Victron inverter settings - Input Current Limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victron inverter settings - Input Current Limit

I have the new Victron Multiplus II 12v 3000 120x2. It has worked perfectly since I installed it in March. One thing that has puzzled me since my install is the Input Current Limit setting. My came set at 30 amps. I've tried to figure out what this setting does but I'm still not clear. Every video and forum/blog post I've seen has this value set to 50 amps by default so I'm not sure why mine is set to 30 amps.

If it's set at 30 amps, does that mean the inverter only allows a max of 30 amps from shore power and if the need exceeds this, it's supplied from the batteries? Does the input current limit need to be changed as you move from 15, 30 and 50 amp service? That seems a little much.

We normally stay at RV parks with 50 amp service but we did just stay at my SIL's house which had 30 amp service.

Can anybody clarify what this setting does and what I should set mine to?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
    Can anybody clarify what this setting does and what I should set mine to?
    Short answer: set the Input Current Limit to match the maximum current provided by the shore power connection. For you that is normally 50A.

Long answer: The Input Current Limit setting on the Multiplus should be 50A given you're connected to 50A service. Since the maximum power the camper will draw on a single leg is 50A, the Multiplus' PowerAssist will not be used. (If it did the camper's 50A breaker would pop.)

If you're connected to 30A service, there's potentially another 20A on the 120v leg the camper can draw. This is where the Multiplus' PowerAssist kicks in. The Multiplus will add up to 25A of additional 120vAC to the leg. (In reality no more than 20 since the total draw can only be 50A.) Since your camper's legs are tied together with a 30A adapter, the Multiplus will even go into overload (for a short period) to try and meet high demands if circuits on both 50A legs are demanding power.

Where the PowerAssist really shines is when attached to 15A service. First, the Multiplus will not allow the camper to draw more than 15A from the shore power connection (so you don't pop the shore breaker). Then, when you need more than 15A, the Multiplus adds what you need up to an additional 25A (for a total of 40A). This is really a great feature when boondocking or moochdocking as you can't inadvertently blow your host's breaker. (Also true for the 30A setup--the Multiplus will not draw more than 30A from the shore power connection.)

IMO changing the Input Current Limit setting to match the shore power is a minor inconvenience for the benefits.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Thank you!

That is by far the best explanation I've seen for the Input Current Limit setting! I'm lucky it was set to 30amps while we were at the 30amp site over the last few weeks otherwise we would have tripped the breaker a few times. I was expecting the Multiplus to recognize the shore power service automatically and set the input current limit accordingly. That's what I thought was happening when I saw it set to 30 amps while connected to 30 amp service since everything I saw online was set to 50 amps. Now that I understand (more or less) how it works, I'll adjust it myself. And now that I know I can use Victron Connect rather than VE Configure with the MK3 USB adapter to change this setting, it only takes a few seconds so it's no big deal.

I did test the Power Assist mode a few times over the last few weeks while connected to 30amp service and it is pretty cool!! My wife wasn't very excited about it but I was!

The one thing that puzzles me now is what was happening in April right after my install when we were connected to 50 amp service with Input Current Limit set to 30amps. I don't recall if we ever used two A/C units at that time but I'm pretty sure we did. I'm wondering what would have happened if we did. This is where my understanding of Input Current Limit gets a little fuzzy in regards to the two 50 amp legs and I'm wondering if my Multiple II makes it behave differently than the original Multiplus. Minor detail. I'm just going to switch this value if we are connected to anything less than 30amp service.

Thanks again Howard for your help. I'm going to need to dig deep into my wallet in order to buy you enough cold beverages for all the help you've given me if I ever meet you in person.
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

bertschb -- thank you for the kind words and I'm glad to help where I can (or confuse as applicable, lol).

The Multiplus will only PowerAssist on the primary leg (L1) not both legs even though it connects to and passes both legs in your fancy new Multiplus II. From the Datasheet:

PowerAssist takes the principle of PowerControl to a further dimension. Where peak power is so often required only for a limited period, the MultiPlus-II will compensate insufficient generator, shore or grid power with power from the battery. When the load reduces, the spare power is used to recharge the battery (available on L1 input only).
        What this means in your scenario is if L1 exceeded 30 amps then PowerAssist kicked in (without your knowledge). Since the second air conditioner is on L2, all the Multiplus did was pass the 50A shore power. PowerControl (limiting how much the Multiplus will draw from the pedestal), and PowerAssist only applies to L1, neither applies to L2.

The gotcha with the Multiplus II is the same as when I had AMSolar's Smart Phase Selector. Let's say you're running both air conditioners on shore power (50A pedestal). You step away from the camper and without your knowledge shore power fails. The Multiplus II ties together the two legs and will attempt to keep powering the two air conditioners (and probably will in overload mode for quite some time if that's the only draw) but that means your batteries will quickly deplete.

Bottom line: pay attention to what you leave on when away from the camper. Only leave running what you want the Multiplus to power if shore power should fail.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Ok, I need to remember that PowerControl and PowerAssist only applies to L1. I wonder how long I'll be able to remember that? Hmmm

I'm looking forward to the unofficially announced future firmware update for the Multiplus II that is supposed to show loads for both legs. That threw me off again yesterday briefly when I had both A/C's running with 50amp service. It showed AC loads of around 1,800 watts. Took me a couple seconds to remember that was only for one leg.
          Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Working...
          X