Transcend Furrion Solar Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcend Furrion Solar Controller

In the GD manual and online, it says that when not using solar (hooked to shore power / generator) the Furrion MPPT Solar Controller "should" be turned off. Im going to be changing my batteries and have heard or read, turn off the solar controller as to not scramble or need to reset it...... Thats great but how do I turn it off? Is the BUS Terminator switch the on/off? I pushed the battery select button and no lights changed as the LED for sealed batteries was still illuminated regardless whether the BUS Terminator switch was on or off......?

Thanks in advance
    Michael & Lisa & Mako the Dutch Shepherd
    Southeast Valley, AZ

Current - 2021 GD Transcend Xplor 245RL
    Former - 2018 Heartland Sundance 221RB

Current - 2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax 6.6L SLT
    Former - 2010 Toyota Tundra DC TRD Rock Warrior 5.7 4x4 Tow Package (10,300)

alrighty then, guess its a call to GD
    Southeast Valley, AZ

Comment

Michael, I see you haven't had any responses and didn't want you to feel we're ignoring you. But the solar set up you have is really new to the GDRV product line. Very few members have it and can weigh in on it. Part of this forum is the collaborative learning that we acquire. A call to GDRV sounds like a good plan. I hope you'll share the answers with us all so we will be equipped to answer the next time the question comes up.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

No worries, I hear ya, its probably more like a call to Furrion. I don't know why they build a solar system (which is good thing) without a simple switch to break the circuit from the panels to the controller. Or a ""battery cut off switch" that doesn't do what its named to do. Thanks for the holler back !
        Last edited by Retired-5-Oh's; 06-20-2021, 06:00 PM.
        Southeast Valley, AZ

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1717.JPG
Views:	3454
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	58106Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1718.JPG
Views:	3450
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	58105 Sorry, I've been waiting for someone more knowledgeable to answer this. I've looked at mine, which is mounted on the ceiling by the Water hook-up and battery switch. Unless there are switches mounted behind that panel, the only way to disconnect power would be to remove the wires from the controller itself. The only switch I saw was the Bus terminal switch on the controller.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 3.56.31 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	209.0 KB ID:	58103
          John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
          2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
          ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
          2017 Jayco 26BH
          2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Thanks Jim and J&J, I spoke to GD yesterday regarding the solar controller. Basically as far as turning it "off" when disconnecting the batteries or even when on shore power, the Furrion MPPT is smarter than me. When disconnecting the batteries (which I did yesterday to dump the single Interstate 12v and install two 6v GC2) the solar charger stops receiving power from the batteries, which it needs to do its thing from the panels. Thus, the energy from the panels goes nowhere with no damage to the setup. When on shore power, there's no need to worry about anything regarding the solar.

GD requested a picture of the Furrion controller because the they couldn't tell me what the bus terminator switch was for. J&J, I sent the same picture but mine was upside down HA (no word back yet)

Ran the DC fridge all night and the battery setup was still fully charged according to the semi useless control panel. Today the inverter goes in.

Southeast Valley, AZ

Comment

Please let me know what that Bus terminator does when you find out. I took pictures of the area behind the control panel. Not much to see there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1722.JPG
Views:	3278
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	58308Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1723.JPG
Views:	3225
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	58309
              John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
              2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
              ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
              2017 Jayco 26BH
              2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Originally posted by J & J Bumblebee View Post
                Please let me know what that Bus terminator does when you find out.
                Per the Furrion manual,
                Furrion MPPT charge controller with RV-C communication bus interface and RV-C CAN bus communication protocol is available to meet the communication requirements in RV.

What that means in layman terms is different components that use the RV-C CAN protocol (a language) to talk to each other can be connected through the Furrion's interface. I'm not sure (doubt it) if RV-C is the same as the protocol used in the CompassConnect systems. Since GD is not interfacing the component and I've never seen (in any presentation regardless of manufacturer) a OneControl connected to a Furrion solar controller, I'd bet they are different.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Retired-5-Oh's View Post
                  No worries, I hear ya, its probably more like a call to Furrion. I don't know why they build a solar system (which is good thing) without a simple switch to break the circuit from the panels to the controller. Or a ""battery cut off switch" that doesn't do what its named to do. Thanks for the holler back !
                  Did you get in contact with Furrion? John is correct that Furrion did not build in an on/off switch, so the only way to turn it off is to disconnect the battery leads at the controller or at the battery itself. Another scratch-your-head decision by Furrion. (Not bashing, but I sure as heck am questioning their decision!)

My .02 (and all it's worth): install your own on/off switch to make it convenient. Very easy mod if you're familiar at all with wiring. If not familiar or don't have any tools, this is a perfect task to grab a friend who is knowledgeable and learn some basics.

Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Per the Furrion manual,
                    Furrion MPPT charge controller with RV-C communication bus interface and RV-C CAN bus communication protocol is available to meet the communication requirements in RV.

What that means in layman terms is different components that use the RV-C CAN protocol (a language) to talk to each other can be connected through the Furrion's interface. I'm not sure (doubt it) if RV-C is the same as the protocol used in the CompassConnect systems. Since GD is not interfacing the component and I've never seen (in any presentation regardless of manufacturer) a OneControl connected to a Furrion solar controller, I'd bet they are different.
                    Great info, thank you Howard...... even in layman terms Im confused, LOL

I didn't reach out to Furrion since GD gave me what I needed (still waiting for return email regarding the pics they requested).

I will add a simple switch between the panels and the solar controller at some point. Thanks for the picture behind the bump out J & J. I was going to pull it off today and have a look to see what switch ill need and where to run it to, but the blistering heat here caused my Inverter install to take a lot longer, but I'm in no hurry.

Thanks everyone
                    Southeast Valley, AZ

Comment

.... even in layman terms Im confused, LOL
                      Permit me to try again!

Think of the communication port as a way to send a message from one device to another. The port writes and reads English, so as long as all the devices connected together read and write English they work together and are "smart". If one component writes and reads German, or French, or <insert language here> they won't be able to communicate. A Tower of Babel?

A communication protocol is not much different. As long as each device "speaks the same language" they can send and receive data to each other. The Furrion's protocol ("language") appears to be different from Lippert's OneControl (the foundation of GD's CompassConnect) so I don't see much use for Furrion's communication port in our trailer (with what I know as of today).

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Permit me to try again!

Think of the communication port as a way to send a message from one device to another. The port writes and reads English, so as long as all the devices connected together read and write English they work together and are "smart". If one component writes and reads German, or French, or <insert language here> they won't be able to communicate. A Tower of Babel?

A communication protocol is not much different. As long as each device "speaks the same language" they can send and receive data to each other. The Furrion's protocol ("language") appears to be different from Lippert's OneControl (the foundation of GD's CompassConnect) so I don't see much use for Furrion's communication port in our trailer (with what I know as of today).

the Ah-Ha moment....... you certainly didn't need to educate me but Im glad you did, thank you sir. Now I gotta look up what CompassConnect is, lol....... thanks again
                        Southeast Valley, AZ

Comment

the Ah-Ha moment....... you certainly didn't need to educate me but Im glad you did, thank you sir. Now I gotta look up what CompassConnect is, lol....... thanks again
                          Doh! The Transcend is the one GD line that doesn't have some version of CompassConnect. Sorry 'bout that...no wonder it didn't make any sense.

Comment

I’m not having much luck with GD regarding the Furrion charge controller either. I have a 2022 Reflection 315RLTS and could not find the disconnects for either the solar or batteries. The charge controller is located in the front pass through and as near as I can determine the wires from the solar panel run directly to the controller and the wire to batteries run through a self resetting breaker under the a frame. I spoke with GD customer service and they essentially told me to call furrion. If this is any indication of their service my two week old camper will be for sale sooner rather than later.
                            Additionally we have the Furrion 16 cu. ft. DC refrigerator, which we love. However it is on a 15 amp circuit w/12 ga. wire which would be fine if it was a traditional 120v ac / propane fridge with 12 volt controls. The installation manual says to use 10 ga. wire which is typically fused 20-30 amps.
                            Enough rants for now, happy hour fast approaching🤗
                            We really want to love this camper and mostly do but…………….we shall see.
                            Rick and Linda
                            Texas snow birds and summer South Dakotans in the beautiful Black Hills.
                            2022 GD Reflection 315RLTS
                            2020 GMC HD2500 std bed w/ARE topper and slider deck.

Comment

Hello everyone! I am new to the site and a new GD owner (just purchased a new 28BH), but not new to solar technologies. If you look in the Furrion manual for the 50A controller that is coming in the new reflection builds it will specifically tell us to never have the PV (solar panels) connected to the controller without first having a battery connected. This is the same guidance provided from Renogy for the system I installed in my garage a while back. With that in mind, it is a bit odd that there is no disconnect for the solar input wires coming from the panels on the roof. I plan to add a switch in the front cargo area (where the controller and battery are installed), so that I can disconnect the panels any time I need to disconnect the battery for some reason. It may never harm the controller to have the panels connected without a battery (I cringed a bit when our unit first arrived at the dealer and saw that there was no battery in the unit and the Furrion controller still had the panels connected, but the system appears fine after they installed the battery), but my preference is to follow the manufacturers instructions where possible.

With regards to the ampacity ratings of the wires, remember that electrical wiring (of any type... RV, home, etc...) is limited by the number of amps, with voltage allowance typically being very high (usually 300-600V for wire that would be used in our campers). Since amps can be calculated by dividing watts / voltage, it means that DC wiring with low voltage systems (12V or 24V for what we are looking at in the RV world) would have to be a higher gauge (thicker) than what that same draw would require in a home at 120V (since the lower voltage will translate into a higher amp draw for the same number of watts). All that to say that the wire gauge size requirements are the same for our campers as they are in our houses when comparing amps to amps. The typical sizing would be 15A on 14 gauge, 20A on 12 gauge, 30A on 10 gauge, etc... If GD has installed a 15 amp breaker or fuse on 12 gauge wire, then it is properly protected, and even a gauge larger (thicker) than would technically be required. My guess is that the 12 gauge wire is used to avoid voltage drop between the source and the refrigerator since voltage drop occurs at shorter cable lengths with lower voltage systems.

Apologies for the extended explanation, but I know there are varying degrees of electrical knowledge in the world and hopefully it is helpful for someone else at some point!

Comment

Working...
                              X