Victron Inverter, Keurig and flickering lights, overload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victron Inverter, Keurig and flickering lights, overload

I have a Victron 3000 watt Inverter. Our Keurig started to cause our 12V lights to flicker, then more recently had an instance while plugged in to 50 amp service with inverter active I had an overload (actually 2). Learned that the Keurig uses triacs that only rectify the top part of the AC sine wave. This causes the inverter to overload because it thinks it needs to produce a lot more power for the Keurig.

I have seen similar issues with laser printers. Replaced the Keurig with a low end model that just heats the water without using a triac to control the heating element.

No issues running microwave, AC unit or anything else - with 50 amp service, 12 amps from inverter generator, or just the Victron.

Maybe this will help others.
    Last edited by openrangeowners; 06-23-2021, 11:29 PM.
    2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
    1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
    2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks so much for sharing. I had the same issue w/ my nespresso machine running off of my Victron multiplus II 2x120v. I found that if I run my generator while making coffee it appears to smooth things out. If anyone happens upon an espresso machine that does *not* use a triac, let me know. I know… #firstWorldProblems.

Comment

Originally posted by openrangeowners View Post
        I have a Victron 3000 watt Inverter. Our Keurig started to cause our 12V lights to flicker, then more recently had an instance while plugged in to 50 amp service with inverter active I had an overload (actually 2). Learned that the Keurig uses triacs that only rectify the top part of the AC sine wave. This causes the inverter to overload because it thinks it needs to produce a lot more power for the Keurig.

I have seen similar issues with laser printers. Replaced the Keurig with a low end model that just heats the water without using a triac to control the heating element.

No issues running microwave, AC unit or anything else - with 50 amp service, 12 amps from inverter generator, or just the Victron.

Maybe this will help others.
        Cant help on the triac, but your lights are all 12V, so unless the power issue is effecting the converter and sending voltage spikes I cant see how the one would effect the other. I am assuming your disconnect switch is on (batterys connected) A test would be to switch the converter off and try the Keuring again. If no flickering you will know the converter is somehow effected. I am assuming your Victron is not a Multiplus with the built in converter, If it is then I am probably way off base on this.

Trying to help
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I have a Victron Multiplus II 2x 120, so it is a combined converter charger. I assume the 12v light flickering is from the fact that the inverter is surging so hard and pulling so much current at once. I have 3x 100 Ah Battleborn batteries in series w/ 0000 cable. It feels to me like the triac is putting too much of a load on the inverter, I don’t intend to push it anymore, I’ll just run the generator when I need to make an espresso.

Comment

So glad others have seen this with the Victron MP2 and the Keurig -- I absolutely am seeing this same behavior. I am verifying with my Victron supplier my settings - but for me the answer is to remove the Keurig.
            Mark & Julie
            2021 GD 303RLS; GooseBox Hitch; towed by Ram 3500 SRW

Comment

I know this is an older thread but luckily I just came across it while doing a search. I have had my MultiPlus 12/120 3000VA for 2½ years & also have a Keurig. I have 420 amp hours capacity of lithium iron phos. batteries. We have been hearing an odd intermittent super fast clicking/vibrating buzzing sound for a couple of years now and I just wrote it off as maybe a slight defect in the Victron unit. It didn't seem to be hurting anything. I did notice though that even incandescent lights had a flicker to them while the sound was happening. We always noticed it while we were plugged into shore power. We have commented between my wife and I that we only seem to hear it in the mornings. After reading this post I realized why because we only drink coffee in the mornings. We are going to try a different brand K-cup coffee maker and see if it eliminates the sound.
              We had one instance of overload when the microwave was run apparently while the Keurig was in the heating mode
              2021 Transcend Xplor 260 RB
              2022 F-250 Lariat CrewCab 6⅓ bed 7.3 liter gas V-8, Antimatter Blue, Curt TruTrack WD hitch
              upgraded from '05 F-250, 6 liter

Comment

Originally posted by HankW View Post
                I know this is an older thread but luckily I just came across it while doing a search. I have had my MultiPlus 12/120 3000VA for 2½ years & also have a Keurig. I have 420 amp hours capacity of lithium iron phos. batteries. We have been hearing an odd intermittent super fast clicking/vibrating buzzing sound for a couple of years now and I just wrote it off as maybe a slight defect in the Victron unit. It didn't seem to be hurting anything. I did notice though that even incandescent lights had a flicker to them while the sound was happening. We always noticed it while we were plugged into shore power. We have commented between my wife and I that we only seem to hear it in the mornings. After reading this post I realized why because we only drink coffee in the mornings. We are going to try a different brand K-cup coffee maker and see if it eliminates the sound.
                We had one instance of overload when the microwave was run apparently while the Keurig was in the heating mode
                I know there was a firmware fix a while back that reduced some of the buzzing sound it used to make. You might look into checking the firmware if you have not. This was on the Type 2 120x2 unit I think.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Mine seems to upgrade about every 3rd time I use Victron Connect. Or is that only upgrading the app?
                  2022 F-250 Lariat CrewCab 6⅓ bed 7.3 liter gas V-8, Antimatter Blue, Curt TruTrack WD hitch

Comment

Mine seems to upgrade about every 3rd time I use Victron Connect. Or is that only upgrading the app?
                    In Victron Connect from your phone you can only upgrade the firmware of your shunt and solar controller. The Multiplus you need to connect to a laptop. You need a MK3 to USB cable. Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpiF...rrentConnected
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Okay that's good to know and I already have the MK3
                      Thanks

Comment

Okay that's good to know and I already have the MK3
                        Thanks
                        No problem, hope it helps!

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                        X