when using set-screw connections with ferrules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMFFzpzKhFg

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                  Brian, when you are making 100 or so connections a day on a piece of equipment that cost $2M US plus, it pays to have those kinds of tools. For you or me, $100 or less is acceptable.
                  Oh, I totally agree! The ferrule crimping tool I bought worked fine for my needs on my cheap solar system - although the ferrules did get stuck in the tool occasionally which was a pain. That wouldn't be tolerated if I used that tool for work every day.
                  Brian & Kellie
                  2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                  2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                  2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                  2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

The one they had was from Europe and similar to https://www.newark.com/weidmuller/14...ure-Connectors The crimps were hex shaped and the wiring he was doing I would call AWG26 (0.18 metric) or smaller. He was pretty good as we were talking about something as he was doing a 12 pin or more connector and never missed part of the conversation or crimps. He put all of the ferrules on first then crimped each one, then tugged each one as a check.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Yoda Keith, since there is probably relays and transformers inside the Multi-plus, when you try to ring through it there will be some conductance as stated by John.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                        Yoda Keith, since there is probably relays and transformers inside the Multi-plus, when you try to ring through it there will be some conductance as stated by John.
                        Thanks
                        Ill go ahead and get things wired up then. Waiting on a new plug.

Comment

Working...
                        X