Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Victron Lynx Distributor just expensive bling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Victron Lynx Distributor just expensive bling?

I've heard some people say the Victron Lynx Distributor is just an over priced bus bar. I used one in my solar project because it made for a cleaner install. Ok, I also used it because it's Victron blue! Anyway, this video explains how the Lynx Distributor is a better value than it may first appear.

Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

I think I remember a post on the forum where someone had a Lynx distributor crack and fail, but I can't find it by searching. Maybe it was howson ?

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      I think I remember a post on the forum where someone had a Lynx distributor crack and fail, but I can't find it by searching. Maybe it was howson ?

Jim
      I think Howard had his AM Solar Smart Phase Selector crack.
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

I am using the Lynx Power In unit - same without the fuse holders and electronics. It does save space. If I had it to do over I might have gone with the Blue Sea 600 amp bus bars, but they are a bit more expensive the the power in and do take up more room.. However using the separate bus bars might give some flexibility in arrangement - especially for battery cables.

Just my 02
        Keith

PS TucsonJim Jim I have never heard of a unit cracking. I did a lot of reading before deciding to go the way I did. But that does not mean it hasn't or could. I could see the plastic cracking if you over tightened the lugs - I was careful not to do so.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

IMO the Lynx Distributor makes sense with the Lynx Shunt--which is an alternative to SmartShunt or BMV's shunt. The wire between the Distributor and Lynx Shunt is unique.

As a standalone there are less expensive alternatives.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

I think Howard had his AM Solar Smart Phase Selector crack.
            That's right. No wonder I couldn't find it in my search.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I wish I had gotten it. I think it not only makes it cleaner of an install....but for me it may have been less wiring and in the end...I don't think it is more expensive. If you add up everything you buy to replace it (extra wiring, lugs, fuse, bus bars)....I think they are more comparable than most realize.

Again, I wish I had done it....I would recommend anyone doing a new install to buy them over the amazon parts I used (not that mine are bad)....
              2020 Imagine 2400BH
              2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

I am glad we got the Lynx as it made connecting everything together easy. I think it is also a cleaner way to connect wires to the bus bar.

Comment

You guys just like seeing sky blue in the basement...... Gives you a feeling of superiority......The Victron gang...

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                    You guys just like seeing sky blue in the basement...... Gives you a feeling of superiority......The Victron gang...
                    Uhhh,.... yeah. it's gotta match.

Honestly, I couldn't find a 1000A busbar with fuse holders and lights that show you if a fuse is blown for cheaper.
                    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

Uhhh,.... yeah. it's gotta match.

Honestly, I couldn't find a 1000A busbar with fuse holders and lights that show you if a fuse is blown for cheaper.
                      Unfortunately the lights will only work if you have the Victron Lynx shunt attached, with out it the lights are very dull.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Unfortunately the lights will only work if you have the Victron Lynx shunt attached, with out it the lights are very dull.

Brian
                        Ya, just a short time ago, like a week ago, a member had a blown fuse on the lynx buss bar and the light was not visible - or at least didn't jump out at him. I thought it was odd but didn't add it to the thread because he had found the blown fuse and multiplus was back in service.
                        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                        Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Brian

I saw a video a while ago on how to make them work. Fair warning I haven't tried this yet but I don't see any issue with what he's describing.

https://youtu.be/8h-E1lkYCKg

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Brian
                            I forgot about that. The Shunt provides something like 5V to the Distributor.....and the Lynx Shunt is not cheap.
                            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I saw a video a while ago on how to make them work. Fair warning I haven't tried this yet but I don't see any issue with what he's describing.

https://youtu.be/8h-E1lkYCKg
                              That video has a link to the power converter Amazon.com: Wolfwhoop PW-D Control Buck Converter 6-24V to 5V 1.5A Step-Down Regulator Module Power Inverter Volt Stabilizer : Electronics​. This is for a package of 4, I guess I could make 4 of these up and give 3 away as door prizes. I think I will attempt this modification, it will be cool to have the lights on.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X